Inside Atmos Equipped Studios

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The videos consist mostly of testimonials from the studio owners and engineers touting Atmos with lots of superlatives and no real demos. ("I cried when I heard 'Rocket Man,'" etc.) But it's cool to get a look inside the facilities.

Here's Blackbird Studios:

Yet another studio supporting itself selling high priced 'recording lessons' to some poor kids to then try and go off to work at places that no longer exist.

Having said that it's clearly a first class studio. That's where I'd want to mix my Atmos album.

Yet another studio supporting itself selling high priced 'recording lessons' to some poor kids to then try and go off to work at places that no longer exist.

Having said that it's clearly a first class studio. That's where I'd want to mix my Atmos album.
I have a hunch that the lessons are well worth it, and prepare students not just to work at existing (or former) studios but with a breadth of knowledge and experience preparing for the unknown new recording situations yet to happen. :D

Last edited:
Not really the right thread, but: Has anyone been able to get these "Hear from the Masters" (Steve Genewick, Bob Clearmountain, et al.) videos to play? I really want to watch the most recent one, where Chuck Ainlay talks about mixing Lyle Lovett's 12th of June in Atmos, but every time I click on one the videos, I get a blank pop-up. Same result in three browsers--Edge, Chrome, and now Safari.
https://professional.dolby.com/music/hear-from-the-masters/
EDIT: I found the corresponding YouTube Channel.

Chuck Ainlay (lots of details about 12th of June, including glimpses of Nuendo sessions):

Bombshell: he's preparing to do the entire George Strait catalogue--36 albums!--starting with Pure Country. Interesting comments on moving from stereo to Atmos (he did both mixes for 12th of June). "I kind of am irritated a bit with the way people are approaching a lot of these Atmos mixes, where they're just doing stems and then putting the stems in different spaces . . . I think it needs to be more creative than that; I think you really need to personalize the Atmos or spatial mix. They are two separate entities: a spatial mix is a different thing from a stereo mix to get the same kind of emotional reaction."

Bob Clearmountain (he's big on the bed because he likes to "anchor" things; "object-wise, I keep it pretty simple"):

"I want people to hear these mixes the way I hear them." Headphones are all well and good, he says, but consumer audio companies need to ramp up production of inexpensive, well-functioning wireless systems to make it easier for people to install more speakers in their living rooms. A few comments on The Band, A Bad Think, Joe Bonamassa, and Roxy Music.

Steve Genewick (on mixing the Cynthia Erivo album: "The only thing they said to me was, 'Just go crazy'"):

Recounts once again his "ambient" technique for adapting 3-track recordings (like Kind of Blue and the vintage Blue Notes) for Atmos, and the slightly different templates he uses for vintage Verve and Impulse! titles. Some good stuff on speakers vs. headphones (seems clear that if Genewick had his way, he would not call the headphone version "Atmos"), on Norah Jones (it's all about "space"), and on filtering LFE. Sidenote: Genewick also does his own mastering.

"Hear from the Masters" Playlist:

Last edited:
I had a chance to visit a certified Atmos studio here in Mexico last week and it was amazing. PMC monitors, and a 16" SVS subwoofer. After listening to music at a proper studio I didnt leave feeling bummed about how my setup doesnt compare to it, because Klipsch is quite affordable, and to me it's a bang for the buck, but I wished I had the right distances between speakers, my rears are way too close to the coach.
Anyway, /hijack.

IMG_20220722_185706.jpg

IMG_20220722_181838.jpg

Last edited:
Not really the right thread, but: Has anyone been able to get these "Hear from the Masters" (Steve Genewick, Bob Clearmountain, et al.) videos to play? I really want to watch the most recent one, where Chuck Ainlay talks about mixing Lyle Lovett's 12th of June in Atmos, but every time I click on one the videos, I get a blank pop-up. Same result in three browsers--Edge, Chrome, and now Safari.
https://professional.dolby.com/music/hear-from-the-masters/
Edit: found the corresponding YouTube Channel.

Chuck Ainlay:

Bob Clearmountain:

Steve Genewick:

"Hear from the Masters" Playlist:

All these play for me in Opera.

These YouTube videos work w/Firefox Browser 103.0 w/W 10

(ever since a W 10 autoupdate in late January 2021 "broke" Edge for a few days, I changed to using Firefox)

Kirk Bayne

"Studio A has the most powerful Genelec Dolby Atmos system in the United States to date and includes a horizontal array consisting of seven soffit-mounted 1234A Smart Active Monitors™ for L-C-R and surrounds, four 8351B monitors above the mix position acting as the overhead array, and two 7382A subwoofers handling bass management as well as the LFE."
1660869053186.png

"Studio B is based around Genelec’s “The Ones” Smart Active Monitor family and features seven 8351B monitors for the L-C-R and surrounds, four 8341A monitors for the overhead array, and two 7380A subwoofers handling bass management and the LFE."
1660869177353.png

https://www.mansionsound.comhttps://www.musicconnection.com/mansion-sound-equips-with-genelec-dolby-atmos-system/

Pino Pinaxa's studio in Italy (the first Italian Atmos studio, back in 2020, now there are more I guess).

Here's the full article:
https://amphion.fi/user-stories/pinaxa-studio-first-dolby-atmos-approved-music-room-in-italy/
He remixed to Atmos Battiato's La Voce del Padrone, L'imboscata and the compilation Correnti Gravitazionali.

01-2000x1316.jpeg

06-2000x1363.jpeg
So exquisite. But what's with the couch against the back wall? It's not a good listening spot, but perhaps it's a nice place to take a nap after and intensive Atmos mixing session.

So exquisite. But what's with the couch against the back wall? It's not a good listening spot, but perhaps it's a nice place to take a nap after and intensive Atmos mixing session.
Yes, after a long session sitting on the chair, It should be good to go to the coach to sit or lie on it. Also it should be the place for guests who are looking/listening what he does, some little apart so as not to disturb.

On this kind of pictures I always look for the Top Atmos speakers location and orientation. This seems to be exactly at 45º and Pointing directly to the mixer chair. Always comparing with the Steven Wilson studio top speakers that seem to be pointing downwards to the floor.

Yes, after a long session sitting on the chair, It should be good to go to the coach to sit or lie on it. Also it should be the place for guests who are looking/listening what he does, some little apart so as not to disturb.

On this kind of pictures I always look for the Top Atmos speakers location and orientation. This seems to be exactly at 45º and Pointing directly to the mixer chair. Always comparing with the Steven Wilson studio top speakers that seem to be pointing downwards to the floor.
See I'd take Steven's setup any day over this one. To me in no way is this optimized at all. The front height speakers are nearly directly over the front main speakers. Also you can see the rear mains aren't on the same plane and/or they have to move the rear left speaker back to accommodate opening the door. But in almost any room not built for surround there are going to be compromises.

Back