installing Sony 2070 decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4audio

Well, I've got my new sony 2070 decoder in my hand, but I am not quite sure how to hook
it up. I just don't want to blow any fuses, etc.
The back of the unit has what reads as:

Input from Rec out (lt and Rt)
Output to Tape in (lt and Rt)
Output to Back Amp (lt and Rt)
Rec out (lt and Rt)

I am pretty clear where the (output to tape in) goes to.
I don't know about the input from Rec out?? Does this mean record or reciever?
Also, what about the input from Rec out?

I am running this through my Sansui QRX 7500 reciever. There are oodles of options for inputs,
however there is no, what I think is called a pre-amp in/out section
Please don't let it be that I can't run through this reciever!?
Any help here is greatly appreciated. Keep it in novice terms if you will. :)

Thanks,
Chris
(Ready with DSOTM on the platter)

I forgot to ask about the section that reads (To back amp)
Where does that connect to.

Chris

It sounds like input from record out (on the decoder) connects to "record out" or "tape out" on the receiver or amp. This output (on the receiver) is normally fed to the input of a tape recorder, but the SQ decoder will receive it instead. It is actually the output of the preamp section of your receiver. The "input from record out" on the decoder is actually the main input of the decoder. There is probably another set of jacks that allows you to connect a tape recorder (on the decoder), and an apropriate tape monitor switch, since you are clogging up the tape monitor loop with the decoder. This was the standard way of connecting processors back then. The jacks that read to back amp are connected to the rear channels on a quad amp. They are making the assumption that since you purchased an outboard decoder, that you are using it with a stereo system you are converting to quad. In that case, you add another stereo amp and set of speakers. Remember, outputs always go to inputs.

The Quadfather

Dear Chris,

I own a Sony SQD-2070 that I purchased new back when. The owners manual explains the system connections which I will get to in a moment. First one must realize that the outboard decoder was primarily designed to add decoding to a system without a decoder. The assumption was that one would use it in a system that had a stereo receiver or amplifier for the front channels and a second stereo amplifier for the back channels. The common way to hook up such a decoder and how it is shown in the manual was to use the tape monitor loop of the front amplifier as follows:

1. Connect the record out on the front amplifier to the input on the Sony SQD-2070 labeled “From Rec Out” using a standard stereo patch cord.

2. Connect the “To Tape In” outputs on the Sony SQD-2070 to the Tape In on the front amplifier.

3. Connect the “To Back Amp” output on the Sony SQD-2070 to the Aux inputs on the back amplifier.

4. Connect the “Rec Out” output on the Sony SQD-2070 to the line inputs of the tape deck that would have otherwise been connected to the front amplifier’s record out connections. If you are not using a tape deck no connection is needed.

To engage the decoder one would switch in the tape monitor on the front amplifier which causes the stereo signal to be connected to the input of the SQD-2070. In the SQD-2070 the stereo signal is decoded into four channels. The two front channels return to the front amplifier through the tape monitor inputs and the two rear channels are routed to the Back amplifier auxiliary inputs.

Connecting to your Sansui QRX 7500. I do not have a QRX 7500 but I do have a QRX-9001 which I hope is similar enough to allow a description for a connection scheme. The QRX-9001 has only one four channel tape monitor loop which is labeled TAPE 2. If this is the case with the QRX-7500 then in the following steps be sure to use the TAPE 2 output/inputs.

1. Using the four channel tape monitor loop on the QRX 7500, connect the front channel's record out (labeled REC on the receiver’s back panel) to the input on the Sony SQD-2070 labeled “From Rec Out” using a standard stereo patch cord.

2. Connect the “To Tape In” outputs on the Sony SQD-2070 to the PLAY Front inputs of QRX-7500.

3. Connect the “To Back Amp” outputs on the Sony SQD-2070 to the PLAY Back inputs of QRX-7500.

4. Connect the “Rec Out” output on the Sony SQD-2070 to the line inputs of the tape deck that would have otherwise been connected to the QRX-7500 record out connections. If you are not using a tape deck no connection is needed.

To listen through the Sony SQD-2070 engage the appropriate tape monitor switch on the Sansui QRX 7500 front panel. On the QRX-9001 that would be TAPE MONITOR 2, 4-CH TAPE

I hope this answers more questions than it creates.

Sincerely yours,

tcdriver

Thanks for the info guys.
TC driver, especially for that detailed QRX 9001 info.

Chris

Back