Integrex NRDC decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought this , I used to own one years ago, at least I should be able to decode my UHJ CDs without a pc
4B25CDBA-EDAD-4087-92E4-B3EB158E6085.jpeg

Using the correct (matrix) decoder for the encoded content is, IMHO, best.

AFAIK, Ambisonic encoding is being used for video game soundtracks but rarely for surround sound audio recordings.

Kirk Bayne

Using the correct (matrix) decoder for the encoded content is, IMHO, best.

AFAIK, Ambisonic encoding is being used for video game soundtracks but rarely for surround sound audio recordings.

Kirk Bayne
I’ve a number of UHJ recordings on CD from Nimbus Records

I've had 2 of these devices in my life. One was purchased fully built at the Integrex plant in England, the next I built for a friend. In fact Wireless World brought this to life as a magazine kit project, parts supplied by Integrex. A reprint with more info can be found here:

http://integrexambisonicsdecoder.blogspot.com/
You might have already seen this as it has a matching pic to the one you posted. There is not much owner friendly info published by the factory on this but there is a huge amount of info on Ambisonics on wiki, the web in general, and there are some good links on QQ's front page.

I was underwhelmed by anything Ambisonic when it was new. Most stuff was classical/ambient. There were no real showcase pieces of music to demo the claims made by Ambisonic proponents. And the QS/SQ/stereo modes left much to be desired compared to other methods.

On the other hand it is an accurate way to decode UHJ. And I notice quite a few indie artists are offering Ambisonics in high res downloads on various websites. So there is a minor resurgence.

As long as you have this device why not plug it in, give it a try & make up your own mind. Unless it's had some mods made keep in mind it supposed to work off Brits 220V. And those are funky DIN connections on the back.

Just bought this , I used to own one years ago, at least I should be able to decode my UHJ CDs without a pc View attachment 74631
Where did you find it? Over years of looking (sporadically on eBay) I've only ever seen maybe two decoders ever for sale! Back in the days of Quad Quarterly/MCS Review, Bill Somerwick always raved about Ambisonics. As Sonic has mentioned there was a complete lack of popular program material available which is why I never bought into it. I've always been a bit curious though. Do an internet search for Ambisonics and all you seem to find are microphones and software mostly designed for recording. Not much/anything in the way of a hardware decoder. DSP's I guess would allow higher order decoding than was available in the past with a hardware decoder such as that one shown.

Where did you find it? Over years of looking (sporadically on eBay) I've only ever seen maybe two decoders ever for sale! Back in the days of Quad Quarterly/MCS Review, Bill Somerwick always raved about Ambisonics. As Sonic has mentioned there was a complete lack of popular program material available which is why I never bought into it. I've always been a bit curious though. Do an internet search for Ambisonics and all you seem to find are microphones and software mostly designed for recording. Not much/anything in the way of a hardware decoder. DSP's I guess would allow higher order decoding than was available in the past with a hardware decoder such as that one shown.
I bought it on eBay, I’ve had a few searches setup and it’s taken a few years to find one, it came with a Beomaster 5000 tuner which I will sell on, I’ve all the software to listen via a PC but I always wanted something so I could just play records, CDs etc without having software

I've been keeping an eye out with searches for the various vintage Ambisonic decoders. Whether they're Minim, IMF Electronics, or this NRDC, they're all scarce. I've often wondered if they were most common in the UK (but scarce elsewhere) because of the BBC's use of Ambisonics and simply just don't come up for resale, or if I'm missing a UK hi-fi sales website I don't know about where they're all hiding out, or if they are simply outright uncommon.

I've been keeping an eye out with searches for the various vintage Ambisonic decoders. Whether they're Minim, IMF Electronics, or this NRDC, they're all scarce. I've often wondered if they were most common in the UK (but scarce elsewhere) because of the BBC's use of Ambisonics and simply just don't come up for resale, or if I'm missing a UK hi-fi sales website I don't know about where they're all hiding out, or if they are simply outright uncommon.
You are probably right... most common in the UK. But I've owned an Intregrex and IMF decoder. The latter is like a stripped down Integrex NRDC unit with similar decoding ability for stereo, UHJ. Never had Minim. I'd say buy one just to satisfy your curiosity if you find it cheap. If you own a considerable amount of UHJ content then follow suggestions such as from @4-earredwonder to play back by Meridian.

Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread at one point, Meridian is the route I expect to go in a year or so. I've taken the NRDC off my list of units to acquire because of others talking about lackluster decoding. It's interesting to hear that in your experience it and the IMF are about the same. Do you think those impressions might come from a lot of the recordings being ambient surrounds with little rear channel excitement?

Hi
I had to wait 2-3years to find this, I’ve eBay searches setup and just wait, I had to buy a Beomaster Tuner with it, which I’ve repaired and will sell.
They’re not common at all, if you just want Ambisonics then it’s easier to get a used Meridian pre amp .

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of Ambisonic decoding with the NRDC unit when you're able, and if you're able to A/B it against any other Ambisonic decoders, if you have any others.

Back