Intel NUC (NUC8i3BEH) - How To: Installation of Parts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Continues from my post on the new 8th generation NUCs: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/intel-nuc-8th-generation-thumbs-up.25638/

An Intel 8th generation NUC makes an ideal, relatively low cost media player. Its really small (4"/100mm square) has HDMI output and both wireless/Ethernet (1GBE LAN) connection, can be controlled remotely over you wifi network or via a 3rd party wireless or infrared remote control. NUCS support multichannel 192/24 7.1 audio and can play DTS-HDMA/TrueHD/Atmos audio via HDMI passthrough to an AVR and can play 4K UHD/1080p HD video.

NUCs come as a 'barebones' box. You will need to also buy memory and a small 'hard drive' (actually it will be a solid sate SSD drive - extreme speed). This is the recommended configuration which you can buy at Amazon or your local PC hardware store, this is the exact configuration I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/....3=B07BN5FJZQ&Quantity.3=1&add.x=127&add.y=26

There's no software included. You would need to install Windows (license required) or you can install LibreElec/Kodi (free). The latest LibreElec/Kodi Leia version now supports Hires Multichannel audio from FLAC.

If you plan to use LibreElec/Kodi I'd recommend purchasing a Minix Neo A2 air/gyroscopic mouse/remote (wifi) too. Amazon sells those for around $25. Here's all the bits including the Minix remote (memory at front, SSD drive, NUC at back).

https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Keyboard-Six-Axis-Gyroscope-Technology/dp/B016OABW8S

EDIT: If you do use LibreElec it has iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android smartphone/tablet remote control apps you can use via your home wifi to control the media player, select next tracks while listening to current etc. JRiver has similar apps for Windows and smartphones/tablets too. I don’t know about Foobar compatible remotes.

NUC8image2.jpeg

Once you've got everything you'll need a small Phillips head screwdriver to assemble the memory and drive.

This is my recommended

STEP 1: Install NUC components (NUC, memory and disc drive)

1. Turn the NUC upside down:

NUC8image3.jpeg

Unscrew the 4 retaining screws in the 'feet' (they won't come completely out). Once loosened you can separate the base (black) from the silver housing (top). You may need to pry it open using a knife or small screw driver. The black base has no electronics, its effectively an upside-down lid. Please note its orientation so you can fit the base back on completion.

2. Once the base is off turn it up with silver top now on desk with all the electronics housed in this section:

NUC8image4.jpeg

On the 4th Gen NUC (in these photos) you will see 4 long sockets. The SSD will fit into the short socket at bottom left of the photo above. The memory fits into the long socket(s) at right marked 1.35V DDR3L

3. Insert the SSD drive

NUC8image5.jpeg

The SSD drive has a SATA style connector. Insert it as follows, but you'll need to unscrew and remove a small screw used to hold down the SSD (where the hole is at extreme top right of next picture)

NUC8image6.jpeg

Push gently and it will insert and cover all the pins. Now gently push it down to sit flat and screw in the retaining screw in the hole at opposite end to pins inserted (see above left)

4. Insert Memory (NOTE: You may have one single RAM module or you may have two - fit whatever you have)

NUC8image7.jpeg

The black 'HyperX' memory module is a right above.

Slide first memory (RAM) module into the bottom memory socket (there are two connectors, one for each memory module), ensure the module is correctly oriented. Once inserted push the module gently down flat and it will click into place and be held down.

Now insert the 2nd memory module:

NUC8image9.jpeg

5. Reassemble the lid

Your done. Please place the top back on the black base (ensure this is oriented properly).

Last edited:
I have been off QQ for some days because my NUC stopped working? I have the:
Intel NUC 7 Enthusiast A Mini PC with Windows 10 Core i7 2TB HDD 32GB Optane Memory 8GB DDR4 Gunmetal (BOXNUC7i7BNHXG)
Anyway came home from Niners game last Sunday, turned on JRiver via the remote app, everything great.
Woke up Monday, Christmas Eve morning and went to turn on and nothing, I use a program called Splashtop to access the NUC/Jriver from my PC laptop. I can't access and it does not show up on the LAN (Network). I think somehow it freaked out and went off the network, at least that is what I hope. I had to purchase on Monday, a mouse, keyboard, and screen, all cheap of course to access the NUC and hopefully it is not fried, and just put it back on the Network. I used my freinds keyboard,
etc, for set up last year, so I am thinking positive. I will say I have had some bad luck with my digital file library this year, all parts, but I keep being able to overcome and fix the problems, so not that bad.
Happy New Year.

Please let us know how this works out.

I just control the HTPC directly with a wireless keyboard. Video is routed to the TV.

I assume you cant use that type of setup?

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to go for a NUC! Thanks @HomerJAU for all your work providing the info! 🍻

Got all the bits I think I needed... (Been saving up for a while, so it was quite satisfying to finally get to the total!) I decided to go for a slightly bigger SSD as I'm running low on memory from other sources so thought it may come in handy further down the line?

Managed to install the RAM/SSD pretty easy... Installing Kodi was a bit more confusing? This NUC had a default security setting which I had to change to allow me to install LibreELEC from the USB... Pressing F2 when the Intel NUC logo came up took me to settings and I was able to go to the boot security options from there... I had to switch that off to install...

Now I have Kodi running but I can't work out to get any music from my NAS on it?! It's a WD EX2 Ultra but it just doesn't list it in the sources available? It's plugged in by ethernet... It just doesn't show up?! There are quite a few directories to look in but none of them make much sense?! So as yet not been able to play anything? Any ideas on how to find the NAS in the NUC?! :phones

Last edited:
Congrats MrSmithers!

You will need to allow access to your NAS from the new NUC. I use NFS and tell my NAS to allow access to the NUCs IP Address then navigate the Kodi Source to NFS then the IP Address of the NAS.

I did a search on Google and here’s a well documented method using DLNA and your NAS:
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-use-wd-my-cloud-as-media-server-for-kodi-krypton-17/
I hope this will help.

Be sure to set your music source in Kodi as ‘music’

THX
Garry

Here’s a post from the Kodi forum with another method (as I said I use NFS):

Quote:
I'll try and help here based on my experiences with my WD MyCloud Mirror NAS. I think the firmware on the two is very similar, so hopefully what I did should be something similar to what you need (my MCM does both of the functions that you want your EX2 to do). If you need it for reference on how to do various of the steps below and don't already have it, the EX2's manual is here on the WD page and may help on some of the EX2 dashboard settings items).

If the media folders are already in a share (either all from one share or under individual shares) then they should already be available to Kodi. All you need to do is add a source (Adding_video_sources (wiki) and equivalent for music) using the Windows network (SMB) share type when you get to the list (step 4 in the wiki walkthrough). The EX2 shares are automatically made available as SMB shares, either as public shares (without needing a username or password) or as private shares (needing a username and password of the relevant user set up on the EX2 who has appropriate access to the share). Then just browse to the IP address of your EX2 and select the relevant share (entering the log-in details if required)

Alternatively you can enable the NFS service on the EX2 (from the EX2 web dashboard, select settings from the right hand end of the top ribbon bar, then on the settings sub-menu select Network from the left and scroll down to NFS service on the right hand list and switch it on). Then go to the shares entry in the top ribbon bar, and for each share you can switch on NFS, when you do it should give you the URL to access it which is what you need to enter (or I think you can browse to it as well, as above). NFS is reported as being quicker and more reliable than SMB by some people, but it needs a little more setting up on the NAS end (although it's not too tricky).

End quote

I hope this helps.

Here’s a post from the Kodi forum with another method (as I said I use NFS):

Quote:
I'll try and help here based on my experiences with my WD MyCloud Mirror NAS. I think the firmware on the two is very similar, so hopefully what I did should be something similar to what you need (my MCM does both of the functions that you want your EX2 to do). If you need it for reference on how to do various of the steps below and don't already have it, the EX2's manual is here on the WD page and may help on some of the EX2 dashboard settings items).

If the media folders are already in a share (either all from one share or under individual shares) then they should already be available to Kodi. All you need to do is add a source (Adding_video_sources (wiki) and equivalent for music) using the Windows network (SMB) share type when you get to the list (step 4 in the wiki walkthrough). The EX2 shares are automatically made available as SMB shares, either as public shares (without needing a username or password) or as private shares (needing a username and password of the relevant user set up on the EX2 who has appropriate access to the share). Then just browse to the IP address of your EX2 and select the relevant share (entering the log-in details if required)

Alternatively you can enable the NFS service on the EX2 (from the EX2 web dashboard, select settings from the right hand end of the top ribbon bar, then on the settings sub-menu select Network from the left and scroll down to NFS service on the right hand list and switch it on). Then go to the shares entry in the top ribbon bar, and for each share you can switch on NFS, when you do it should give you the URL to access it which is what you need to enter (or I think you can browse to it as well, as above). NFS is reported as being quicker and more reliable than SMB by some people, but it needs a little more setting up on the NAS end (although it's not too tricky).

End quote

I hope this helps.

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :dance:dance:dance:dance

It worked!!! Thanks ever so much Garry I would never have been able to figure that out! Yes I had to change the NAS setting in the dock to enable NFS and allow the NUC access...

It's even playing Atmos! Wowzers?! This is going to be brilliant! :D

Last edited:
Excellent news!

Next things to do:

1. Get the Kodi Add-on: ArtistSlideshow (auto downloads and shows Artist images during music playback.

2. There’s a Kodi system option (in Network I think) to ‘Wake On LAN’ which auto turns on your NAS when you turn on your NUC.

Back