Interesting quick read

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote "....Quad though widely used to describe these devices, was actually trademarked in 1962 by an obscure British company (which in fact did not make 4-channel audio equipment!)....."

I wouldn't exactly call Quad obscure...they've been going since 1936 ,been selling worldwide for over 50 years and are still going strong, actually stronger than ever now and are the only audio hi-fi equipment manufacturer to win the the Queen's Award for Technological Achievement (back in 1978 for their Current Dumping amplifier) ...to find someone who has never heard of Quad ,but who is into high end audio would be a rare person indeed.

I believe the reference was meant to convey obscure to all US consumers with the exception of hi fi afficionados. If you didn't read Audio or High Fidelity or have a dealer actually carrying it (rare) back in the day, your chances of awareness were rather slim.

'Quad', the speaker folks, even put the heat on Larry Clifton, "requesting" that he change the name of his publication "Quad Incorporated" to something else (MCS Review).

Tim is right, however, I would guess 99.467% of America has no idea that there is an audio company in the UK named "Quad".

'Quad', the speaker folks, even put the heat on Larry Clifton, "requesting" that he change the name of his publication "Quad Incorporated" to something else (MCS Review).

Really? Never heard that. The word from Jay Frank at the time was that "Quad" had become a four-letter word, ending several careers.

Back