DTS-CD Interesting result of experiment with EMI CDs from 1970s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracower

I've just finished an interesting experiment. I had decoded (with kempfand's scripts for Audition 3.0) Suppe's "Boccaccio", recorded by EMI in 1974, with Rothenberger, Moser, Prey, Boehme and Willi Boskovsky conducting Bayerisches Symphonieorchester. Although it was never released in SQ version, it was recorded in 'quad time' of EMI. And strange thing happened, as I think.
After decoding it looked like that: 'rear' file was louder (a bit) than 'front' and contained nearby whole orchestra, which sounded strange and was nonsense, of course.
So what I've done, was inversion - I replaced fronts with rears and rears (after 3dB cut - IMHO rears cannot be too loud if you wish to have clear sound) with fronts and, to my big surprise... IT WORKS.
How do I know it? Well, it's not hard to find it with opera or operetta recording. First thing - voices. They are placed around with big realism and there's no doubt, that not accidentally. The same in dialogue parts. And orchestra - you hear it from there, where it should be...

But I have no idea, why Audition decoded it in that strange way...! And what do you think..?

NO WAY can it be matrix H as the album was recorded in 1974 and the BBC were still devoloping Matrix H. Broadcasts came well before the one matrix H album released. Also, EMI were 100% SQ, which is incompatible with Matrix H or any of the family (H,HJ,45J,Ambisonics)

OD

Well, I think it couldn't have been Matrix H. If the CD was encoded - it was encoded in SQ.
I think it might be my fault - now I'm working with Audition 2.0 and everything goes well. I'll write a separate thread about it.

Back