Intervention Records Stereo SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming soon from Intervention Records/remastered by Kevin Gray @ CoHEARant Audio from the 32 Track PCM Masters on hybrid SACD in a Super Audio Jewel Case

The album was recorded on a 32 track digital PCM digital multitrack and then mixed down to 16 bit/44.1 kHz PCM - it's this stereo mixdown that Kevin Gray remastered from. I'm sure this will sound good from a remastering standpoint, but unlike digitizing an analog master tape, there's nothing really to be gained from the SACD format on this one given that it's just a CD-quality digital master.

Happy to be proven wrong though, and I love some of the songs on this album (especially You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want),strong Steely Dan vibes on that one) and hopefully IR will tackle some of the other Joe Jackson albums that were mixed to analog tape, especially Night and Day.

I don't think I have any SACDs from Intervention. How good are their titles? They're releasing Joe Jackson's Body and Soul soon, which is one of my favorites.

Shane cares a lot about the sound and the music so you're in good hands with him and his label. It's a labour of love to him.

I like this one a lot and I used to own the first US album pressing years ago. Late Again sounds simply magical.

https://www.discogs.com/Stealers-Wheel-Stealers-Wheel/release/8923042
R-8923042-1500818080-6545.jpeg.jpg

I don't think I have any SACDs from Intervention. How good are their titles? They're releasing Joe Jackson's Body and Soul soon, which is one of my favorites.

Me too. There was some discussion about this title recently on another thread. (I don't want to stir up the dust again, but the disagreement never really got resolved, as people seemed to be talking at cross-purposes.)

Sure is well done, but dreaming and wishful thinking IR would do some multichannel along the lines of what Dutton is doing.

I get what you're saying but Vocalion is a well established company whereas Intervention is still in its infancy and may not be yet able to take such risks.

I get what you're saying but Vocalion is a well established company whereas Intervention is still in its infancy and may not be yet able to take such risks.
I’m paraphrasing, but Intervention has stated it has no interest in multichannel because 1) the owner literally has no interest in multichannel 2) their vinyl sales far outpace SACD (they had dropped SACD altogether but circumstances appear to be resurrecting some titles) and 3) the multichannel market as a subset of the already small SACD market is really small.

So I wouldn’t say Intervention is not yet able to take the risks, but rather it has no interest in Mch and, in their musical niche, don’t think it meets their ROI even if they did have interest.

Last edited:
I’m paraphrasing, but Intervention has stated it has no interest in multichannel because 1) the owner literally has no interest in multichannel 2) vinyl sales far outpace SACD (they had dropped SACD altogether but circumstances appear to be resurrecting some titles) and 3) the multichannel market as a subset of the already small SACD market is really small.
Wow. 1st post @marcb ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

Super excited that Starfish from The Church is going to ship next week on SACD, this was original slated for 2019 release on vinyl only but fell through when flooding happened and Shane decided (if memory serves correctly) to pack it in for the foreseeable future. A few lucky peeps got the test pressings for Starfish, cut from the original analogue master by RKS at Sterling at 45rpm.

I didn't know it had come around again and just found out last week, so psyched to see it's hitting SACD also and that's the format coming first while the pressing plants catch up.

• Mastered Direct-to-DSD FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MASTER TAPES!
  • Artist-Approved Expanded Edition!
  • 8 Bonus Tracks Not Included On Original Release!
https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/starfish-expanded-edition-cd-sacd/

Super excited that Starfish from The Church is going to ship next week on SACD, this was original slated for 2019 release on vinyl only but fell through when flooding happened and Shane decided (if memory serves correctly) to pack it in for the foreseeable future. A few lucky peeps got the test pressings for Starfish, cut from the original analogue master by RKS at Sterling at 45rpm.

I didn't know it had come around again and just found out last week, so psyched to see it's hitting SACD also and that's the format coming first while the pressing plants catch up.

• Mastered Direct-to-DSD FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MASTER TAPES!
  • Artist-Approved Expanded Edition!
  • 8 Bonus Tracks Not Included On Original Release!
https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/starfish-expanded-edition-cd-sacd/
I've never even heard of them......guess I need to check them out.

I’m paraphrasing, but Intervention has stated it has no interest in multichannel because 1) the owner literally has no interest in multichannel 2) their vinyl sales far outpace SACD (they had dropped SACD altogether but circumstances appear to be resurrecting some titles) and 3) the multichannel market as a subset of the already small SACD market is really small.

So I wouldn’t say Intervention is not yet able to take the risks, but rather it has no interest in Mch and, in their musical niche, don’t think it meets their ROI even if they did have interest.

NEVER say NEVER: Independent labels who previously had NO interest in multichannel have now released Multi~Channel SACDs: Impex Records, PS Audio and now EVOSOUND Hong Kong [Mr. Big and Bob James].

BTW, also from Intervention Records, Matthew Sweet's SON OF ALTERED BEAST Stereo SACD is now available as a pre~order:

https://www.importcds.com/son-of-altered/707129301482
Son Of Altered

NEVER say NEVER: Independent labels who previously had NO interest in multichannel have now released Multi~Channel SACDs: Impex Records, PS Audio and now EVOSOUND Hong Kong [Mr. Big and Bob James].

If enough folks asked for it I'm sure Intervention might reconsider their stance. I would be a customer of Intervention if they did multi-channel.

If enough folks asked for it I'm sure Intervention might reconsider their stance. I would be a customer of Intervention if they did multi-channel.

The only impediment, Eric, are the steep licensing fees from the majors in the U.S. I believe the labels do charge extra for the multichannel layer in addition to the stereo layer. And Intervention so far has only been releasing SACDs from A&M Records [now owned by UMG] and supposedly, most of their multitracks perished in the Universal Fire. Would be nice to have some Cat Stevens [now Yusuf Islam] in multichannel but I fear those masters, too, no longer exist!

They have an interesting catalog. I don't see Get Sharp on SACD, which is unfortunate, although I'm not sure it would sound miraculously better than usual or anything.

I have Starfish and it sounds nice, but that was always a record that sounded fantastic to me.

Back