Invite the neighbors!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomaster

OK, here is the scenario. You have your big screen theater with Atmos that you want to show off/share with a few neighbors for an evening. You have the snacks and popcorn ready, the seats dusted etc. You want the show to be suitable for all ages. And of course you want the material to be 4K and Atmos!
Maybe a concert video or a musical theater show recording?

So give me some ideas for DVD titles that you would want to show. That would have broad interest and good surround audio/4k video.

Real popcorn or that microwave stuff?
Well lets see;
We could do air popped, season to taste w salt or mozarrella
I could do bagged chedder or chocolate flavored,
Or we could go for buckets drenched in melted butter and salt (Otherwise known as "Roger Ebert's tub of death"
I have a wide variety of neighbors!

Here are my picks:

5.1 Audio:
Beck: The Golden Age on the Sea Change BD: Great surround mix and huge bass.
The Allman Brothers Band: Revival on the Idlewild South BD: Super discrete surround mix.

BD:
Gravity and Roma: Two of the most discrete surround mixes I've heard.

4K:
Godzilla (2013) and Annihilation: Two great surround mixes with some room-rattling lows.

My neighbour doesn't need to come over though. He asked me once while I was out in the garden, "Do you have a surround sound system?" and I thought, "Dang, here we go" so I said "Yeah". He's on the staff at the nearest golf course which is about 1km away, heard some thumping one night and thought that they'd started work with some heavy machinery so jumped in his car and went to check it out only to find the place empty. When he returned, he heard the racket coming from my lounge!

I now shut 6 doors between my lounge and his and haven't had any comments since so hopefully have kept the bass in. I've done a few tests outside too and all seems pretty well contained. I think I was watching Doctor Sleep that night and it has some massive low heartbeat sound effects which was probably the culprit. All this from my SVS Ultra Tower fronts which have dual 8" woofers down to 28Hz and one SVS PB-3000 13" sub that goes down to 16Hz. I was thinking of getting a second identical sub but that's probably out of the question now. Gotta keep the peace!

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you need Blu-ray to get 4K?
Huh? Pupster, you are/were my hero, but are you telling me you've never watched a 4k stream via Netflix, Disney +, Prime, etc? Gobs of 4k streams out there. Mandalorian and Marvelous Mrs Maisel are 4K must-sees.

Gang, this is the weirdest thread! The OP asks for family-friendly 4k and ATMOS, and so far he gets push back on popcorn, zero specific Atmos recommendations (if the movie recs are Atmos it is accidental) and 5.1 audio with NO ATMOS content. C'mon you guys, you are supposed to be the best...you re my only hope as I set up my ATMOS system. 🙏

P.S. If Sea Change were ATMOS I would be all over it (multiple SACD, DVD-A copies already).

EDIT: OK, if all these responses are because he said the bad word "DVD" then I apologize...yes, you can't get ATMOS or 4K from DVD. I'm gonna assume he lumped all discs into that category, but maybe I'm being to "glass half full"

EDIT: OK, if all these responses are because he said the bad word "DVD" then I apologize...yes, you can't get ATMOS or 4K from DVD. I'm gonna assume he lumped all discs into that category, but maybe I'm being to "glass half full"
Yep, he said DVD, I have no clue as to what his setup is and if specifics matter to him; so I took him at face value. Also, no crime for conversations here to ebb and flow within the context of the OP 🍿

I see the OP did take advantage of my suggestion to peruse this other thread for some ideas-
Movies you've seen over 5 times and will watch again

This is more a question for somebody like @4-earredwonder I suppose.

Have fun out there!

I would tell them to come round on the 25th, 26th and 27th November to watch the Beatles Get Back Premiere. They can bloody well bring their own snacks though

So audiomaster, we are confused as to why you invested in an ATMOS setup but only DVD as a source. Maybe you can clear this up. Thx

I m reminded of the battle of the speeds (33 vs 45) of the 1950s. Is it back?

I guess your equipment has the capability to upmix to Atmos from 5.1 and get some more immersion. So that opens a small door or window for Across the Universe, the Beatles-themed movie.

Of these great Atmos movies, how many demand a disc (i.e is Gravity's Atmos still only via Diamond Luxe BD)? Also, has anyone compared their favorite Atmos movies streamed vs BD and found a worthwhile reason to rent/buy the BD (extras not withstanding)? Thanks

Back