INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Charles (I like your name!)

Dunno about cheapo box as it cost us $50K to produce the die..................but hell I actually agree. We are still trying to get the HDMI thing going- nearly there. Meanwhile for those who insist on using this horroble format may I suggest that you get on ebay/ allibaba and by a cheapo RCA/ HDMIconversion unit.

Regards

Chucky

Hello Chucky,

I´ve been using the Surround Master for more than a year and am very happy with the sonic results. What disturbed me though was the cheapo plastic case and problems hooking up the decoder with the rest of my gear due to the lack of an HDMI output. If you manage to pack all your tech into a metal case with universal outputs - I´m on board!
Keep up the high spirits.
Cheers
Charles

Hi DuncanS

At the moment we are doing the final production design revisions to the Y4 surround system- attempting to reduce costs and perfect the wireless system.

Once we have finished that we intend to do the following and hopefully in this order:

1 Do the SQ update to make it more tollerant of poor recordings
2 Update the final production design of the studio encoder/ decoder - again to get cost out
3 We are running low on the plastic cases for the Surround Master, we are designing a metal cased version- I hope to show a render in a few days
4 Assist in the production of the first Involve recordings- in Nashville- more on this soon.
5 Start the design of the Involve surround pre amplifier with MM and MC inputs. Looks like it will have TSS, INVOLVE/ QS and SQ. Its going to be mid next year- sorry.
6 Finalize the design of a hybrid (dragon based- see Nakamichi electrostatic- we did it) studio monitor speaker.

Oh forgot to mention I have tracked down the last Nakamichi Dragon electrostatic speaker- going to a good home or best offer, I have not told anyone else yet.
see http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/ind...e-and-fortune-nakamichi-dragon-electrostatic/

Other than that all is quiet......too quiet.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

I'm happy to wait, the money is being set aside and ear-marked for the new unit! Plus it gives me more time to acquire some more SQ & QS vinyl. :banana:

Here is a 'horrible' question for you though, will we be able to do remote software updates to the new Surround Master? :yikes

Cheers

Duncan

Hi DuncanS

And here is the horrible answer.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far the original SM has not needed any software updates since Rustyandi advised of one early problem......Thanks Rustyandi. We have not found any other issues. The SQ version is under investigation but it really does need special memory reprograming hardware/ Software. To make it user reprogramable would add significantly to the cost of the unit.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

As one of the buyers on the indiego program for the SQ edition of the surround master could you give an estimate of when the SQ edition will be reprogrammed and shipped? I'm not pushing, if say two months are needed I would just like to be advised, since the website mentioned a December delivery.
In a future edition could you include a parameter adjustment dial at least for the SQ portion to adjust for differing sq encoding situations?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi DuncanS

And here is the horrible answer.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far the original SM has not needed any software updates since Rustyandi advised of one early problem......Thanks Rustyandi. We have not found any other issues. The SQ version is under investigation but it really does need special memory reprograming hardware/ Software. To make it user reprogramable would add significantly to the cost of the unit.

Regards

Chucky

Well thats one less Ethernet connection I'll need! :)

Hi Jeff

Hate to say it the SQ units will be sent to you when you send us your phone number (required for USA shipping), they are ready.

The idea of parameter adjustability is not achievable on the existing circuitry.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

As one of the buyers on the indiego program for the SQ edition of the surround master could you give an estimate of when the SQ edition will be reprogrammed and shipped? I'm not pushing, if say two months are needed I would just like to be advised, since the website mentioned a December delivery.
In a future edition could you include a parameter adjustment dial at least for the SQ portion to adjust for differing sq encoding situations?

Thanks

Jeff

3 We are running low on the plastic cases for the Surround Master, we are designing a metal cased version- I hope to show a render in a few days

Chucky

This metal case SM could be very nice (if we have to wait a bit more for the preamp version).

Could you tell us if the PSU will be also external, and 9V like the current version ?

I'm waiting also for the first pics...I have to say I put my "plastic" SM in a greater metal case, as all my hifi equipment is in silver brushed aluminium :D

Hi Chucky

I did receive mine just a few days ago, thank you very much. Have not had the time to play with it but looking forward to it. If you ever make a metal replacement case available count me in as interested. Plastic eventually cracks, although there are all those ancient transistor radios that have withstood the test of time... :)

Hi Gang

Yep the metal case pro and standard SM will use an externat "wall wart" power supply. As I think I mentioned previously (somewhere) the original target market for the SM was the consumer accessory market as a quick and painless upgrade to surround. Unfortunately this idea has not worked yet, somehow I think the plastic box was more suitable for a $199 product not a $395 product. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Our Chris will publish some metal box ideas we are working on - we would love to hear your opinions. I have not see a design I like yet.

Regards

Chucky

G'day QQ!

This is my first post (apart from the new people thread) so I'd like to say G'day to everyone.
I'm Chris, I started working with Involve at the start of the year and have been having a blast!

Here's a concept I've come up with for a metal Surround Master, it's pretty much the exact same size, but uses a metal box and latching push-button switches for power and TSS/Involve.
It's only the first early concept so we'd love to hear what you guys think. I made sure one of them was silver brushed aluminium (in the stack image) :)

I'm also working on other concepts.

SM 1.724.jpg

SM 1.715.jpg

Do you have to switch the unit of to change from
TSS to Involve
Also what are the plugs in the back?
And is switch of a bypass mode?

For me it's very nice, if the price is not much higher.
Make sure also the plugs at the back are more spaced than "regular" SM.

Hi Rustyandi and Yucca

We are looking at making the transition between modes immediate and not having to go through on/ off. The rear panel is still an issue if we are to retain the same size (we have lots of cardboard packaging designed to fit!)

Regards

Chucky

Hi Rustyandi and Yucca

We are looking at making the transition between modes immediate and not having to go through on/ off. The rear panel is still an issue if we are to retain the same size (we have lots of cardboard packaging designed to fit!)

Regards

Chucky

That would be a very desirable enhancement to the SM. The prototype metal cases look good to me!

A four channel input with bypass would be a very useful feature. My amp only has a single multi channel input, and I use it for my Oppo Blu Ray player since my amp doesn't do HDMI audio. So I could only in incoporate a Surround Master if it had a multi channel bypass so that I could run my Oppo through it.

A four channel input with bypass would be a very useful feature. My amp only has a single multi channel input, and I use it for my Oppo Blu Ray player since my amp doesn't do HDMI audio. So I could only in incoporate a Surround Master if it had a multi channel bypass so that I could run my Oppo through it.

That would be a nice feature although I'd vote for a 5.1 bypass vs. a 4 channel bypass. I'd also vote for a second set of outputs or what they used to call a Tape Monitor output you could use with a Quad or a 5.1 Scope. If they added these features, I'd have to look at buying the new Surround Master unit (Surround Master II ?)

That would be a nice feature although I'd vote for a 5.1 bypass vs. a 4 channel bypass. I'd also vote for a second set of outputs or what they used to call a Tape Monitor output you could use with a Quad or a 5.1 Scope. If they added these features, I'd have to look at buying the new Surround Master unit (Surround Master II ?)

5.1 bypass would be even nicer, but 4.0 bypass is my bare minimum. I would only use 4.0 out of the Suurround Master so the Centre and LFE from my Oppo Blu Ray could go direct to my amp if they had to. I'm trying to bear in mind the panel space and costs of the Surround Master, and that when used in SQ and QS modes it only really generates 4.0 output anyway.

Back