INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
Speaking of new technology, when is Involve Audio coming out with the SMv2 (or is it now v3) coronavirus face mask? I have New York Yankee face masks on order which I'm sure will induce some finger pointing and "FU" remarks. But an SMv2 mask will result in an equal amount of dumbfounded stares.
It would have to come with 4 bright blue lights and knobs galore!

Hey Jaybird100
Since I've been hanging around the house and listening a lot, I decided to re-visit your suggested hookup AND LEAVE IT THIS TIME. As I tend to be a tinkerer, sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone. I'll have to say that after several days of becoming acclimated to the new sound I'll probably be leaving it this way. I have discovered though, that in SQ mode, the front channels have a soft static sound that fortunately is masked by the music and doesn't get louder with increased volume. After multiple transistor failures, all semiconductors except the unobtanium decoder chips and the shitload of diodes (55) this unit has have been replaced, I may shotgun the diodes too. Sounds good, though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Glad to help. The SQ-W is said to be a very good unit, but I don't think it provides any logic in the "composer" setting. I'm completely blown away with my SM v.2(b), and would urge you to make the investment, if you haven't already. (Damn... I sound like a commercial!)

Last edited:
Glad to help. I haven't noticed that "soft static sound" in SQ. Even played at low levels, the SQ sounds perfectly clear. I'm truly blown away by this little black box. I couldn't be happier with it, and when playing discs I burned using the encoder (from SACD's and DVD-A discs), I find it hard to tell it's matrixed.
Is that the Involve encoder - decoder?

Glad to help. The SQ-W is said to be a very good unit, but I don't think it provides any logic in the "composer" setting. I'm completely blown away with my SM v.2(b), and would urge you to make the investment, if you haven't already. (Damn... I sound like a commercial!)

Yeah, I'm aware logic applies only to the SQ mode though the composer does a damn fine job of stereo to quad.
I'm planning to pull the trigger on a SM in the very near future.

As much as I want SM I will never be able to use it. I don’t have multichannel analog inputs. The options for systems with those inputs are soon to be zero if not already. Please add HDMI or have a software plugin for Mac & Windows systems.
And on the other hand, there are those of us with very expensive legacy equipment devoid of HDMI inputs. I suspect that a SM2 with both HDMI inputs/outputs and analog inputs/outputs would add incredible costs.

And on the other hand, there are those of us with very expensive legacy equipment devoid of HDMI inputs. I suspect that a SM2 with both HDMI inputs/outputs and analog inputs/outputs would add incredible costs.
The SM2 is an analog device. Adding HDMI in/out would require adding D to A, and A to D circuitry, and those additions would drive the cost to ridiculous levels. Considering the purpose of the unit, would it really be worth the extra expense?

I believe the HDMI licensing cost is around $20,000 a year IINM, tack on the additional engineering and manufacture costs to implement into the SM, some minuscule profit margin for the company, and then divide that by the number of units; and pass that cost along to us end users...
And that doesn't even take into account that the folks at Involve generally loath HDMI, and Bob's not gonna be your uncle!

As usual J Pupster is the closest to the truth. We in fact did use HDMI with our first generation Y4 system (3 inputs one output) and there was some hardware cost but its the unreliability , dodgy compatibility and $20,000 license fee (per year) that piss me off. We are not a pure analogue system, 90% of the processing is digital, only the 5 stage Hilbert filters and buffering is analogue.

Solution is to go to ebay and buy one of the many HDMI to stereo converters for less than $30. We are including one of these puppies in the new Y4 package.

As usual J Pupster is the closest to the truth. We in fact did use HDMI with our first generation Y4 system (3 inputs one output) and there was some hardware cost but its the unreliability , dodgy compatibility and $20,000 license fee (per year) that piss me off. We are not a pure analogue system, 90% of the processing is digital, only the 5 stage Hilbert filters and buffering is analogue.

Solution is to go to ebay and buy one of the many HDMI to stereo converters for less than $30. We are including one of these puppies in the new Y4 package.
The well known HDMI to analog stereo gets the signal into the SM but as BJMarsh said:
As much as I want SM I will never be able to use it. I don’t have multichannel analog inputs.

So if the SM does not have HDMI output he still can not use it. I've looked high & low I can not find any 5.1 analog to HDMI that keeps it 5.1. I have found some convertors that take 5.1 analog in & output stereo HDMI.

This is the same problem GOS has. IIRC he has a receiver that can output analog stereo but only HDMI inputs.
It's a mess.

Edit: the new Y4 system (did I get the name right?) does not have an HDMI output problem as the power amps & processing is all internal. No AV receiver needed!

Last edited:
As much as I want SM I will never be able to use it. I don’t have multichannel analog inputs. The options for systems with those inputs are soon to be zero if not already. Please add HDMI or have a software plugin for Mac & Windows systems.

You may want to consider finding an Onkyo TX-NR709. I bought one on eBay for around $150 in a bid. I see some right now for around $200. There are others in the TX series you might want to consider too.

The well known HDMI to analog stereo gets the signal into the SM but as BJMarsh said:

So if the SM does not have HDMI output he still can not use it. I've looked high & low I can not find any 5.1 analog to HDMI that keeps it 5.1. I have found some convertors that take 5.1 analog in & output stereo HDMI.

This is the same problem GOS has. IIRC he has a receiver that can output analog stereo but only HDMI inputs.
It's a mess.

Edit: the new Y4 system (did I get the name right?) does not have an HDMI output problem as the power amps & processing is all internal. No AV receiver needed!
Yeah Ooops, I stand corrected (missed the output thingy). Agreed but I just hate the new "receivers" without good ol RCA. Solution is get a real amplifier or as I have at home active speakers (Naka dragon). Hey I use my Rotel 2020 just to power my Stax electrostatic headphones!

Back