INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the home move, customer buying my joint got weak knees and I thing I might do a renovation and then flog it. But if you are traveling next year please visit the new joint- you are invited if you just row across the drink!

Last edited:
Just thought I would pass on my excuses I wrote this morning to our leader in the USA Kevin (Just a fun guy). He desperately wants the first sample batch for USA distribution:

Dearest yankee god

Excuses list:

1: We are in the middle of a Corona lockdown in Melbourne and only selected "essential" industries get to go to work. We fortunately (through some black magic by me) are one but I have 70% of the troops working from home. BUT production is flowing, I have 20 just about ready for packing - fixing the last 2
2 Big Dave the Bitch has just had his back operation and is semi functioning in 15 minute software bursts from home. He is changing the menu structure so a normal human being can figure it out - not just a software weenie/ geek.

3 Dawson decided we needed white labeled sexy Apple style cardboard boxes to finish the product and we are awaiting delivery of said boxes (I think 2 more weeks- not my call sorry).

4 A bunch of last minute checks/ double checks and minor quality "finish" improvements by Chris.

5 Incompetence

I still need your details of how we do the $$$$ this time......................

I have attached a photo of the amplifiers with their hoods up, ready for packing and a look at the new better quality/ looking speaker. Just as a note each unit has over 2000 components, 6000 lines of software, around 150 IC's and the circuit diagram is over 75 pages!

Love in a lepper colony

Chuck a rooney
Chucky Rooney, ya sound a wee bit bored to me, go build something for us with a joystick 🕹 on it 😌

I have a question about using the Surround Master: is it a preamp as well, or just a decoder?

ie: will I just need 2x stereo power amps, or do I need 2x stereo preamps plus power amps?

thx!

Just a decoder. You need a 5 channel preamp & a 5 channel amp If you intend to use the center channel out.

Last edited:
Just a decoder. You need a 5 channel preamp & a 5 channel amp If you intend to use the center channel out.
Hi BigAlt
It's sorta of a pre Amp! If you add a source switch so you select the stereo input and assuming you have or don't use a phono preamp then yes it's a very good pre Amp and you do not need a separate preamp. I do this at home as my speakers are active with internal power amps.

Hi BigAlt
It's sorta of a pre Amp! If you add a source switch so you select the stereo input and assuming you have or don't use a phono preamp then yes it's a very good pre Amp and you do not need a separate preamp. I do this at home as my speakers are active with internal power amps.
Sorry, reply should have been to ummagmma

I have a question about using the Surround Master: is it a preamp as well, or just a decoder?

ie: will I just need 2x stereo power amps, or do I need 2x stereo preamps plus power amps?

thx!
See my contradictory reply! In addition it does have a center channel output.

Hi BigAlt

Hey Chucky: In your home set-up that you have described, do you use the SM's "level" control as a master output vol control?

Hey Chucky: In your home set-up that you have described, do you use the SM's "level" control as a master vol control?
I actually use a combination of the input and the output levels. The reason is I like to keep the input level as high as possible to use the full resolution of the A/ D and then set the overall levels with the output knobs. I use the input as a fine adjust when I am lazy (most of the time)

I actually use a combination of the input and the output levels. The reason is I like to keep the input level as high as possible to use the full resolution of the A/ D and then set the overall levels with the output knobs. I use the input as a fine adjust when I am lazy (most of the time)

Yep - that's pretty much what I do. How do you set your SM's output levels vs. your powered speakers' vol controls?

Yep - that's pretty much what I do. How do you set your SM's output levels vs. your powered speakers' vol controls?
Similar story, I try to keep the knobs on my speakers at the higher end of the scale, whilst keeping the SM inputs as high as possible. Practically in my case it means the speaker levels are at 1 o clock

Chucky,
I have two SM V1s one with SQ & the other without. I didn’t realize that with the adjustable outputs that the SM V2 had a built in Preamp.

Chucky,
I have two SM V1s one with SQ & the other without. I didn’t realize that with the adjustable outputs that the SM V2 had a built in Preamp.
Yep its fully buffered with a 10 k Ohm input impedance and around 0.3 ohms output impedance and variable gain.....that's what a preamp does! Only need an input selector.

Last edited:
ah, interesting, thanks for the replies!

trying to figure out the best way to fit one in. easiest for me would be a pair of stereo amps I already own, for 4 channel, and maybe use a subwoofer if I need it. I don't have any modern multichannel gear

if I wanted to use the phono/tape/tuner inputs of BOTH stereo amps, along with the SM to decode my quad records, is that possible?

*edit* both amps have preamp out/power amp ins

Last edited:
I guess the simplest setup would just be:

turntable source to preamp 1--> SM --> 4 outputs to stereo power amps

I would need a source switch, to choose between the preamps, and then feed that to the SM, if I wanted to keep access to both preamp sources? ( I have 4 turntables )

I guess the simplest setup would just be:

turntable source to preamp 1--> SM --> 4 outputs to stereo power amps

I would need a source switch, to choose between the preamps, and then feed that to the SM, if I wanted to keep access to both preamp sources? ( I have 4 turntables )
Hi again
Simplest is to use your best Amp for the fronts, connect the pre out to the SM input, connect the SM front L/R to the main Amp pre in. Connect the SM rear L/R to the spare Amp pre in and use that one for the rear speakers. Perfection!!!!

thanks!

tempting to sell all this crap & just use powered monitors w/a media server

but I like the sound of it

I would probably want XLR if I did that though

Back