INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use one preamp and two or three power amps, depending on whether or not you want to use a center channel. Or you could use a 5 channel power amp. The SM is strictly a decoder. It has no input switching capability.
That's why one of the amps need to be the master for the source switching

yes, thanks for the details everybody

assessing my hardware and mulling over my options. dumb question that I could probably find by searching: will the new V2 decode SQ, QS, and CD4 sources?

yes, thanks for the details everybody

assessing my hardware and mulling over my options. dumb question that I could probably find by searching: will the new V2 decode SQ, QS, and CD4 sources?
It will decode SQ/QS not CD-4. And it's quite good on stereo to surround. So good that sometimes with Netflix or movies I let the player output 2 ch stereo to the SM even if it's in 5.1.

great thanks!

another Q: if I have discrete 4 channel sources, say from a media server, how would I hook them up to it?

it appears to have a 2ch input. so I would probably use a mixer etc instead, and feed that to the 2x stereo preamps

great thanks!

another Q: if I have discrete 4 channel sources, say from a media server, how would I hook them up to it?

it appears to have a 2ch input. so I would probably use a mixer etc instead, and feed that to the 2x stereo preamps
A: You don't. The SM only has a single 2ch input & 6 individual outputs. You would need a switch box between the SM & your AVR and also plug your other 4 ch source to that.

If you can find a Zektor HDS4.1 Switch ( discontinued ) that would be perfect. I was lucky enough to find one on eBay several years ago and am using it to switch between my SM V1 SQ & non SQ decoders, my Shure HTS-5300 decoder and my Proton SD-1000 decoder.

Last edited:
great thanks!

I will be a bit cheeky on this answer!
We actually ENCODE the 5 channel back into 2 channel INVOLVE STEREO format and shove that back into the SM. We state that we actually get more detail than the original 5 channel. see our internal test report. Oh the encoder is cheap.....$100

Attachments

• Involve evaluation module press release_V1.4(1).pdf
    725.5 KB · Views: 143
  • involve_discrete.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Involve vs Discreet Report-converted.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 283
I will be a bit cheeky on this answer!
We actually ENCODE the 5 channel back into 2 channel INVOLVE STEREO format and shove that back into the SM. We state that we actually get more detail than the original 5 channel. see our internal test report. Oh the encoder is cheap.....$100
I'll vouch for this; I've done it myself! The SMv2, along with the Evaluation encoder can amaze you.

It won’t decode CD-4. Chucky had plans for a separate CD-4 decoder ( there’s a separate thread regarding it ) but it looks like that may have been put on the back burner or shelved.
I'd kill for a modern CD-4 decoder. But I can see why no one is putting it out. I mean, a matrix decoder can be used on stereo sources for some nice effects. But a CD-4 decoder? If you don't have albums, what good is it? 😢

ah thx for the links Chucky, will read!!

gvl_guy: since CD4 is discreet 4ch, I suppose you could use the same process Chucky posted above, to my inquiry?

you would have to rip the CD4 first though. which needs a decoder. hmm catch 22 there.

how about getting Dave the Bitch to include CD4 support in the encoder?

ah thx for the links Chucky, will read!!

gvl_guy: since CD4 is discreet 4ch, I suppose you could use the same process Chucky posted above, to my inquiry?

you would have to rip the CD4 first though. which needs a decoder. hmm catch 22 there.

how about getting Dave the Bitch to include CD4 support in the encoder?
Too hard, we have not started the CD4 decoder yet and I am assured by many that its a steep mountain to climb!

CD-4 opens up another whole can of worms. No CD-4 records have been produced in years, and it's doubtful there would be a demand for any new ones. Since no manufacturers are making cartridges that specifically support CD-4, and it's hit or miss on current models, that would be a problem. How many turntables today use the required low-capacitance wiring? If Involve did make a CD-4 demodulator, how many of us would actually be willing to commit? Matrix is a whole other thing. More record companies supported matrixed quad than they did discrete. Since we already have the Surround Master, which supports the majority of quad records out there, as well as enhancing stereo, do we really need an Involve CD-4 demodulator? Discuss.

another potentially daft Q: is there a PDF user manual for the SM2 somewhere, that explains exactly what all the input modes do?

I had a look on the Involve site and didn't see in depth tech specs. thanks!

*edit* for example: I am wondering what settings for playing QS records back via the SM2

Last edited:
another potentially daft Q: is there a PDF user manual for the SM2 somewhere, that explains exactly what all the input modes do?

I had a look on the Involve site and didn't see in depth tech specs. thanks!

*edit* for example: I am wondering what settings for playing QS records back via the SM2
Just set it to standard INVOLVE mode

Dear Surround nutters

Its getting real close and yes it has been a bit of a distraction from the "super surround pre amp" that is still being designed. But we are now a few months away from production of our new 6 channel power amp in a mini "SM ' case......lego surround system!

Features:
6 x 120 W channels
Distortion as low as 0.005%
Soft clipping and clip light (very valve like!)
Handles down to 2 Ohms
S/N 100db
Two configurable channels either as flat or with our woofer characteristic plus low pass
Class D operation - sounds fantastic- bias alert!!!

Cheap- around the same price as the Blue eyed monster!!

Next, matching desktop wide dispersion matching electrostatic speakers (will be low cost!)
Then a mini pre amp, mini Riaa and the Mix Master (6 channel)!

AMP-RENDER-1.25_2000px.jpg
AMP-RENDER-1.26_2000px.jpg
AMP-RENDER-1.28_2000px.jpg

Dear Surround nutters

Its getting real close and yes it has been a bit of a distraction from the "super surround pre amp" that is still being designed. But we are now a few months away from production of our new 6 channel power amp in a mini "SM ' case......lego surround system!

Features:
6 x 120 W channels
Distortion as low as 0.005%
Soft clipping and clip light (very valve like!)
Handles down to 2 Ohms
S/N 100db
Two configurable channels either as flat or with our woofer characteristic plus low pass
Class D operation - sounds fantastic- bias alert!!!

Cheap- around the same price as the Blue eyed monster!!

Next, matching desktop wide dispersion matching electrostatic speakers (will be low cost!)
Then a mini pre amp, mini Riaa and the Mix Master (6 channel)!

View attachment 66602View attachment 66603View attachment 66604
Is that a high of 120 Watts contniuous power all chennels driven? If distortion is as low as .005%, what is the high of THD or IMD at full rated output?

Its a bit shit at 10% but soft clip.....you really do not hear it. below 100 W its back to 0.1%.

Caught me being dodgy!

Having said that I have found in listening tests that when you can actually see distortion on a CRO - you can hear it. Its a human thing. Yes I know all the audio bullshit that flogs the golden amplifiers. Low drive impedance is highly important - specially for electrostatics and this romps.

Back