INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another potentially daft Q: is there a PDF user manual for the SM2 somewhere, that explains exactly what all the input modes do?

I had a look on the Involve site and didn't see in depth tech specs. thanks!

*edit* for example: I am wondering what settings for playing QS records back via the SM2
Simple rule of thumb; use the " Involve" mode for anything that isn't SQ.

Dear Surround nutters

Its getting real close and yes it has been a bit of a distraction from the "super surround pre amp" that is still being designed. But we are now a few months away from production of our new 6 channel power amp in a mini "SM ' case......lego surround system!

Features:
6 x 120 W channels
Distortion as low as 0.005%
Soft clipping and clip light (very valve like!)
Handles down to 2 Ohms
S/N 100db
Two configurable channels either as flat or with our woofer characteristic plus low pass
Class D operation - sounds fantastic- bias alert!!!

Cheap- around the same price as the Blue eyed monster!!

Next, matching desktop wide dispersion matching electrostatic speakers (will be low cost!)
Then a mini pre amp, mini Riaa and the Mix Master (6 channel)!

View attachment 66602View attachment 66603View attachment 66604

You said it will handle impedances down to 2 ohms, but the marking on the case says 1.5 ohms. Regardless, I'm extremely happy to see a product that will handle loads down to 2 ohms. My amp will handle 2 ohm speaker loads. (All of the AVR's that I've looked at specify a minimum impedance of 6 ohms, which means that they are suspect when it comes to handling complex speaker loads.)

Any specific recommendations on 300 W + power supplies?

Dear Surround nutters

Its getting real close and yes it has been a bit of a distraction from the "super surround pre amp" that is still being designed. But we are now a few months away from production of our new 6 channel power amp in a mini "SM ' case......lego surround system!

Features:
6 x 120 W channels
Distortion as low as 0.005%
Soft clipping and clip light (very valve like!)
Handles down to 2 Ohms
S/N 100db
Two configurable channels either as flat or with our woofer characteristic plus low pass
Class D operation - sounds fantastic- bias alert!!!

Cheap- around the same price as the Blue eyed monster!!

Next, matching desktop wide dispersion matching electrostatic speakers (will be low cost!)
Then a mini pre amp, mini Riaa and the Mix Master (6 channel)!

View attachment 66602View attachment 66603View attachment 66604
This little amp looks really sweet! I think it's going to be a big seller.

You said it will handle impedances down to 2 ohms, but the marking on the case says 1.5 ohms. Regardless, I'm extremely happy to see a product that will handle loads down to 2 ohms. My amp will handle 2 ohm speaker loads. (All of the AVR's that I've looked at specify a minimum impedance of 6 ohms, which means that they are suspect when it comes to handling complex speaker loads.)

It's supplied with the Amp.

I think I will keep my set of 3, Adcom 555 stereo amps rather than move to Involve's new one. But I also think this could be a hot seller to compliment the typical AVR. I have a big concern the way most AVR's power ratings are done. Advertised at something like 1200 Watts total power. Then look close & the front L/R chs are only 120 watts (or less) driven in only the 2 ch mode. Then the remaining chs might be 75 watts. Odd combinations of Class A/B and D. And nothing meaningful in specs to show distortion or continuous power when all chs are driven hard. The Involve power amp has the potential to be a big improvement over that, with honest specs.

And if you have a stand alone pre/pro that the SM could plug into it would be great for that as well.

Good catch on the low impedance speaker load power handling. I've also noticed some main stream AVR's rating their power output into 4 ohms, but recommend no lower than 6 ohm nominal impedance for actual use. My Infinity floor stander are well known for having ohms of about 1 at low frequency. Strong current ability & good damping factor is often over looked. The new Involve seems quite reasonable for many uses in that regard.

For Chucky...
In regards to the original post in this thread, whatever became of the sub-woof/decoder/power amp product? I have never seen it on the Involve website over the years. I must say it just seemed like a really odd combo to me.

Back