INVOLVE - Y4 surround sound system reviews

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you can't just use FFmpeg libavcodec or similar open source codecs to do the decode?
That is a sticking point for me as I don't have space in my home for separate systems for Music and Cinema.

Thinking of alternatives, my blu ray will output 6 channel RCA, but my Terrestrial TV recorder will not, not will my streaming devices. Most will output multichannel PCM via HDMI but never in my life have I ever used HDMI as an audio transport, I'm all optical here, HD Audio is not something that interests me as I can only hear upto 15.5Khz. I'm afraid Optical/SPDIF really is the universal compatible standard as far as multichannel is concerned.

Not in a commercial product, no. Not unless we want Dolby's legal team up our arses.

I have never thought of HD audio as only affecting the upper 5kHz of human range.

15.5khz sound requires a sampling rate of 31khz to encode accurately, CD is 44khz which sufficient for people with the very best hearing. HD audio is 96khz, Whats the point of wasting all that bandwidth. Oh wait, marketing. I hate this industry.

Last edited:
15.5khz sound requires a sampling rate of 31khz to encode accurately, CD is 44khz which sufficient for people with the very best hearing. HD audio is 96khz, Whats the point of wasting all that bandwidth. Oh wait, marketing. I hate this industry.
Maybe 24-bit is more important than the higher sampling rate.

BUT... it is likely that the TLC applied to some Hi-Res releases is the critical factor.

BUT... it is likely that the TLC applied to some Hi-Res releases is the critical factor.
Agree with you on both points. Also often overlooked is in regards to distortion digital is the opposite of analog: as the signal level drops in digital the distortion goes up. Check the specs on any AD or DA convertor. That incredibly low THD is at max level of 0dB. At -60 dB I've seen AD/DA specs at .3%. Distortion, like noise, is accumulative thorough out the signal chain. High sample rate & bit rate is another way of cleaning this up.

Without a doubt, HD audio is likely mastered differently and with more care as its aimed at a different market, IMO you don't need to upgrade all your kit to enjoy better mastering.

Agree with you on both points. Also often overlooked is in regards to distortion digital is the opposite of analog: as the signal level drops in digital the distortion goes up. Check the specs on any AD or DA convertor. That incredibly low THD is at max level of 0dB. At -60 dB I've seen AD/DA specs at .3%. Distortion, like noise, is accumulative thorough out the signal chain. High sample rate & bit rate is another way of cleaning this up.
But on the other hand our perception of distortion reduces at low signal levels

A higher sample rate spreads the inherent quantisation noise from digitisation over a wider bandwidth, and also allows for Low Pass Filtering that does not have such a hard roll-off, so I would still have a 20kHz Low Pass cut-off with a 96KHz or above sample rate.

Totally agree a high Bit depth is the key, 24-bits is good enough for me.
But on the other hand our perception of distortion reduces at low signal levels
Yep, our perception is strange especially with distortion, you can hear the distortion difference when you play vinyl after say a BDA, but a few minutes later you're ignoring it. Hard clipping is dire, but you don't always hear the occasional clipped peak. I always think about the old click removers which just chopped out the LP click, you didn't hear the loss.

We hit the Australia wide newspapers today in "The Australian" (another Murdock owned paper). The reporter Daniel Sankey is a very nice guy and as it turned out we had similar poverty stricken backgrounds of single mother etc. Unfortunately he asked me - what inspired me to get into audio, my answer related back to my childhood of being too poor to afford a record player, hence I built my own (including turntable). This lead to more of that past which he dwell ed on and it really dominated the article unfortunately. Also he is confusing our sweet spot technology and Involve decode in some passages. But hey his heart was in the right place and he mostly spelt my name right!

1652964981708.png

He did not mention the orhanage, nunaries, 20 primary schools, mums wedding to a guy for 3 weeks, blokes trying to get their leg over my good looking mum, living with one of the 10 most wanted criminal con men in Australia (nice guy paid well)

We hit the Australia wide newspapers today in "The Australian" (another Murdock owned paper). The reporter Daniel Sankey is a very nice guy and as it turned out we had similar poverty stricken backgrounds of single mother etc. Unfortunately he asked me - what inspired me to get into audio, my answer related back to my childhood of being too poor to afford a record player, hence I built my own (including turntable). This lead to more of that past which he dwell ed on and it really dominated the article unfortunately. Also he is confusing our sweet spot technology and Involve decode in some passages. But hey his heart was in the right place and he mostly spelt my name right!

View attachment 78982

He did not mention the orhanage, nunaries, 20 primary schools, mums wedding to a guy for 3 weeks, blokes trying to get their leg over my good looking mum, living with one of the 10 most wanted criminal con men in Australia (nice guy paid well)
Interesting article, although, and I'm assuming he heard the Y4 demo'd, he said nothing about that. No mention of the Surround Master, either. But hey, it's publicity, and that can't hurt!

Interesting article, although, and I'm assuming he heard the Y4 demo'd, he said nothing about that. No mention of the Surround Master, either. But hey, it's publicity, and that can't hurt!
He had a system at his house for a month and is buying it. He did do a sorta review in the second last paragraph

Back