INXS: Live Baby Live Concert in 4K and Atmos coming!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to remember about all playback formats, Atmos included. It's not because a title is offered in multiple channel configuration that the company behind the release actually commissioned a discrete mix for that configuration.

In the 50's and 60's, record companies were notorious for selling fake Stereo albums. In the 70's, some record companies sold fake (or extremely shy) Quad albums. As 5.1 began to be used for audio in the late 90's / early 2000's, some companies (such as Silverline) did the same thing. I don't think anyone should be surprised that this will also manifest itself with Atmos releases.

I'm not looking for a fight here, I'm just stating what's been going on in the industry since 1957. At the end of the day, we would all like our multichannel content to be discrete and of demo quality but I think we may enjoy these releases more if we dialed down the level of expectation.
Wow, good that you said that. I was listening to David Fricke earlier and he was talking about a Jimmy Reed album called Jimmy Reed Live At Carnegie Hall, which he did play, after the record company put out the album which was a studio recreation of the Carnegie Hall show.
David said the same thing you said, record companys did many tricks to consumers through the years.

It's not because a title is offered in multiple channel configuration that the company behind the release actually commissioned a discrete mix for that configuration.

In the 50's and 60's, record companies were notorious for selling fake Stereo albums. In the 70's, some record companies sold fake (or extremely shy) Quad albums. As 5.1 began to be used for audio in the late 90's / early 2000's, some companies (such as Silverline) did the same thing.
Re dud 5.1 mixes, Blondie Greatest Video Hits comes to mind:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=2841

I’m actually surprised Steven’s 5.1 mixes aren’t more discrete, the quad mixing at the last live show I saw for the latest album was much more discrete than the 5.1 mix on the Albert Hall disc, Pariah is an obvious one, the female vocals at the live show were 100% through the surround channels, so many great quad live moments that didn’t translate to disc.

My fave discrete concert mixes are Pineapple Thief and the NIN Beside You In Time, would love to see a thread compiling some other options with member recommendations as I would gladly fill out my collection.

I wasn’t anticipating anything other than more realism with this Atmos mix, super stoked more than anything else to hear it does actually have HDR, is this the first concert with HDR?

I’m actually surprised Steven’s 5.1 mixes aren’t more discrete, the quad mixing at the last live show I saw for the latest album was much more discrete than the 5.1 mix on the Albert Hall disc, Pariah is an obvious one, the female vocals at the live show were 100% through the surround channels, so many great quad live moments that didn’t translate to disc.

My fave discrete concert mixes are Pineapple Thief and the NIN Beside You In Time, would love to see a thread compiling some other options with member recommendations as I would gladly fill out my collection.

I wasn’t anticipating anything other than more realism with this Atmos mix, super stoked more than anything else to hear it does actually have HDR, is this the first concert with HDR?

It's not mentioned anywhere on the case but my TV recognizes a HDR signal.

z.jpg

The audio review from blu-ray.com:

INXS: Live Baby Live Wembley Stadium features Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 tracks, and for once all three sound great within their own contexts. I'm often on record (no pun intended) complaining that a lot of the concert video surround tracks tend to bury vocals at times as a perhaps intentional trade off to give a good accounting of the live sonics and crowd noises, but in both the Atmos and 5.1 tracks, vocals are mixed forward (where I personally feel they should be), without sacrificing any of the energy or nuance of the instrumental assortments. I frankly didn't hear a ton of difference between the Atmos and 5.1 tracks, but for once I have no qualms recommending either of these tracks in comparison to the fine if obviously narrower stereo track.

I’ve been listening to the blu-ray Atmos mix over the last week and I’m very disappointed.

I decided to do a Penteo Quad upmix of the stereo Fl and FR and mix the quad back into the original 7.1 TrueHD mixand it was the worse sounding surround I’ve ever heard from Penteo. There was a swishing sound I’ve not heard previously in literally hundreds of stereo to quad upmixes I’ve done.

Just listen to any solo surround channel from the original Atmos mix. They all sound weird. Artefacts galore.

I tried upmixing the DTS-HDMA fronts with slightly better results but still little surround activity and the swish. This release must be an upmix already, and not done well either.

After a couple days of mucking around with various channel mixings etc I’ve settled on 5.1 Penteo UM from the stereo stream. Way better that the Atmos, not swish or other artefacts.

This is the worst Atmos I’ve heard yet. Is there something wrong in the mastering or is it just a poor upmix? Thoughts anyone?

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean:

Wow! Apologies for kind of hijacking this thread, but I'm blown away that Big Big Train's "Stone & Steel" made the top ten, and by Mike's words of praise. :LB

That was the first album that I worked with Rob Aubrey on, and it's no exaggeration to say that I "coached" him through the basics of how to get the surround mix that I thought the band and material deserved during that first long, iterative mixing/testing process. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried with emotion when I first heard the version of "Victorian Brickwork" (which was, maybe, the third version he did), where Rob's impressive sound engineering experience and skills fully assimilated my experience of surround and suggestions for part placement, dynamics and treatment to create a moment of surround sound magic. :)

I can think of no better praise than the mix being compared to one of Elliot Scheiner's. Thank You!

But I must add that the up-coming Big Big Train "Hackney Empire" gig mix for the (TBA) Blu Ray is even better, by quite some margin.

This is the worst Atmos I’ve heard yet. Is there something wrong in the mastering or is it just a poor upmix? Thoughts anyone?

The new INXS Live Baby Live is the same mix as on the old DTS 5.1 DVD which was pretty useless, surround-wise.

The surrounds on the 'new' Atmos mix sound like one of those 'space' effects used on some tracks in the seventies, swish, swash, swish, wash...

There's nothing discrete just processed reverb with volume varying. Its horrible once you hear it.

This should NEVER have been released as Atmos. Anyone listening to this as their first Atmos music experience WILL NOT come back for more.

Back