Iron Maiden - Senjutsu September 3rd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a maiden fanatic in the mid-late 80s but lost interest in them as a studio band after 7th son. They certainly still bring it live and its good to see that they play so much newer material live and attract a younger audience in addition to the veteran fans. Theres too many heritage acts out there cluttering up the place, reliving past glories with diminishing returns

Ive only given the album a cursory listen so far (youtube only) but I like what Ive heard. Despite the presence off quite a few epics (all harris solo credits I note) it feels more concise than most of their recent work. I get the feeling that, aside from the clarity of his recordings, martin birch's main strength as a producer may have been that he had the strength of character to stand up to steve harris and get him to trim things back to their essentials.

The production seems far less murky and squashed than most of kevin shirleys other outings with them, although as Ive only heard it via youtube that opinion may change. As ever, itll probably take me about half a decade to settle on a firm opinion

Highlight for me so far is Lost in A Lost World. I like The Writing On The Wall but something about it doesnt quite gel for me - enjoyed the cheesy video though

Best album cover since they sacked off derek riggs, I even prefer it to Maiden Japan

I get the feeling that, aside from the clarity of his recordings, martin birch's main strength as a producer may have been that he had the strength of character to stand up to steve harris and get him to trim things back to their essentials.

So much this. I love Maiden. I have all their stuff. And while I think this album is good, it is bogged down with the Harris compositions. Since Bruce returned to the band, there is at least one per album, and usually a couple. In this case, there are three in a row at the end and I think 4 or 5 total. It's absurd. They all follow the same formula. Low key intro with Steve's bass riff the driving force, and if you're unlucky they'll end that way too, then onto the usual heavy riffing parts. Preferably throw some kind of Irish jig type thing somewhere in the middle, although in the case of Death Of The Celts, it actually makes sense. In that song, specifically, they could've just started about 5 min in and had a nice nod to Losfer Words from Powerslave. But no, let's make it 11 minutes long. Or is that the one that's only 10 minutes? I can't remember, because they all run together, from one album to another. While we'd all appreciate the next Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, it never followed that formula, plus it was a great song on top of everything else.

One good thing about this album is that this is the first album since Bruce's return where I don't think Bruce has sung the choruses to death. That was a big fault of previous efforts. Like how many times do I have to hear him sing "Blood broooooothers!"? They definitely toned Bruce down on this effort. Now they just need to do the same thing with Steve. Maybe throw that brooding bass part in the middle somewhere (assuming it adds anything to the song), maybe cut the repeated guitar riffs from 8 to 4 (or better yet, 2). Shirley needs to put his foot down.

I have never enjoyed the music of Iron Maiden and listening to this album sounds like your typical Maiden music. The only way I could be listening again and if I know Steven Wilson does a 5.1 remix of one of their best album, which seems improbable

Apart from the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son albums, I'm not sure Maiden would benefit from a surround mix. Somewhere In Time would benefit from a new stereo mix, period. And, as an aside, I get the impression that Steven may not be a fan based on the anecdotal experience of him going through all the concert t-shirts evident at his show, stopping at Iron Maiden, and giving off a very "meh" vibe. :ROFLMAO:

I would love to see Maiden return to songs 3 to 5 minutes long.
Beside the fact that all songs are midtempo the last 4 or 5 albums, they get me to sleep with neverending tunes.

7th Son was their last classic album.
I will stay in the past. Enough good ones! :)

Brutal is right. I hope I am not a shit fan liking shit music, but I have listened to this a few times on Tidal and I am liking it better. I certainly don't expect audiophile brilliance from Iron Maiden. I think I will buy this weekend from HDTRacks.
Have you looked at the album with Apple Music on TV? When the album art comes up on Apple Music the Eddie Samurai's arm moves up and down, cool.

Last edited:
disjointed thoughts follow ...

Love me some Maiden, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit my online copy of The Final Frontier benefits from a bonus track of The Final Frontier without the 4'36" bloat that is Satellite 15.
Everyone is spot on, freshen it up with a new producer and consider trimming some songs. It if it long because it is interesting, great. If it is long because you like the extra intro/outro/chorus/solo then perhaps do some editing.

Dance of Death may be the all time worst Maiden cover, but Paschendale is an example of a great song whose length is an integral part of the song and not an attempt to hit the minute cap of CD media.

One good thing about this album is that this is the first album since Bruce's return where I don't think Bruce has sung the choruses to death. That was a big fault of previous efforts. Like how many times do I have to hear him sing "Blood broooooothers!"?

Shirley needs to put his foot down.

In fairness, I think the repeated chorus thing is done with live performance in mind - 50,000 pumped up south americans singing along with blood brothers is pretty rousing stuff. Not that that excuses it on the album of course. Sometimes I think the choruses which just consist of the title repeated ad nauseum are just there so you can tell which cookie cutter maiden filler track youre actually listening to; theres not a lot else to differentiate them sometimes.

I think its time shirley pointed his feet towards the door, although Im not sure who would make a good replacement. Obviously it's not wise to leave steve unattended, it'd just end up with one 74 minute track per album - and the 1st 28 minutes would just be the moody bass intro..........

It is brutal (I think he may be channeling Sam Kinison) but he voices a lot of the same observation we have on this thread (although a bit over the top). I have not listened to any of this new album yet (I am ordering it tonight because I have been out of town and will be home tomorrow) but listening to the short clips on this review, they all sound decent for 30 seconds. This makes me reiterate that the biggest issue might be the length of the songs. Not all songs deserve to be more than 4 minutes and listening to a song that doesn't deserve to be that length is exhausting and not at all enjoyable.
BTW, a lot of the complaints voiced here about Maiden could also be applied to Priest's last several albums IMO. I have every album by both bands.

I think its time shirley pointed his feet towards the door, although Im not sure who would make a good replacement. Obviously it's not wise to leave steve unattended, it'd just end up with one 74 minute track per album - and the 1st 28 minutes would just be the moody bass intro..........

:ROFLMAO:

I've been enjoying it, better than Book of Souls I think.
senju.jpg

I recently went back and listened to every Maiden album again in preparation for this release, and Powerslave (among many others) still blows my mind... something amazing was going on between Adrian Smith and Dave Murray on that album... almost every song has an instrumental section where Smith & Murray play these incredibly intricate, synchronized riffs where they're just locked in... sounds almost like classical music during these sections... Pure Euphoria! It seems like most Maiden album rankings put Number of The Beast at the top, but for me it's Powerslave (followed by Beast and Piece of Mind).

Regarding the latest album, it's pretty good start to finish: no real low points but no euphoric moments either... and like all of their albums since Brave New World, there are too many songs, the songs are too long, and there are too many intros and outros. But for guys in their sixties, they're still kicking ass! I ended up cutting a tune or two, and using Audacity to remove most of the intros and outros, and even cutting some monotonous sections from within some songs... ended up with something just under an hour (perfect for my drive to work!)

I recently went back and listened to every Maiden album again in preparation for this release, and Powerslave (among many others) still blows my mind... something amazing was going on between Adrian Smith and Dave Murray on that album... almost every song has an instrumental section where Smith & Murray play these incredibly intricate, synchronized riffs where they're just locked in... sounds almost like classical music during these sections... Pure Euphoria! It seems like most Maiden album rankings put Number of The Beast at the top, but for me it's Powerslave (followed by Beast and Piece of Mind).

Regarding the latest album, it's pretty good start to finish: no real low points but no euphoric moments either... and like all of their albums since Brave New World, there are too many songs, the songs are too long, and there are too many intros and outros. But for guys in their sixties, they're still kicking ass! I ended up cutting a tune or two, and using Audacity to remove most of the intros and outros, and even cutting some monotonous sections from within some songs... ended up with something just under an hour (perfect for my drive to work!)
I fully appreciate your comments. It makes me want to listen a bit deeper. Obvioulsy, I have Powerslave. I need to revisit!!

OK, I just checked my Iron Maiden folder...and it's empty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Oh, no, what has happened? I've lost all my Maiden rips.........wa wa wa wa. Now what? Ugh............................................

OK, I just checked my Iron Maiden folder...and it's empty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Oh, no, what has happened? I've lost all my Maiden rips.........wa wa wa wa. Now what? Ugh............................................
What happened, let me know if you need help.

I love the hell out of the attitude of this band! I grew up on Black Sabbath so I'm programmed to like rock guitar and drums. (And bass, yes, and Steve Harris IS Iron Maiden and all that!)
S/T and Killers (and all the same period singles and EPs) are still my favorite. The first couple albums with Bruce are still pretty great. Bruce is obviously a great singer but I kind of miss the more punk element. That band was the weirdest combination of progressive/punk/hard rock that you'll ever hear!
After piece of Mind and Powerslave I start reaching for the skip button.

Those first albums sort of hold up well enough somehow but it probably doesn't help that all their almubs are mixed for shit. So there's a bluray with this release but not even another poor attempt at a 5.1 mix? The hell?!

Listening now to the HDTRacks 24/96 stereo download, certainly sounds better than from Tidal or Apple. But, bass is great, vocals are a little buried. If I get past critical listening, I have read so much negative and positive, that now I made the decision to purchase, I like it. Can be a little slow at times, would like it to be more revved up. For now I am enjoying.
DR's in order of track list: 7, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 7, 6, 6, 6,.
Hey, notice the last 3 DR's are 666, wonder if they compressed on purpose? :unsure:
R-20103211-1630700472-9804.jpeg.jpg

Back