Iron Maiden - Senjutsu September 3rd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During a recent interview with SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation Virtual Invasion", Bruce Dickinson discussed IRON MAIDEN's penchant for writing long, progressive intricate songs, including on the band's latest effort, "Senjutsu", which features three tracks whose running time exceeds 10 minutes each.

"Steve [Harris, MAIDEN bassist] and I are partially responsible [for that]," he said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "I did the whole thing about the airship disaster, the R101, which was 18 minutes or something crazy," he said, referring to the song "Empire Of The Clouds" which appeared on MAIDEN's "The Book Of Souls" album. "And that was basically arranged for an orchestra, which at the time we didn't have.

"For this album, yeah, Steve is a big fan of prog, as am I," he explained. "I was talking to somebody else about this, about the different bands that we both liked. Steve, for example, is a big fan of JETHRO TULL. I'm also a big fan of JETHRO TULL. He loves 'A Passion Play' and 'Think As A Brick'; I'm more 'Aqualung' and the early stuff. But nevertheless, we both meet in the middle there. He's a big GENESIS fan — the Peter Gabriel GENESIS, 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway'; he loves all that. Me, I'm not crazy about GENESIS, but I loved Peter Gabriel's, I think it was his third solo album, [with songs like] 'Intruder' [and] 'No Self Control' — scary, dark, really moody stuff. And there was a band called VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, who were contemporaries of GENESIS, and in a way, they were even a bit more out there than GENESIS. Well, I loved them. And I borrowed bits of Peter Hammill, their vocalist's vocal style. So we both have this prog thing spinning around our heads, along with THIN LIZZY, DEEP PURPLE, [BLACK] SABBATH. He's a great fan of NEKTAR and the SCORPIONS.

"I was not that crazy about JUDAS PRIEST until I toured with them, till I toured with them in MAIDEN. And indeed the SCORPIONS the same. I never really got into PRIEST that much apart from 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' until I toured with them, and then I went, 'Wow. They do some really cool stuff.'

"So, those are all the kind of influences that are pinging around that end up with us doing all these great long songs," he continued. "And I don't mind them because it's kind of… I mean, some of the stuff, like 'The Parchment', it's almost like self-hypnosis listening to that — it really is. [If we perform that song live], I'll be round the back having a glass of non-alcoholic water. I get a five-and-a-half-minute tea break in the middle of 'The Parchment'."

Back