Iron Maiden - Senjutsu September 3rd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
New Maiden coming out soon! The Super Deluxe version contains a Blu-ray that says DTS-MA on it, but I'm assuming that's for the "Making Of" Video (no mention of a 5.1 mix)
Capture.JPG

I love the song. Me, being a long time Maiden fan, had grown super tired of their sound. I just felt like it was always a rehash of previous albums...only progressively not as good. This sounds different. I appreciate that. But, good God. $125? No 5.1 of the main album? (likely not)

Not a chance in hell. I may buy the vinyl. Even that is expensive, IMO. $45 more or less. Why does everything have to be so damn expensive???

But... the studio they've recorded the album at is now equipped for Atmos:
He said that he had spent three months in Paris earlier in 2019 working on an unnamed not-so-secret project that ended up with him having a loud ringing in his ears. The speculations were put to rest with the announcement of the 17th album, which Steve Harris said was recorded at the Guillaume Tell Studio. Since they had chosen the studio again for “The Book of Souls” and “Brave New Worlds,” Iron Maiden picked it again for their latest album, saying it has a relaxed vibe. Harris explained that the studio was once a cinema; therefore, it has high ceilings that facilitate great acoustic sounds. The studio recently adopted producing music in Dolby Atmos; therefore, it upgraded its 5.1 mixing room to include eight extra Genelec speakers. The 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos studio also includes two surround rear speakers, two surround speakers, four Atmos speakers, three front speakers, and two wide surround speakers that optimize transition between surround and front speakers. The sound engineer Denis Caribaux said the investment would make Guillaume Tell Studio a creative home for artists, so maybe even for their next albums, Iron Maiden will choose it again.
Source: What We Know About Iron Maiden's New Album "Senjutsu" So Far
1627480382560.png

And so is now Kevin Shirley, the producer:
1627481732232.png

Listening now to Senjutsu from Iron Maiden via Apple Music, streams at Lossless 24/48, stereo only.
Comes across very well on home rig, good soundstage, plays really nice, width and height of stereo image. It does sound compressed however, vocals suffer the most.
HDTRacks has for sale at 24/96, not convinced that would be a big improvement over this Apple at, no charge.

I also have been listening on Apple Music. Lossless is lossless. The compression you're hearing might be dynamic compression? Which would affect the HDTracks, if they're mastered the same.
96k is going to improve a Maiden album!
Anyway, I like the album, overall. The sum is greater than the parts. Several standout tracks. Apple Music does sound better than the YouTube preview tracks the band released.
RBCD buy for me, eventually.

I've listened to this for the 4th time through and honestly, I feel it's their best record since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and I don't say that lightly. The songs are very well-written and I think the ageing of Bruce's voice helps this record, as he isn't "over-singing" anything beyond his limits. I personally love it and can't say I've "loved" a new Maiden album in over 30 years. Up the irons!

IDK about best since 7th Son, but maybe Brave New World. While I like this new album, quite a bit in spots, and it doesn't seem to have any dismal lows (still not crazy about TWotW), it also doesn't have any soaring highs, to me.

Even on weaker albums, I can point to a song or two that really do it for me. Not sure that's the case here. Maybe not on No Prayer or Virtual XI either! :ROFLMAO:

IDK about best since 7th Son, but maybe Brave New World. While I like this new album, quite a bit in spots, and it doesn't seem to have any dismal lows (still not crazy about TWotW), it also doesn't have any soaring highs, to me.

Even on weaker albums, I can point to a song or two that really do it for me. Not sure that's the case here. Maybe not on No Prayer or Virtual XI either! :ROFLMAO:

I love The Clansman but I'll confess that song is much better live with Bruce singing it. :)

Even on weaker albums, I can point to a song or two that really do it for me. ...

I agree with that but I also feel like I have been buying every disk out of duty and just to be a completist for a long time. Lately I feel like their albums might be stronger and have more impact if they cut the running time down a bit and were a bit more selective about what songs they include. Being a prog guy I like longer songs but if you look at their most successful albums, they weren't loaded with 8+ minute songs.

Being completely honest here, after Piece Of Mind, I sort of lost interest a bit.
Same thing here but I made it to 7th Son, but like edison said, there is always a song or two on each album that warrants some attention.

Same thing here but I made it to 7th Son, but like edison said, there is always a song or two on each album that warrants some attention.
I agree with that too. I did buy future albums after POM, but they just didn't grip me as much. Though, Seventh Son is a good album.

I have never enjoyed the music of Iron Maiden and listening to this album sounds like your typical Maiden music. The only way I could be listening again and if I know Steven Wilson does a 5.1 remix of one of their best album, which seems improbable

Back