Is 7.1 enough?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baward

I have installed a 7.1 system, but I don't want to install any more height speakers (cost+partner's wishes to consider). I and my Sony STR-DN1080 are pretty happy. With this configuration, I definitely appreciate the fullness of Atmos movies that I play through it. Would it be worth me installing the appropriate hardware (i.e Apple TV etc) if I wanted to experience Atmos music? Or would I only have that with the minimum overhead speakers (which as I said, I am not prepared to do)?

Thanks.

I’ll leave it to other people to get more into the specifics re: your setup etc as I am but a lowly sound bar user (I know I know), but on paper a 7.1 should be fine.

Atmos, as part of its spec is built on a 7.1 ”core”, whether that be Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, or Dolby MAT (edit: correction to myself, MAT is just the delivery system for data layers for Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD. The Apple TV in audio settings does report “Dolby MAT” as the output however) The Atmos layer, operating on top of that core is what provides object based rendering, and thus height.

Since all Atmos mixed products (movies, music, games, etc) still have that 7.1 fallback core, if no Atmos decoder/heights are detected, it should fall back to 7.1 on your system.

As to whether or not going for an Apple TV for Atmos music is worth it, I recall seeing one or two albums in the “Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple” thread that people with a 5.1 and no heights did not find as effective as those who had a 5.1.2 system (or higher), but I cannot remember them off the top of my head. However, YMMV

Until I upgraded at Christmas, I was running 7.1 with an AppleTV for streaming music and I was happy. Was I missing out a bit on some things not having heights? No doubt. But I didn’t know what it was and it didn’t ruin what I was listening to.

Atmos, as part of its spec is built on a 7.1 ”core”, whether that be Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, or Dolby MAT
Just a correction, I do not believe that DD+ has a 7.1 core. Tracks that I've got in atmos on DD+ have a 5.1 Core instead. However it is correct that on TrueHD the core stream is in 7.1. If you're hearing 7.1 out of Tidal for example (which uses DD+ Joc with a 5.1 core stream) it would mean that you're playing back the DD+ Joc Atmos stream downmixed to your system.

Through a recommendation on this site, I downloaded the Atmos Home Theatre Installation Guide which has the attached diagram.

Told my wife that I just wanted a similar setup as the one on the left and to be thankful I wasn’t going for the one on the right... just yet.

Attachments

• Atmos Speaker Setup.png
    Atmos Speaker Setup.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been using 7.1 since 1989. I converted to 7.1.4 Atmos in 2022.

I have found that material recorded for Atmos usually sounds significantly more “exciting” in Atmos than in 7.1. Material recorded in 5.1 or 7.1 sounds variably better, depending on the source, (but can sound much worse) when upmixed to 7.1.4 with Dolby Surround.

Material recorded in 5.1 sounds marginally to significantly better, depending on the source, when upmixed to Auro 3D 5.1.5. I’ve never had an instance where Auro 3D upmixing made things sound worse.

I have found that material recorded for Atmos usually sounds significantly more “exciting” in Atmos than in 7.1. Material recorded in 5.1 or 7.1 sounds variably better, depending on the source, (but can sound much worse) when upmixed to 7.1.4 with Dolby Surround.

Material recorded in 5.1 sounds marginally to significantly better, depending on the source, when upmixed to Auro 3D 5.1.5. I’ve never had an instance where Auro 3D upmixing made things sound worse.
Do you find AURO 3D upmixing increases bass?

I have installed a 7.1 system, but I don't want to install any more height speakers (cost+partner's wishes to consider). I and my Sony STR-DN1080 are pretty happy. With this configuration, I definitely appreciate the fullness of Atmos movies that I play through it. Would it be worth me installing the appropriate hardware (i.e Apple TV etc) if I wanted to experience Atmos music? Or would I only have that with the minimum overhead speakers (which as I said, I am not prepared to do)?

Thanks.
If you don’t want to install height speakers then you need upfiring atmos speakers which sit on top of your front speakers. I have upfiring atmos speakers and they seem great for movies but crap for music, I wouldn’t bother if I was you, especially if you’re happy with what you have at the moment, just my twopence worth

I have exactly the same experience. Of course good discrete Atmos mix need at least 7.1.4 Even I get more "exciting" some Atmos mixes that make use of the Wides 9.1.4

Normally, some Stereo mixes are generally good upmixed with DSU. You can get pure discrete sounds like chorus voices, or some instruments are 'moved' to the rears and get some ambient in the rest of speakers, from just stereo mixes.

For 5.1 mixes the DSU upmix is not always good. If the 5.1 mix is discrete enough, you get a much cleaner sound with the original 5.1, because DSU use to blur the sounds when upmixing. Even the side surrounds moved or copied to rear surrounds with DSU 5.1 to 7.1 can be better or worst depending on the mix.

If the surrounds (5.1) or side surrounds (7.1) are at 90º you often get a great binaural rear sounds 'inside your head' that sometimes my brain interpret as sound coming from above. I have to check the AVR and put myself standup to convince me that no sound is coming from Top speakers. So you can get a good enough immersive experience with 5.1/7.1 with 90º sides. Although the 90º sides may be overwhelming sometimes.

Upmixing with Auro-Matic usually keeps the original 5.1 feeling, upmix the stereo and don't blur the sound. Perhaps the 'discrete' separation of the upmix is lower than DSU, but the fidelity and clean sound is higher.

Do you find AURO 3D upmixing increases bass?

Yes. Sometimes I have to adjust the intensity settings of the Auro-Matic upmixer when I feel too much bass. Or lower a little the SUB gain to compensate.

Thanks.

I don't have Apple TV neither listened to Apple Atmos music, but all people say that Apple TV would decode its Atmos music to the core 5.1 and are able to pay multichannel in a non-Atmos AVR.
You just have to confirm that.

Because in my case, with TIDAL Atmos music, if the player does not find an Atmos capable system, it switches to the stereo track version and you are not able to play the core 5.1 from DD+

I only have 7.1 but we have worked out a way to put some ceiling speakers up shortly. I only have plasterboard, but we are utilising the loft above to hang speakers brackets through ceiling. Should be done next weekend.

The OP's 7.1 system already includes height speakers (5 speakers 'on the ground' and 2 on the ceiling, plus 1 sub) . This is a minimal ATMOS configuration.

If your 7.1 doesn't include height speakers (either ceiling or upward-firing), it's not the same thing, and it's not an ATMOS config yet.

Imagine a hollow sphere with a Lazy-Boy suspended in it's center. The entire inside wall of the sphere containing hundreds of speakers completely enveloping the listener. Is that enough?
It all depends on the Mix

Good mixes may completely envelop the Lazy-Boy, even with just 4.0

Bad or poor mixes may stress the Lazy-boy because of the wasted amount of speakers.

The OP's 7.1 system already includes height speakers (5 speakers 'on the ground' and 2 on the ceiling, plus 1 sub) . This is a minimal ATMOS configuration.

If your 7.1 doesn't include height speakers (either ceiling or upward-firing), it's not the same thing, and it's not an ATMOS config yet.

Good to know.... that I will never be doing Atmos in the current place I am now living. I could hit the lotto, and move to a much larger place, it's always possible.

Back