Is AIX Records still taking orders?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. His itrax.com site it gone, but the aix website is still there. However, no new updates.

We haven't had Mark stop by here in a few years

I don’t see a way to hear samples on the site, or am I blind?
Though I’m sure the SQ is outstanding I need know if the music is my cup of tea before buying anything

Edit: apparently you can listen to samples on their old site www.aixrecords.com

Last edited:

If you guys liked that, let me tell you a little story about one of those Jazz titles. There's a title I just ordered which was going for over $100 on Amazon, I of course decided to wait. Reading about Aix's new site, and with the discount AND free shipping; just running across this thread prevented me from getting gouged from a unscrupulous seller.

Thanks guys!

While I'm at it, I read on Aix's website http://www.aixrecords.com/contact/about_mw.html that "lawyers killed the DVDA." (It's on the right hand side.) Could anyone direct me or fill me in on the story about that?

I'm assuming DVD-A is not dead, but from what I gather lawyers somehow slowed down the progress of DVD-A? Since there's SACD and Blu-ray Audio, I guess it really wouldn't matter if it was dead or not.

Thanks,

While I'm at it, I read on Aix's website http://www.aixrecords.com/contact/about_mw.html that "lawyers killed the DVDA." (It's on the right hand side.) Could anyone direct me or fill me in on the story about that?

I'm assuming DVD-A is not dead, but from what I gather lawyers somehow slowed down the progress of DVD-A? Since there's SACD and Blu-ray Audio, I guess it really wouldn't matter if it was dead or not.

Thanks,

A few artists are still releasing in DVD~Audio [Djabe*, King Crimson, AIX to name a few] but unfortunately, the trend has been among the majors to release in LOSSY DVD~V DTS/DD 5.1 and PCM 96/24 Stereo. Thankfully, we're still treated to lossless SACD and BD~A [blu ray audio] by the artists who still care about quality and hopefully that trend will continue.

Welcome to the forum. Will look forward to many more posts from you.

*http://djabe.hu/diszkografia/

Thanks,

When DVD-A was launched, it was set to be a standard feature of ALL DVD players sold, just like the fast forward button, but some people in Europe broke the copy protection on the discs, so the record label lawyers would not allow the DVD-A capability to be included in DVD players until a new copy protection scheme (which I believe was the watermark) to be implemented.

This delay not only kept DVD-A out of the initial launch DVD players, requiring folks to later buy ANOTHER DVD player in order to be able to play DVD-Audios, it allowed (the evil :) ) Sony to launch an all out anti-DVD-A assault, adding 5.1 to their new SACD format, and giving huge incentives to labels like Universal to release titles in SACD over DVD-Audio.

Two blows that would make it very difficult for the format to survive. And that doesn't even count the Napster/MP3 impending revolution of music listening.

Last edited:
...unfortunately, the trend has been among the majors to release in LOSSY DVD~V DTS/DD 5.1 and PCM 96/24 Stereo.

Starting now as a off comment, I'm going to start abbreviating Blu-ray Audio as BD-A.

Thanks for the update, I didn't know that was the trend. I haven't really followed the trend since around 2000 or so when I could walk into a Best Buy and go to the DVD-A section to look at the available titles. I'm glad I did as I ended up buying a good small amount of titles released on that format from around that time. I haven't listened to them much over the years, but when I did; I was astounded by the higher quality audio and in particular the 5.1 mixes.

There was a time I really wanted to get into SACD, but buying into SACD equipment was a bit problematic for me. I didn't want to buy a dedicated SACD player. At first there were (if I remember correctly) SACD players that could only play back stereo in high resolution. Then came the players that could play back multi-channel SACDs. But, at the prices they were asking and the fact that over the years there were disc players that could only play DVD-A and BD-A, and not many could do all three, as those players were reserved for the highest player in the product line. There were ones that could usually only do DVD-A and BD-A (without the SACD,) and ones that did SACD and BD-A, but not DVD-A. So that was kind of frustrating. Also of all the disc formats I had in my collection, the least amount of high resolution discs I had was on SACD (really only one or two at that time.) So not having a player that could unlock the high resolution format of a couple discs wasn't really a big deal.

Now that I've finally did a bit of an audio upgrade for the first time in 10 years, https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/show-us-your-gear.6450/page-19#post-436359 things have changed. Today's receivers now typically decode DSD streams along with all the other formats (even my older one from about 10 years ago did) but it's the players that have mostly changed. For just a few hundred dollars, finally I was able to buy a brand new Sony disc player (bought to be used only to play audio discs) that can play all those disc formats. Since the player is basically sending the stream to the receiver, to me there's no argument if the SACD player is a good one or not. My receiver does a fine job of decoding the DSD stream thank you. And I'm sure many others receivers owned by those within this forum also does a fine job of decoding most if not all the multiple digital streams from BD-A, DVD-A and SACD.

Since my audio update; I've bought quite a few SACDs, a couple BD-As, a few DVD-A discs from AIX by the way, along with one HDAD. I'm also looking into the ratings of certain discs reviewed here on QQ as potential purchases in the future.

Thankfully, we're still treated to lossless SACD and BD~A [blu ray audio] by the artists who still care about quality and hopefully that trend will continue.

I really liked the idea of SACD when I first heard about it at least when it comes to the hybrids, that a regular CD player can play the Red Book standard and when one is ready, all anyone had to do was upgrade to a SACD player. Those discs could be easily revisited to enjoy the higher resolution audio. To me, SACD was a no-brainer. There was a time when people bought their music on CD, and adding another layer of advanced resolution audio onto the same disc that was compatible was and still is a great idea. I envisioned a day when I would walk into a store, buy a CD without being really concerned if the disc I was buying also had a 2nd higher bit-rate layer as I would have assumed it did. Of course fantasy and reality are much different things. In general, the big talk about SACD came and went pretty quickly, but luckily the format still survives today. They can be found, and there seems to be quite a bit of material released on SACD, but it's a format you have to know where to search if you want to browse though a good selection.

Of course Napster and Mp3 kind of killed people buying music on CDs. In a way however, Napster did start a music download revolution in that high resolution audio can also be bought and downloaded...a formula that seems to be somewhat popular. I personally however can't stand having digital versions of music; I most enjoy having something to hold on to, read, and place onto a shelf as part of a collection. Digital collections simply don't do it for me.

Also with my audio update; I've been more interested in high quality audio releases more than ever before. Sure, I like the rock masters remixed from the original multitrack tapes, and now I'm looking at the quality of recordings from the entire AIX catalog. I currently have three from AIX and I want to get a 4th (which I ordered just a couple days ago.) I know all the groups are very talented, and the recordings are exceptional, but there's only so much I can add to my collection from music and artists with whom I'm not familiar.

The BD-A format really excited me when I first learned about it. Since at first I never really had a SACD player, and most everyone I know has a Blu-ray player, which is also usually hooked up with speakers in a 5.1 configurations because of movies being usually mixed at minimum with a 5.1 format; it seemed like a no brainer. People's homes are now more than ever set up and ready for 5.1 audio and it seems to me like that would be a matter of easy acceptance of an audio format with the same configuration. I guess the same could be said of DVD-A, but Blu-ray is the progressor of DVD, so it seems natural that BD-A would take over DVD-A. It's only been recently (at least to me) that audio only Blu-rays have been getting released more frequently.

If DVD-A was to drop off from this earth, I really wouldn't be too disappointed. DVD-A however seems to be hanging on with a release here and there, but as you say with formats like SACD and BD-A, there's at least a continuation of choices of high resolution media to choose from.

Welcome to the forum. Will look forward to many more posts from you.

Thanks, it's been fun! And thanks for the link...very interesting.

Last edited:
When DVD-A was launched, it was set to be a standard feature of ALL DVD players sold, just like the fast forward button, but some people in Europe broke the copy protection on the discs, so the record label lawyers would not allow the DVD-A capability to be included in DVD players until a new copy protection scheme (which I believe was the watermark) to be implemented.

This delay not only kept DVD-A out of the initial launch DVD players, requiring folks to later buy ANOTHER DVD player in order to be able to play DVD-Audios, it allowed (the evil :) ) Sony to launch an all out anti-DVD-A assault, adding 5.1 to their new SACD format, and giving huge incentives to labels like Universal to release titles in SACD over DVD-Audio.

Two blows that would make it very difficult for the format to survive. And that doesn't even count the Napster/MP3 impending revolution of music listening.

Thanks, that exactly the info I was looking for! It's funny, you also mentioned Napster and Mp3 in your post. You know your stuff!

Speaking of AIX, came across this 'bargain' Blu~Ray Audio/Video/RBCD combo perusing the AmazonUS website. Ordered one ......

Sounds like a good find. I did a quick listen through to the music and I can say for sure he has some good melodies along with a good production that's sure to sound good on your system. I recently purchased a Jazz title and even though there were a few good tunes on it, I found the mix was a bit odd in the way one or two of the instruments were way too much in the background. I know in some cases there's different mixes such as like being in the audience or on stage...maybe I should have tried a different mix. I'll give that a try when I get around to listening to it again.

Let us know how the mix sounds on your system...

Back