Is Amazon Dropping Dolby Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little device placed between the 4K FireTV and my receiver gives me ATMOS on Prime with my LG 1080p projector.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-1x2-4K-60Hz/dp/B07VP37KMB?

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the device between the receiver and the projector? That would make it think you had a 4K TV for all devices connected, would it not?

I get Atmos on Disney+ on my AppleTV 4K even with 2K output (only trick is it seems you have to test the "HDR" modes even if they don't work on a 2K projector and then magically Atmos works on everything but Vudu and Prime on the ATV4K that I've tried here (i.e. It works with iTunes, Disney+ and Netflix).

Last edited:
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the device between the receiver and the projector? That would make it think you had a 4K TV for all devices connected, would it not?

I suppose that could work as long as all the devices got the fake EDID. In my case it doesn't matter since the Fire TV Stick 4k is the only 4K capable device in the system.

As much as I used to avoid Prime...I use it all the time now...I have to order things now for my sister..who needs medical related items...and I've gotten them quickly..and as Ralphie mentioned...amazon is no worse than many other companies in regards to working conditions....and it's nice to be able to get an inexpensive item without searching for something to bundle it with to get free shipping...

I can't stream anything because the internet is so slow here...so video content never enters into the picture...a lot of the slow shipping really depends where you are located...if you are in the proximity of an Amazon distribution center and they have the product you get it quickly...I'm paying $12.99 a month and waiting until Prime goes on sale so I will jump to an annual rate...
The internet is slow on the space station????? ;)
Yeah I had satellite internet for years because the phone company wouldn't do a simple double pair ADSL....until finally they did.
I think I'm paying $119/year for prime? IDK that or less.
Atmos sound on Prime...haven't investigated so don't know, not much of a tv person although we watch some on Prime.
But yes, like many I am enamored of Prime. I order everything from blank BD's to shoes (got me some spiffy Reeboks a few weeks ago) to even mower blades. ...and of course music.

@goatfarm - Hey, that cheap scaler works perfectly here. Thanks for the tip on that as it was a LOT cheaper than getting an HDFury! :)

I used a USB port on the NVidia Shield to power it and that seems to work fine.

I just set the devices to 4K SDR and everything looks as good or better than it did before (seems like maybe there's less artifacting?) and Atmos now works on Vudu and Prime (such as it is; Jack Ryan works in Atmos, but most of my UHD library is only available as 5.1 whereas it's Atmos on AppleTV off iTunes' Movies Anywhere versions) on the AppleTV 4K. For some odd reason, Netflix is saying it has Atmos for some titles, but it's only giving me stereo (it worked before in Atmos, but that might be an issue on their side as I haven't used it in awhile; it's getting a software update right now too). My NVidia Shield 2017 Pro now does Atmos in Vudu, but it doesn't work in Prime or Disney+ for some reason (or Netflix). I use it mostly for KODI anyway. I've got a 4K FireTV+ Stick too, but I didn't see the need for it downstairs, but if they have Atmos audio for music, it might be worth connecting (The PRIME app on ATV 4K is only for movies). There's also TIDAL on ATV4K, but that's a subscription and quite a lot if you don't use it all the time (I've been pretty happy with my own personal collection; I'm not real big on today's "hit" music).

Atmos is working on everything including Prime on my Apple TV with that scaler now (Netflix fixed). Only certain programming is in Atmos on Prime like Jack Ryan. Atmos also works on my Shield now for Vudu and Prime, but not Netflix or Disney+, but that appears to be Nvidia's fault.

I don't know what works in Atmos on a Firestick as I'm not currently using one.

Back