Is Amazon Dropping Dolby Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Prime.

What content is (was) in atmos and was this free content that was included with Prime or available with the rent/buy versions of movies on Prime?

What I'm saying is, was there really that much Prime atmos content to begin with because honestly I never ran across it with all my viewing?

Last edited:
The 4K versions of Jack Ryan, Carnival Row & Hanna for sure were in Atmos. No longer...I checked. I don't know about other series or movies that are free with Prime. My gut tells me Amazon made a financial decision not to pay Dolby licensing for shows/movies that are free to Prime members. A guess but not a wild guess. Movies that are rented even to Prime members may still have Atmos, don't know and I'm not about to pay for them just to find out since most are ones I already own on disc with Atmos mixes.

It’s just that if Amazon does indeed drop Atmos, there may be unhappy Prime customers who really wanted it. I am one who doesn’t care what they do or don’t do, but I don’t have Prime.

So to summarize...you are non-prime and not interested and don't care....and you just wanted us to know thato_O:unsure:

News like this, while being not important for an eventual series watching like Carnival Row being or not being in Atmos, Are Really important to follow the trends of what Dolby Atmos offering will be in near future from the different providers.

All of us, who have invested in Surround and Atmos listening/viewing room, want obviously to get as much as Atmos offering as possible. Our hope is that would eventually make bigger the market demand, and more important for us, make bigger the creativity of artists making good mixes in Dolby Atmos. Either Music or films.

What bothers me about Prime and some other services (e.g. Vudu) is that they require you have a 4K TV/Projector in order to view Atmos titles (or 4K/Atmos) so even with a Prime account and 4K FireTV and FireTV sticks, I can't get Atmos sound regardless with them. Apple TV 4K does work with Atmos here and I've been contemplating getting Tidal as there's a good chance it will work in Atmos on the ATV. I guess what bothers me is that 4K and Atmos are separate technologies and the only direct link to them being tied together is essentially marketing. Even a 4K stream scaled down to 2K should theoretically look better as it probably has a higher overall bitrate than the 2K streams on many services. Services like Vudu and Prime don't even offer you the option, even if you own the UHD titles.

I waited years for a 4K projector to come out (other than the extremely expensive Sony models) to replace the 720P projector I used for around 8 years and I got sick of waiting and finally bought a 2K/3D Epson projector a few years ago. Of course, then a tidal wave of 4K and pseudo-4K projectors came out shortly thereafter, but I haven't been in a huge hurry just to get what I calculate to be a 25% "usable" improvement in the picture (at 20/20 vision; quite a bit higher at 20/10). The picture at 9 feet with a 92" screen and 1080p is more than acceptable and I spent more time collecting 3D movies (currently at 227 I believe). I can get an HDFury to "fool" the services into giving me Atmos, but it's a good fraction of the price of a cheaper model pseudo-4K Epson projector so I keep thinking I'd rather just buy the projector at some point.

KODI and AppleTV 4K (as well as my Zidoo X9S for 3D playback) let me use Atmos without a 4K projector as does my LG 4K UHD player. So all my Movies Anywhere movies play in Atmos on the ATV 4K as well as my Blu-Rays/UHD BDs and home server dumps of them via KODI or Zidoo X9S. Between those, there's not much else FireTV could offer to get me to speed up the process, really. I've thought about getting Tidal for Atmos music playback, but I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it right now seeing as I'm still dozens of titles behind in movie viewing as it is (I have around 1300 movies and probably about 40-60 in 3D I haven't watched yet alone).

I waited years for a 4K projector to come out (other than the extremely expensive Sony models) to replace the 720P projector I used for around 8 years and I got sick of waiting and finally bought a 2K/3D Epson projector a few years ago.

My first projector has been 4K Optoma UHZ65 Laser. I think it is good enough, no too much priced, BUT it lacks 3D. I doubted about the decision, thinking that, in the end, "3D is dead..." and I would not see many 3D films compared to the rest.

Now, after your review of Lichtmond The Journey, I have watched it again in 2D Atmos and it is amazing. And for the first time I watched it in 3D in another Panasonic TV, but without Atmos. 3D is really really amazing. Even my wife that do not stand very well the 3D, completely watched it till the end.

I now would want to have Projector 3D for big screen together with Atmos...

I've thought about getting Tidal for Atmos music playback, but I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it right now seeing as I'm still dozens of titles behind in movie viewing as it is (I have around 1300 movies and probably about 40-60 in 3D I haven't watched yet alone).

I subscribed to Tidal to get the first Atmos streaming service. Even I moved the HDFury Vertex2 to my second house in summer to be able to get Tidal Atmos in a 5.1 system with FireTV 4K. I dont get Atmos, but the Vertex2 "tells" the FireTV 4K to stream the Dolby Digital + signal instead of the Stereo, and I get some multichannel 5.1 for the Atmos tracks, at least in the summer house. In my main theater house I listen full Tidal Atmos, of course.

Well, it is just to play with it and to discover what some producers/mixers are doing in the Atmos music world. The Atmos Tidal titles list goes enlarging slowly, but if you don't like many of that music and try to listen just for the Atmos, it is really a monthly expensive service.

As much as I used to avoid Prime...I use it all the time now...I have to order things now for my sister..who needs medical related items...and I've gotten them quickly..and as Ralphie mentioned...amazon is no worse than many other companies in regards to working conditions....and it's nice to be able to get an inexpensive item without searching for something to bundle it with to get free shipping...

I can't stream anything because the internet is so slow here...so video content never enters into the picture...a lot of the slow shipping really depends where you are located...if you are in the proximity of an Amazon distribution center and they have the product you get it quickly...I'm paying $12.99 a month and waiting until Prime goes on sale so I will jump to an annual rate...

Guys, IMO, this thread has really gone down the rabbit hole here.. I would be more interested to know how many people really care if Atmos goes away than views about Prime and the sweat shop labor at Amazon. It is the audio that counts from my perspective! I will just say, it matters very little to me about the outcome of Atmos. My music listening can stay on the ground and surround me.

I don't see anything wrong with the direction of the thread...it's Amazon related topics...but the real issue is strict adherence to thread topics....with the exception of the poll threads....members should be able to be spontaneous and mention things outside the parameters of the topic...we WANT more participation on threads...not needless limitations of what we can say.......this isn't rocket science...it's a social forum...it's for FUN...just like you wanting to know how many people really care about Atmos...when you say that you really don't care about the outcome of Atmos...so how important could this thread be to you:)

As much as I used to avoid Prime...I use it all the time now...I have to order things now for my sister..who needs medical related items...and I've gotten them quickly..and as Ralphie mentioned...amazon is no worse than many other companies in regards to working conditions....and it's nice to be able to get an inexpensive item without searching for something to bundle it with to get free shipping...

I can't stream anything because the internet is so slow here...so video content never enters into the picture...a lot of the slow shipping really depends where you are located...if you are in the proximity of an Amazon distribution center and they have the product you get it quickly...I'm paying $12.99 a month and waiting until Prime goes on sale so I will jump to an annual rate...

As previously mentioned, I couldn't live without Prime and most of my latest purchases HAVE arrived in one or two days. Things you just can't find in local stores are there on Amazon and you have multiple items to choose from within those genres, as well.

As for PRIME video ...... type in a selection and chances are it's included FREE with Prime....saving me from purchasing BD~Vs and in some instances ONLY available on DVD which are NOW in at least 1080p resolution [rather than 480p] on PRIME VIDEO.

Use it for my business, as well.

NO COMPLAINTS HERE!

Last edited:
What bothers me about Prime and some other services (e.g. Vudu) is that they require you have a 4K TV/Projector in order to view Atmos titles (or 4K/Atmos) so even with a Prime account and 4K FireTV and FireTV sticks, I can't get Atmos sound regardless with them. Apple TV 4K does work with Atmos here and I've been contemplating getting Tidal as there's a good chance it will work in Atmos on the ATV. I guess what bothers me is that 4K and Atmos are separate technologies and the only direct link to them being tied together is essentially marketing. Even a 4K stream scaled down to 2K should theoretically look better as it probably has a higher overall bitrate than the 2K streams on many services. Services like Vudu and Prime don't even offer you the option, even if you own the UHD titles.

This little device placed between the 4K FireTV and my receiver gives me ATMOS on Prime with my LG 1080p projector.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-1x2-4K-60Hz/dp/B07VP37KMB?

Back