Is it even worth trying to find a cartridge/stylus to play CD-4 on my linear tracking P-mount (T4P) Turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, we posted simul!

It's an Audio Technica stylus, so you need an AT cart to match...I'll check my cart

(Later)
I'm using an AT122EP cartridge. But there may be better ones, as I alluded to above

Last edited:
I have 3 different p-mount cartridges - Technics EPS-310MC, AudioTechnica 8008, and Pickering XSP 3003. I don't have a CD-4 setup, but wish I did. Not sure if any of these would work, but the EPS-310MC seems to have decent enough specs (it's my go-to cartridge). HTH.

- Technics EPS-310MC specs are here. Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 60 kHz, channel separation: 28dB @ 1 kHz
- AudioTechnica 8008 specs are here. Frequency response is 5 - 30 kHz, channel separation: 31dB @ 1 kHz
- Pickering XSP/3003 specs are here. Frequency range is 10 - 30 kHz, channel separation: 35db @ 10 kHz

Last edited:
I currently have an AT112EP cartridge. Now I am confused if the stylus it the limitation or the cartridge is the limitation of both? If I can save money keeping the AT112EP cartridge and replace just the stylus with a Shibata stylus I might be willing to do that.

I have 3 different p-mount cartridges - Technics EPS-310MC, AudioTechnica 8008, and Pickering XSP 3003. I don't have a CD-4 setup, but wish I did. Not sure if any of these would work, but the EPS-310MC seems to have decent enough specs (it's my go-to cartridge). HTH.

- Technics EPS-310MC specs are here. Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 60 kHz, channel separation: 28dB @ 1 kHz
- AudioTechnica 8008 specs are here. Frequency response is 5 - 30 kHz, channel separation: 31dB @ 1 kHz
- Pickering XSP/3003 specs are here. Frequency range is 10 - 30 kHz, channel separation: 35db @ 10 kHz

The AT8008 I can get for about $45 used so that is a possibility.

Well, to make things more confusing, I found a Brand new AT311EP Cart and stylus in my storage still in it's box. I wonder if there is a stylus that will play CD-4 with that.

Caution: Be careful not to cut yourself on the cantilever (especially if it breaks). If you cut yourself on something made of beryllium, the cut will not heal. This happened to an acquaintance who had a set of beryllium bomb-disarming tools he got at an auction.

Caution: Be careful not to cut yourself on the cantilever (especially if it breaks). If you cut yourself on something made of beryllium, the cut will not heal. This happened to an acquaintance who had a set of beryllium bomb-disarming tools he got at an auction.
Beryllium dust is also linked to cancer so don't cut or file it either!

I had some success with the AT330LC. It was a P-mount that comes with a standard adapter. It has a linear contact stylus, and will play CD-4, but it's not as good as my AT440MLa, which is not P-mount. it's no longer made, I found that the stylii didn't last very long, about a year. I have a bunch of them, as I got them at closeout prices. I switched to the AT440MLa when I couldn't get them anymore. They're still fine for stereo. My AT440MLa stylii have lasted a very long time, two of them have lasted about 10 years each, with maybe 6 albums played on weekends. (not all weekends, I have other quad media)

Back