Is Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine just going to be passed by in surround? And why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Beatles, is Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine just going to be passed by in surround? And why?

They've probably done all they're going to do with these two. I guess they're considered more as film projects as opposed to proper stand-alone albums.
Both films have been restored and released on DVD and Bluray with a 5.1 option available for each.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Let It Be with director Peter Jackson being brought in to work up something from 50+ hours of unreleased footage. Plus, I think there are also plans for a restoration of the original film too.

They've probably done all they're going to do with these two. I guess they're considered more as film projects as opposed to proper stand-alone albums.
Both films have been restored and released on DVD and Bluray with a 5.1 option available for each.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Let It Be with director Peter Jackson being brought in to work up something from 50+ hours of unreleased footage. Plus, I think there are also plans for a restoration of the original film too.
Super idea, I forgot about that. I have the BD of Yellow and just bought the BD of MMT for $19.99. I'll rip the audio out of those two discs for the 5.1 music, thank you.

Super idea, I forgot about that. I have the BD of Yellow and just bought the BD of MMT for $19.99. I'll rip the audio out of those two discs for the 5.1 music, thank you.

I've done that. Be prepared to hear some unexpected sounds on a few occasions. They are artifacts of what is actually occurring in the film soundtrack.

Abbey Road has been talked about as a potential Surround Sound candidate for years.
I'm sure that will happen someday.

If it's ever going to happen...which I feel it will...it will be this year...50th anniversary this September....by August I think we will be getting "bread crumbs" and hints of the release...Abbey Road just has too much significance in the Beatle world to not have a 50th release...

Is the MMT BD any good? I love Yellow Sub and like Help! a lot.

The MMT 5.1 soundtrack mix is better than most of the 5.1 stuff on 1+, but it needs a significant boost to the rears on most tracks...at least according to my ears. I Am The Walrus on Love is my preferred 5.1 version of that track.

I've done that. Be prepared to hear some unexpected sounds on a few occasions. They are artifacts of what is actually occurring in the film soundtrack.
That is certainly the case for the Yellow Submarine BRD. As I understand it, the previous DVD release of Yellow Submarine had a "music only" option. I wish they had included that on the BRD as well.

Ah yes, the cancelled Capitol DVD-A that got canned. Oh well, another one in the can we never got.

I thought Elliot offered to remix Abbey Road into 5.1 but NEVER actually did remix it. He stated that Apple/Capitol 'sniffed' at his offer.

See the source image

"THE ROAD NOT TAKEN"

Last edited:
Unfortunately there aren't really any complete songs to rip from MMT that don't have film sounds included. I was very disappointed that they skipped MMT for a surround release but figured they would when Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were included on the Sgt. Pepper release. I think sonically MMT is one of the most interesting of the Beatles albums and would really benefit from surround. Not likely to happen now in my lifetime.

I just ripped the songs from Yellow Submarine Blu Ray Video, a little bit hard to do.
There are (35) 5.1 chapters. Most are the movie itself.
Yellow Submarine, the original album has 6 songs, the blu ray movie has 14 songs, the balance are from Sgt Pepper and some singles?. No point in ripping those as I have better 5.1 versions from the recent Sgt Pepper 5.1 box set.
Chapters for ripping, or saving are 4 Yellow Submarine, 11 All Together Now, 14 Only A Northern Song, 29 All You Need Is Love, 31 Hey Bulldog, 34 It's All Too Much, 35 I included All Together Now (reprise)
Each rip has a few seconds of talking from the movie as they don't isolate the chapter to a pure song only, also there are a few little noises within the song. But if you like to get the best possible 5.1 of Yellow Submarine this is how I did it.
I'm just geeking out today with my hobby, hope you enjoy.
I also did the 5.1 rips of music from concert videos of Supertramp Live In Paris '79 and Pet Shop Boys Inner Sanctum. Next I want to do Cinderella 5.1 video collection and the INXS 5.1 video collection. Being laid up with appendix removal recovery helps, but I have taken two 1/2 hour walks also today.

Is the MMT BD any good? I love Yellow Sub and like Help! a lot.
Not that good IMO. I bought it because I'd never seen it before. I was hoping there might be some songs in surround I could rip to use on a compilation but there weren't. At least not complete songs without film sounds included. Film is pretty silly. The movie Help is pretty bad too but at least it had some songs in surround that could be ripped. A Hard Day's Night and Yellow Submarine still hold up well though.

Jon, how is this the first time I have ever heard of this? The only never got out Capitol DVD-A I knew of is Surf's Up.

It was "close" but never got too far. As I recall, there was a real internal battle between the SACD and DVD-A camp as to what format this would come out as. You can imagine that whatever format a Beatles classic came out on would get a HUGE boost in the "format war". The inside fighting on this one was pretty heavy and actually might have had more to do with it not coming out than anything else.

Similar to the Capitol SACD of DSOTM, that was another battle. Captiol's only SACD, with the warning on the back and all.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/the-beatles-abbey-road-dvd-audio-news.html
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-beatles-again.6449/
EDIT: Added a couple of interesting links

Last edited:
Back