Is Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine just going to be passed by in surround? And why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I'm guessing there must be a discussion of that on here somewhere.

Because the movie was shot inside a television studio, they had to use the same frame rate, and therefore the music had to be slowed down. So all the songs that are playing inside the television studio are slowed down (which is everything but two songs I believe). I find it utterly unlistenable. Another reason the lack of a soundtrack/music only option is mind boggling and makes this release worthless, imho. I've wanted speed it up for the longest time but haven't had a chance to do it... Maybe I should while we're still in lock down :)

I just through watching and ripping Yellow Submarine. The whole movie sounds great in surround. Here is my review, which also goes through the ripping issues. Editing dialog at the beginning and end is no big deal - had to do that with A Hard Day's Night too. Also needed to do some fadeouts at the end of some tracks. The biggest problem is the 15 seconds of dialog on the middle of "All You Need is Love". There's also an explosion in the middle of "Hey Bulldog" which is quite annoying.

Also, the 1999 version of the Yellow Submarine DVD (and maybe the 2012 version as well?) includes an "Isloated music 5.1" option, which plays the entire movie with nothing but music. Not available on later releases. On this version, there's no explosion in the middle of Hey Bulldog and no dialogue in the middle of All You Need is Love either. That said, the surround mixes on the Love album are better than anything else in the Beatles catalogue to date (except a few select songs from the latest two releases of Abbey Road and The White Album).

5.1 mix was completed in 2018, and maybe an atmos mix at the same time? The Beatles' 'Yellow Submarine' Returning to Theaters

I thought I had the 1999 DVD but couldn't find any 'songs-only' option. Turns out it's the 2012 DVD, though all dates listed are 1968 or 1999.

It's All Too Much is the most interesting thing to me included. Such a weird release, in general.

5.1 mix was completed in 2018, and maybe an atmos mix at the same time? The Beatles' 'Yellow Submarine' Returning to Theaters

Yeah this is fabulous news, and I'm not holding my breath, but maybe we'll get a home release? A really important bit in there is that it says both soundtrack and score were mixed in 5.1 this time, so I'm super excited to hear this.

I thought I had the 1999 DVD but couldn't find any 'songs-only' option. Turns out it's the 2012 DVD, though all dates listed are 1968 or 1999.

It's All Too Much is the most interesting thing to me included. Such a weird release, in general.

I thought the 2012 release had it also... Should be under special features.

Also, the 1999 version of the Yellow Submarine DVD (and maybe the 2012 version as well?) includes an "Isloated music 5.1" option, which plays the entire movie with nothing but music. Not available on later releases. On this version, there's no explosion in the middle of Hey Bulldog and no dialogue in the middle of All You Need is Love either. That said, the surround mixes on the Love album are better than anything else in the Beatles catalogue to date (except a few select songs from the latest two releases of Abbey Road and The White Album).
The 2012 has a much better 5.1 than the 1999 IMO, and it doesn't have that feature.

The 2012 has a much better 5.1 than the 1999 IMO, and it doesn't have that feature.

It's a different mix? That's news to me. I thought both releases had the surround mix Giles created for the 1999 release along with the songtrack album. I'll have to track it down and give it a spin...

It's a different mix? That's news to me. I thought both releases had the surround mix Giles created for the 1999 release along with the songtrack album. I'll have to track it down and give it a spin...

Completely different; "the soundtrack and score were remixed in 5.1 stereo surround sound at Abbey Road Studios by mix engineer Peter Cobbin". Lots of discrete mixing to the rear on the 2012 version. Having just listened to both, I think the 1+ versions of the 3 common songs may be the same as the 1999, but both of those are pretty tame in comparison.

There is only 1 5.1 mix of YS. It sounds best on the Blu Ray simply because it's in DTS HDMA on there.
It is more or less the same mixing scheme, but I think placement in the 2012 mix is more discrete than in the 1999 mix. I don't think it's just the better audio resolution - I've never noticed the audio format making that dramatic of a difference. For example, the guitar on Sgt Pepper is clearly coming from the right rear speaker in 2012 mix, while on the 1999 it's just a little louder in the right rear. Also the narration that's goes "We'd love to take you home with us, we'd love to take you home" stays in front on the 1999, but moves to the right rear in the middle on the 2012 - but that's technically part of the film rather than the score I suppose.

Last edited:
We have to remember that all of the Beatles albums except Let It Be were made using only 4-track multitracks, track bouncing, and adding effects in the mixdown. I doubt that there is enough information on any of the master recordings to make a good quad mixdown.

We have to remember that all of the Beatles albums except Let It Be were made using only 4-track multitracks, track bouncing, and adding effects in the mixdown. I doubt that there is enough information on any of the master recordings to make a good quad mixdown.
Actually, they started using 8 track halfway through The White Album. Let It Be and Abbey Road were fully done on 8 track.

Nah, they have everything they need to release everything in fabulous sound and great surround. Just listen to I Want to Hold Your Hand on Love if you need to be convinced. Don't know what they did exactly or how they did it, but it's magnificent. George Martin remixed Rubber Soul and Revolver in the 80s and the difference is huge, there's definitely enough there for those two albums to be remixed properly - you can listen to any of the songs that were released in Surround from those two albums and know it's true, the ones on Yellow Submarine or better yet the ones on Love (Drive my Car brings tears to my eyes every time). Where there's difficulty there's enough solutions available in this day and age for trickery and wizardry to compensate.

It is more or less the same mixing scheme, but I think placement in the 2012 mix is more discrete than in the 1999 mix. I don't think it's just the better audio resolution - I've never noticed the audio format making that dramatic of a difference. For example, the guitar on Sgt Pepper is clearly coming from the right rear speaker in 2012 mix, while on the 1999 it's just a little louder in the right rear. Also the narration that's goes "We'd love to take you home with us, we'd love to take you home" stays in front on the 1999, but moves to the right rear in the middle on the 2012 - but that's technically part of the film rather than the score I suppose.

I've listened to the Blu Ray a couple of times yesterday, and I believe it's the same mix. No doubt the difference in quality is immense, and there's indeed more separation, but I'm convinced it's the format, and maybe a little more balancing. The score is NOT in 5.1, so if what we've been reading about the 2018 release is correct and not just lost in translation, they are most definitely not the same.

That sounds like they could have used the same mix but simply turned the rear channels up a couple db relative to the front channels.

Have you heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the 5.1 "Love " ?

Back