Is Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine just going to be passed by in surround? And why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing might be applicable here: When a movie is made, the tracks are recorded on magnetic film...
I assumed DaveLaPorte53 was citing the 5.1 remixes that were done of all the music for the 1999 DVD release, plus the 5.1 remix of the overall film audio. I think you're talking about the multitracks that come on some feature film prints. However, this film was originally released in mono back in 1968.

Really ?

The album as opposed to the soundtrack?

I must of missed that.

I think he means the movie - that's what I initially presumed this thread was about. They did release the YS soundtrack on CD in 2012. Seems like coulda shoulda done a 5.1 version of that at the same time. But I guess the movie will have to do.

I assumed DaveLaPorte53 was citing the 5.1 remixes that were done of all the music for the 1999 DVD release, plus the 5.1 remix of the overall film audio. I think you're talking about the multitracks that come on some feature film prints. However, this film was originally released in mono back in 1968.

I mean what they used to make the movie. These things were used even on mono movies so the levels of the sound parts could be controlled in the mixdown, not at the time of shooting.

Moviolas are used to make the finished edit. If you have enough film gates you can have several different picture elements and many different sound elements and edit them all together into a finished product.

"6 channels" usually means "5.1", which includes the LFE channel. You were expecting 7.1, something that mix is definitely not.
I played it on a 7.1 system, and those channels I listed are the only ones which sounds came out of ( during the music segments)

I hope not, especially where MMT is concerned. Needs the deluxe treatment on it's own. What an album. Look at side 2 especially, essential.

I agree, it would be great to get a 5.1 release of MMT, but until Apple decide to release one I created my own. MMT the film was released in 5.1, the 1+ release has Hello Goodbye and All You need is Love in 5.1 (It also has SFF and Penny Lane) and SGT P box has SSF and Penny Lane in 5.1. That leaves Baby Your A Rich Man. I ripped the Blu-ray's and created a 5.1 mix from the Stereo remix of Baby Your A Rich Man from the Yellow Submarine Songbook LP (It came out pretty good) and created a DVD-Audio disc for my Acura. Now I have MMT to go along with my Pepper, White, and Abbey Road discs. I also have a Yellow Sub disc created from the 5.1 mixes from the film. When Get Back the movie comes out I am sure it will be in 5.1 and won't be the Phil Spector version like Let It Be Box will. Another potential 5.1 disc in the making.

I agree, it would be great to get a 5.1 release of MMT, but until Apple decide to release one I created my own. MMT the film was released in 5.1, the 1+ release has Hello Goodbye and All You need is Love in 5.1 (It also has SFF and Penny Lane) and SGT P box has SSF and Penny Lane in 5.1. That leaves Baby Your A Rich Man. I ripped the Blu-ray's and created a 5.1 mix from the Stereo remix of Baby Your A Rich Man from the Yellow Submarine Songbook LP (It came out pretty good) and created a DVD-Audio disc for my Acura. Now I have MMT to go along with my Pepper, White, and Abbey Road discs. I also have a Yellow Sub disc created from the 5.1 mixes from the film. When Get Back the movie comes out I am sure it will be in 5.1 and won't be the Phil Spector version like Let It Be Box will. Another potential 5.1 disc in the making.
That's what I've been doing. MMT is the only one of the four movies I haven't done yet. YS is way better than the first two for surround though.

Super idea, I forgot about that. I have the BD of Yellow and just bought the BD of MMT for $19.99. I'll rip the audio out of those two discs for the 5.1 music, thank you.
Rip the audio,great idea mate

i have only seen both movies in the theatre

Do the blurays have the music from the LPs proper,similar to or same as the LPs?

If so i will buy those

Cheers

The Bluray of MMT has the songs from the film (Half the LP). There are a couple of versions on the Blu-ray of some of them. Blue Jay Way has a 24bit 48K version without the cheering at the end, etc. Most of the 2nd half the LP can be found on the 1+ Bluray.

Yellow Submarine has already been released in an 5.1 isolated track on the 1999 DVD release. The sound quality is really clear. It is interesting to listen to these songs and compare some that have been subsequently released remixed by Giles Martin. Not only do you get the instrumental score, the Beatles songs from Yellow Submarine in 5.1 butt you also get Eleanor Rigby, When I'm 64, LITSWD, Sgt Pepper' & All you need is Love. The booklet shows WaLHFMF but that is a serious excerpt in the film.

This will help you appreciate The Beatles #1's 5.1, & Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band mixes by Giles comparing the technique and approach. They are extremely dynamic and sound great. This mix is clean, clear and mostly a 3 channel mix @ 48Hz/ 448Kpbs but in a different way. When I'm 64, Nowhere Man, LITSWD, SPLHCB & AYNIL are 3 channel mixes where the instruments are L & R, vocals in the C with slight surround. The exceptions are Eleanor Rigby with vocals/violins also in the surround, Hey Bulldog with the vocals in the L & R and bass, drums in the C. This is so interesting to compare. I didn't expect 5.1 mixes could be so different. But this truly helps me appreciate a great engineer & their mix. 2020-06-21 15.08.42.jpg I wonder if George Martin was involved in the 1999 release and helped remix it!?! These DVD's sell cheap and are worth picking up. UPC 027616750822. Use my post on searching UPC to help. This forum rocks!!!

Attachments

• 2020-06-21 15.09.19.jpg
    2020-06-21 15.09.19.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 346
  • 2020-06-21 15.08.59.jpg
    2020-06-21 15.08.59.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 360
I just listened to All Together Now again and it is my favorite mix with Paul isolated in C, John, George, Ringo in L & R and then the clapping singing moves to the surround when they start., Wow. That totally takes a great Beatles track and solidifies it as an underestimated gem. I will play it again after this. The only thing I didn't mention is the songs have their own tracks by the booklet but they don't always start right away with some silence. I forgive this since it is a legitimate 5.1 isolated score.

Back