Is Mark Waldrep (AIX) About To Hang Up His Microphones ???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sal1950

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In this weeks blog Mark posted this statement with no further explanation or statements,
https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=7027
"Another low key, sunny, summer Sunday in Southern California. I’d been attempting to repair one of my two PCs and was making progress until I accidentally blew up the power supply — operator error. Don’t try to plug in a hard drive while the machine is running! I don’t know whether to abandon the effort or order a new power supply and forge ahead. There’s really no reason to fix it. I used it to author Blu-rays and do some audio processing. It’s unlikely that AIX Records will release another Blu-ray disc — or any new titles so no big loss."

I may have missed him saying more in a earlier blog or two but don't remember anything. I have posted a question to him there and hope to hear more on the situation. Below is the question I posted, it is awaiting moderation. Maybe tomorrow or next well get answer, I hope so. This is sad.

"It’s unlikely that AIX Records will release another Blu-ray disc — or any new titles so no big loss."
Say it ain't so, Joe?
Sorry Mark, maybe I missed reading a couple of you blogs but hadn't heard anything like this before that I remember. It's extremely sad that we should lose a member of the multich recording industry like this, it's grown too small already.
Would you mind sharing the circumstances and if there is anything we can do to help?
Sal1950

In this weeks blog Mark posted this statement with no further explanation or statements,
https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=7027
"Another low key, sunny, summer Sunday in Southern California. I’d been attempting to repair one of my two PCs and was making progress until I accidentally blew up the power supply — operator error. Don’t try to plug in a hard drive while the machine is running! I don’t know whether to abandon the effort or order a new power supply and forge ahead. There’s really no reason to fix it. I used it to author Blu-rays and do some audio processing. It’s unlikely that AIX Records will release another Blu-ray disc — or any new titles so no big loss."

I may have missed him saying more in a earlier blog or two but don't remember anything. I have posted a question to him there and hope to hear more on the situation. Below is the question I posted, it is awaiting moderation. Maybe tomorrow or next well get answer, I hope so. This is sad.

"It’s unlikely that AIX Records will release another Blu-ray disc — or any new titles so no big loss."
Say it ain't so, Joe?
Sorry Mark, maybe I missed reading a couple of you blogs but hadn't heard anything like this before that I remember. It's extremely sad that we should lose a member of the multich recording industry like this, it's grown too small already.
Would you mind sharing the circumstances and if there is anything we can do to help?
Sal1950

Mark (@Dr. AIX ) hasn't been seen here in a while. Maybe he could be persuaded to drop in and elaborate?

To all QQ members. I apologize for not making this forum a regular stop in my online viewing. I do read the digest every morning but have been pretty busy with the AES paper and preparing videos for my "virtual" university responsibilities. Here are a few notable news items that may be of interest:

1. I launched a Kickstarter campaign last week for my second book. It's titled, A User Guide to Streaming, Downloads, and Personal Audio and is focused on these new developments INCLUDING how surround sound is being addressed in streamers and headphones. I would be very grateful if members would back this project at A User Guide to Streaming, Downloads, and Personal Audio. There are even rewards that include steep discounts on AIX Records album downloads...in 5.1 surround! See the bottom of this post for a special members only incentive.

SDPA-Main-Image-KS-Alt2.jpg

2. The administrators at the fall 2020 AES Convention accepted my presentation proposal titled "Native High-Resolution versus Red Book Standard Audio: A Perceptual Discrimination Survey." I spent over a year surveying audiophiles and music consumers to determine whether hi-res audio is a meaningful, perceptible improvement over Red Book CDs or whether it is a marketing ploy. Almost 500 participants submitted results, and the analysis shows the ability to select the hi-res version is no better than tossing a coin. Not really a big surprise. And this was with native hi-res recordings from my catalog. The convention happens in a couple of weeks. The entire paper will be available after that. If anyone would like to participate in the HD-Audio Challenge II, you can sign up at: http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6713

3. Yes, it's true. It is highly unlikely that AIX Records will be releasing any new recordings. As hard as it is to admit, I'm getting close to 70 years old, have had more than a few health issues, and have become a landlord rather than a tenant in my studios. It's time to slow down a little and concentrate on other aspects of life — like learning to fly gliders! I recorded and produced over 80 hi-res, surround recordings and released them on DVD and BD discs and as downloads. Some won awards and the entire catalog is highly regarding among audiophiles. Just the other day I received this email from new customer:

Mark I am blown away!!!! I got your BR sampler yesterday and have played it non stop for 2 days in my media room inviting anyone that wants to listen to 5.1 soundtracks in 24/96. True THX reproduction. Some of the tracks make me weak in the knees. I was going to bring it to a local movie theater and play it and get some sales for you. Is that OK? As you know people pass judgment on Audio when they have never listened to real DVDHD and Blueray 24/96 in full THX is is stunning and my jaw and tongue are still dirty from licking the floor. Great Compilation of some of your best work Very much appreciated. You have been and always will be my reference standard until someones Tops your Skills. The imaging in 5.1 is breath taking. I will pass the word. Cheers and thanks for making me realize what an Audiophile should be!!

It's awfully nice to receive comments like that! The sampler is a great way to get familiar with our catalog and approach to surround mixing. You can check it out here: AIX Records – Ultra HD-Audio 2017

As an incentive to any QQ member that backs the new book, I'll send you the HD-Audio sampler free of charge — a $25 value!

Thanks for the bandwidth. Any help you can provide in promoting the new book and the KS campaign, would be very much appreciated. And I'll be monitoring this post and provide answers to any questions.

Thanks,

Dr. AIX

Yes, it's true. It is highly unlikely that AIX Records will be releasing any new recordings.
That is really sad but I fully understand. I turned 70 this year and now focus on doing things that bring me the most enjoyment, specially since my back issues have all but ended my 60 some years as an avid motorcyclist and most things that require a certain level of physical condition.
Hope you'll keep your catalog of recordings available as long as inventory lasts and maybe in multich download form also. Best of luck with the new book, I keep your first one on the living room coffee table for reference.
Thanks so much for responding, and for your fantastic contribution to recorded music!
Sal

As an incentive to any QQ member that backs the new book, I'll send you the HD-Audio sampler free of charge — a $25 value!

Thanks for the bandwidth. Any help you can provide in promoting the new book and the KS campaign, would be very much appreciated. And I'll be monitoring this post and provide answers to any questions.

Mark, I signed up to back your book (#58) before you posted your generous sampler offer. Could you toss me a copy? I’d like to add it to my AIX collection!

Bob

I'll make sure every QQ member that signs up for the new book gets the sampler. Most likely, I'll have other incentives as we get closer to the goal. Please help spread the word. All AIX Records surround albums are available as downloads right now at iTrax.com. You can get the tracks in WAV or FLAC format and three different mixes. The plan is to get all of the albums that were on the original iTrax site uploaded and available. I have recently added several of the Zenph Re-Performances including the Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations.

Just downloaded the Albert Lee 5.1 stage mix (y):) I missed him playing a while ago in a small theatre (about 300 max.) in the nearest town to me, I was out the country on business when the gig was announced, and it had sold out by the time I found out.

All AIX Records surround albums are available as downloads right now at iTrax.com. You can get the tracks in WAV or FLAC format and three different mixes.
Mark (if your listening) I appreciate the $22.98 price saving for one type file over the BD. But for those who might want more than one wouldn't it be possible to have a option to charge a bit more and then be able to download all the mix types that are on the BD? As it stands, to get the whole BD worth of mixes could end up well over $200. :eek:
TIA,
Sal

Sal, it is difficult to price out individual albums as downloads when there are multiple mixes on each disc. The cheapest option is to purchase the disc. You get all of the mixes, videos, and bonus features. I find that most people - especially this group - will prefer one or the other 5.1 surround mixes. I prefer the 'stage" mixes myself. I don't think you can get to $200. There are only three mixes on each disc, If members of this group are curious about the mixes, there are plenty of free download available to compare them. If anyone really needs multiples, I can create a coupon for you.

Sal, it is difficult to price out individual albums as downloads when there are multiple mixes on each disc. The cheapest option is to purchase the disc. You get all of the mixes, videos, and bonus features. I find that most people - especially this group - will prefer one or the other 5.1 surround mixes. I prefer the 'stage" mixes myself. I don't think you can get to $200. There are only three mixes on each disc, If members of this group are curious about the mixes, there are plenty of free download available to compare them. If anyone really needs multiples, I can create a coupon for you.
OK Mark, understood and really appreciate your response.
Enjoy your semi-retirement, I'm enjoying mine tremendously! :)
Cent' Anni

Back