Is Music Evil?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber 1

701 Club - QQ All-Star
So as we all know the world of music was in a strange way in the mid 80's with Al's wife Tipper out to cleanse the minds of the youth of the day and finding out Frank and even Twisted Sister weren't as dumb as they may have wished. Why do I bring this up? well given the current goings on it's somewhat interesting to look back at some past things in the world of music.
One such thing was the raid and trampling of rights on certain bands. One case in point is the Frankenchrist album which I have the first state version with poster and hype sticker. While cruising the net I came across the insert added after the albums were no longer including the poster.
Interesting to note that Van Halen and Rush were far more scary and evil then I had imagined, Who knew? :rolleyes:

frankenchrist_lp_us_insert2.jpg

Last edited:
Having lived within a half hour of all those Bay Area towns, I don't remember any of this. I do remember Tipper Gore of course. My first reaction is the police could have cared less and a good way for them to get 50 cents.
No, music is not evil.
Aside from all of the above you have a real great piece of memorabilia.

Holy crap! I just google'd the poster. Check it out if you dare.

I was going to post the link, but you're better off goggle'ing it yourself. There's a wiki for it.

:eek::unsure::oops:

PS - I have no issue with the poster or the album or the group. I don't think anything should be censored anywhere, but I just don't personally want to be the one that posts that graphic, especially since I am no longer responsible for what is posted here. IOW - I don't want to get banned - like Snood! :)

And of course before that was the long haired Beatles, the gyrating hips of Elvis, the refer smoking Jazz musicians ... It seems from that perspective every generation continues to perpetuate the persecution of musical genres that have followed in the wake of their own rebellious music.

The bust broke up the band, caused the old man who ran the pressing plant to lose his business and a bunch of other fallout I can no longer remember.

The trial ended in a hung jury and the judge dismissed the case.

Years (decades?) later, the prosecutor admitted that he never should have done any of it.

285: Know Your Enemy - This American Life (scroll down to Act Two). It's a fairly quick and fascinating read for those of us old enough to remember the case.

And of course before that was the long haired Beatles, the gyrating hips of Elvis, the refer smoking Jazz musicians ... It seems from that perspective every generation continues to perpetuate the persecution of musical genres that have followed in the wake of their own rebellious music.

A lot of people my age still can't forgive rap/hip-hop for merely existing. I'm not much of a fan but in a sense the genre would arguably not be doing its job if I were.

Holy crap! I just google'd the poster. Check it out if you dare.

I was going to post the link, but you're better off goggle'ing it yourself. There's a wiki for it.

:eek::unsure::oops:

PS - I have no issue with the poster or the album or the group. I don't think anything should be censored anywhere, but I just don't personally want to be the one that posts that graphic, especially since I am no longer responsible for what is posted here. IOW - I don't want to get banned - like Snood! :)

Ya I was thinking of posting the link to the poster but decided to let each person find it if they wanted too.

but here is some of HR's other works

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-most-unforgettable-creations-of-h-r-giger-1576157799

Wow that was the mid-80s! We had the Oz magazine trials in the late 60s over here in the UK, a judge forced the authors/editors to have a hair cut, of course somebody brought a copy of the banned mag into school. In the late 70s we had the outrage with the Sex Pistols "God Save The Queen" & punk, and the Life Of Brian got banned from a lot of cinemas in 1979/80. Now they're all mainstream! :ROFLMAO:

Apparently there was this meeting between record industry executives and prison industry executives and pushing the urban gangster narrative in hiphop was done for profit. I'd call that evil.

I thought that PMRC business was a huge missed opportunity. They were playing Led Zeppelin and Twisted Sister albums backwards and playing make believe. Someone should have reversed that and "uncovered" backwards satanic messages in all their gospel albums! Such a missed opportunity for fun there!

And what the hell is this?!
IMG_20200601_112829789.jpg

Slightly on topic. I've hung out with Jello a couple times, as he is a good friend of Bob Ferbrache.
The first time he came with Bob to a show I was playing. The three of us were talking about normal band stuff and he said something about bands he had been in. I didn't recognize him (my fault, as his voice is very recognizable), and said "oh, what band were you in?" He seemed offended, and said "oh, a little band called Lard." Bob looked at me like "c'mon man" and then I realized it was Jello. He was super nice the rest of the night.
A little later Ian Cooke band played a show at the Fox Theater in Boulder, really nice place. Our fantastic drummer then, Sean, was playing on a Roland electronic drum kit. Right after our set ended Jello came to the front of the stage, motioned to Sean, and said "man that was incredible, you are incredible. Don't ever play those fucking electronic drums ever again."
Sean knew exactly who he was and just smiled, laughed, and thanked him....and never played them again. Haha!
Slim Cessna's Auto Club was on Alternative Tentacles for years and left the label right before I joined. Not for evil reasons, just boring money stuff. :)

There is footage online of the Jello/Tipper episode of Oprah.

Evil ?? Well yes, if done properly.
Think of Paganinni waving his wand over ' the Devils trill' and upsetting the Pope and his mates. Well known homosexual Tchaikovsky writing those subversive symphonies and concertos.
Debussy tripping daisies on imported tea. Nazi influencer and close personal friend of Ludwig the Second,( the boy knew how to party!) Richard Wagner.
Mrs Mills -daughter of the devil himself.
Oh - and Black Sabbath. (Nah, not really - those girls chickened out and renounced the Cloven Hoofed One. Sheesh, one satanic apparition at the foot of your bed and we're out of here)

Yes, the Devil has the best tunes. He just could not sing without auto-tune. ( Looking at you Cher!)

There is footage online of the Jello/Tipper episode of Oprah.

There was a short-lived show in the 1980s called "The Rock and Roll Evening News". Jello went on there one night and squared off with one of Tipper's constipated minions, who accused him of taking the PMRC's blabbing points "out of content [sic]." So he reached into his jacket, pulled out their pamphlet and showed that he was doing no such thing. It was a great moment that sadly does not appear to be on YouTube. I know I have it on VHS somewhere but I haven't turned on a VCR in so long that I'm afraid of eaten tapes.

I think the actual moment came when he talked about all the things the PMRC insisted were "Satanic", which included frogs. He asked if that meant Kermit had to go...

Back