Is Oppo Firmware Rollback Possible?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not secret knowledge, but quicksrt had apparently heard that a 105 could not rip SACDs. Again, not part of my experience, just reading.
Yes, I did read that, and it is false info.
Hearsay. Do we know who said it to quicksrt and on what basis?
What happend is that I got it all setup, and got the 105D player to open its drawer with the thumb drive, I got it to ping from my PC, and got everything going except when I hit the extract or rip button I got nothing. So I researched around a lot and came up with claims that the latest firmware voided the ability to rip SACD on this player. This was false info apparently, and now I am going to give it another go.

I (also) later read that simple things like rebooting the Oppo and clearing up things, or making sure factory defaults on the player are reset helps a lot.

Something clearly went wrong for me with it. But from what I (later) read that happens at first to many folks attempting this. It is simple to rip SACDs but not that simple to get it started.

But anyway, the basic story is that I read incorrect info, and that the truth is said to be that there is not a late firmware revision that voids the ripping ability of an Oppo 105D.

Last edited:
I've read of folks having the same thing happen, all set up and nothing when they tried to rip. Some of them used a different thumb drive and bingo, it worked!

I was using an exFAT formatted thumb drive which is said to be the same as FAT32. Maybe that was my mistake? Does it have to be FAT32, and not exFAT?

I am definitely using a different thumb drive on my next effort. Something was preventing me from a rip after every other thing looked fine.

Last edited:
I was using an exFAT formatted thumb drive which is said to be the same as FAT32. Maybe that was my mistake? Does it have to be FAT32, and not exFAT?
Hmmm...

Just-so-you-know. Although the OPPO BDP-10x players support exFAT, the exFAT file system works very differently to FAT32.

Personally, I store the 'AutoScript' folder/files on a very, very, very small capacity (512MB) USB flash-drive, using the FAT file system. Technically, any flash-drive 4GB or below should work fine ;)

EDIT: With regard to USB flash-drives. Back in the day (when I used to test many different makes and models of hardware media players), a 4GB or less USB flash-drive was preferred so it wouldn't exceed the FAT32 file size limit. Also, many larger flash-drives contain hidden partitions which can confuse some devices during booting.

Last edited:
I've read of folks having the same thing happen, all set up and nothing when they tried to rip. Some of them used a different thumb drive and bingo, it worked!

I am definitely using a different thumb drive on my next effort. Something was preventing jme from a rip after every other thing looked fine.
Undoubtedly off-topic, but I had a corrupted thumb drive practically brick my 105. I removed it, reformatted it, put the same material back on it, and everything is fine again.

Hmmm...

Just-so-you-know. Although the OPPO BDP-10x players support exFAT, the exFAT file system works very differently to FAT32.

Personally, I store the 'AutoScript' folder/files on a very, very, very small capacity (512MB) USB flash drive, using the FAT file system. Technically, any flash-drive 4GB or below should work fine ;)
Really appreciate the tips on what works for you. I am reading that thumb drives above 4Gbs work just fine. And that success with exFAT has been (consistently enough) accomplished with the Oppos but perhaps not the Sony player models. The tiny (4GB) flash drives are not required. But I must try different ones because in the long thread I read some folks tried three different drives before hitting the jackpot. So some thumb drives simply did not work for them even when they did everything exactly the same with each. I felt that since the drawer opened on the Oppo 105D, and the unit pinged from the PC when instructed, the thumb drive could not be faulted.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/page/10/#comments

Back