Is there a poll for the Mehta/Boulez "Rite of Spring/Firebird" DV SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal feeling is that there aren't enough people here who would vote/comment in classical poll threads for it to be worthwhile creating one for every classical title, especially with the massive backlog we have of pop 5.1 and quad titles to do. Obviously if @rtbluray or @timbre4 have the motivation to do these (like they have with some of the more mainstream ones, like the Boulez Concerto for Orchestra, etc) I'm sure they will, but what I would suggest is contributing reviews to the Classical Music General Discussion Thread, perhaps with the full title of the album and catalog number, so anyone who searches the forum can find them.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-classical-music-general-discussion-thread.25804/

Well, for the record, I'd give both D~V QUAD SACDs a HUGE 10.
They're both really good. The Bernstein is more interesting and the quad mix more discrete. Mehta has great playing and a real powerhouse conception of the piece - and better sonics. But nothing from the quad era is going to touch something like Ivan Fischer's recording in terms of fidelity, and the playing there is phenomenal too. But to my mind they're all necessary.

51YFqwEd77L.jpg

They're both really good. The Bernstein is more interesting and the quad mix more discrete. Mehta has great playing and a real powerhouse conception of the piece - and better sonics. But nothing from the quad era is going to touch something like Ivan Fischer's recording in terms of fidelity, and the playing there is phenomenal too. But to my mind they're all necessary.

51YFqwEd77L.jpg
I just purchase this from amazon for $23 AUD ($16USD) . . . what a steal :)

I just got this SACD. I've only listened to "The Firebird." so far. I'm used to classical surround mixes having only ambiance in the rears to try and simulate what it would be like to be in the audience. I have to admit I'm not crazy about having the strings in the rear and the brass and woodwinds in the fronts. This kind of mix works for me for rock and pop albums, but not so much for orchestral albums. And I think I'm hearing a lot of extraneous noise in the rears, like the string players are accidentally hitting their stands with their bows or something. Anyone else hear this?

I just got this SACD. I've only listened to "The Firebird." so far. I'm used to classical surround mixes having only ambiance in the rears to try and simulate what it would be like to be in the audience. I have to admit I'm not crazy about having the strings in the rear and the brass and woodwinds in the fronts. This kind of mix works for me for rock and pop albums, but not so much for orchestral albums. And I think I'm hearing a lot of extraneous noise in the rears, like the string players are accidentally hitting their stands with their bows or something. Anyone else hear this?
Yup, heard the same thing. Very noticeable in the first few minutes, much less as the piece goes on, I think.

I give the Boulez/Mehta a 8 for bad reasons. The recording is superb, the interpretation surgical.
But really I have to fight every moment as the instrument placement in the field makes no sense to me. Being in the middle of the orchestra, I get. Being in the conductor's place, I get. But there I can't find a reason why double basses are indeed where I expect them, but cymbals far left. Woodwinds are scattered, and harp is also far left. I can't help it, it bugs me, and distracts me from the music. One would expect basses, cellos, violas, 2nd violins and 1st violins to unfold but no, they are scattered with no reason I can get. Maybe it is OCD, but it keeps me away. Yet it is a great album, I hope I'll get to term with the field placement.

Back