Is there an external piece of equip that i can attach to any stereo receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very new to quad/4 chan. I have a few vety good 70s stereo receivers. I mostly stream 2 channel from my android phone. Id like a piece of equip that i can add to my system that will synthesize sourround/4channel sound out of 4 speakers . That is AS GOOD as the Sansui qrx x001 series. I have a qs 500 rear amp but want better separation in 4 chan ? Ive heard of SM v2 an v3. Do i need a rear amp for any add on piece ? Thanks for any help

Very new to quad/4 chan. I have a few vety good 70s stereo receivers. I mostly stream 2 channel from my android phone. Id like a piece of equip that i can add to my system that will synthesize sourround/4channel sound out of 4 speakers . That is AS GOOD as the Sansui qrx x001 series. I have a qs 500 rear amp but want better separation in 4 chan ? Ive heard of SM v2 an v3. Do i need a rear amp for any add on piece ? Thanks for any help
In the quad days there were a number of add-on units for stereo receivers that included rear channels amplification. I know of no such modern version. Better count on acquiring rear channels amp as well.

You can do what I do: use a Surroundmaster feeding 2x stereo amps. I grabbed an unused stereo & use it for the rear channels. Works great!

For regular 2 channel stereo I just use the fronts. And for discrete quad I feed the 4 channels from a PC with an audio interface.

Last edited:
Hey there kpm!
@Electric Moo is right you should be able to use the Sansui QS500B this way since it has it's own built in rear ch amps. But with stereo front amps, QS500 for the rear, I visualize this as a set prone to confusion & error prone in use.

Do remember that the Surround Master v2 is analog in/analog out only while the v3 is analog/optical digital in/analog out only. Use that as a starting point. The SM is an excellent decoder the one & only criticism I have of it is it does not have a dedicated wrap around surround synthesis like the Sansui units do. You will have to decide how important that is to you. It will most certainly out perform the QS500 regarding surround separation.

A while back I posted a note that I think applies to your situation. Check it out:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/quad-the-middle-ground.28708/

Back