Is this Deep Purple Stormbringer Quad a fake?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you're asking?

Sorry. I might have put this in the wrong section.
Basically, is it legit? I know there was a lot of talk about this particular album not being done in SQ format but in CD4 I think.
Wikipedia suggests it was done on Quad Reel to Reel as well.
If it is fake, the seller has gone to a lot of trouble.

IIRC , this is is the Quad mix, but as a "fold down to STEREO" , so , if you want the REAL QUAD mix ,
This is the one to get! ..(click on this sentence to get there)

R-1759400-1241555549.jpeg.jpg

R-1759400-1241555538.jpeg.jpg

Right now, it's a steal..(reminder: Discogs is one of your best friends!)

Cheers!

Looks dubious..

It does imply that its a SQ encoded CD tho..
Capture.JPG

Looks dubious..

It does imply that its a SQ encoded CD tho..
View attachment 27831

I say that it is a fake. It might be SQ-encoded, but "Distributed by SQ Company" and "Released by ... Famous Record Company" sounds like Chinglish for 'we try real hard to make look legitimate item'. I have a few of these 'quad' CDs that I bought from eBay several years ago, and they are not bad ... but they are likely just needle-drops of SQ LPs. Like kap'n krunch says ... get the official multichannel release. I have it, and it is pretty good. Having said that, Stormbringer isn't one of Deep Purple's best ... but not their worst either.

Sorry. I might have put this in the wrong section.
Basically, is it legit? I know there was a lot of talk about this particular album not being done in SQ format but in CD4 I think.
Wikipedia suggests it was done on Quad Reel to Reel as well.
If it is fake, the seller has gone to a lot of trouble.

Deep Purple issued Machine Head as CD-4 quad LPs in North American, but SQ in Europe. It could be the same with Stormbringer, but I am not sure.

The seller isn't the one who went 'to a lot of trouble', but somebody in China did (several years ago) ... to take advantage of the resurgence of quad on eBay at the time.

Deep Purple issued Machine Head as CD-4 quad LPs in North American, but SQ in Europe. It could be the same with Stormbringer, but I am not sure.

The seller isn't the one who went 'to a lot of trouble', but somebody in China did (several years ago) ... to take advantage of the resurgence of quad on eBay at the time.

Stormbringer was released as a quad in USA only, as Quad reel, Quad 8 track and CD4. No SQ release known.
Machine Head was in USA as Quad reel, Quad 8 track and CD4, in Europe as Quad 8 track and SQ, but USA and Europe featured different mixes.
Digital releases for Machine Head has the first USA Dvd-Audio with a brand-new 5.1 mix, much later repressed as a SACD in Japan only; Europe has a SACD with the original european quad mix. The USA quad mix has not yet a official digital release.
Plenty of infos on this topic on past threads.

Stormbringer was released as a quad in USA only, as Quad reel, Quad 8 track and CD4. No SQ release known.
Machine Head was in USA as Quad reel, Quad 8 track and CD4, in Europe as Quad 8 track and SQ, but USA and Europe featured different mixes.
Digital releases for Machine Head has the first USA Dvd-Audio with a brand-new 5.1 mix, much later repressed as a SACD in Japan only; Europe has a SACD with the original european quad mix. The USA quad mix has not yet a official digital release.

I stand corrected. I was going from memory. I have little interest in past threads. Most just deteriorate into silly puns, cryptic jargon, and mindless nattering.

Hah! It looks like I goofed on that too. Rhino reissued this as a 2-CD set that includes the quadraphonic mixes on disc 2. So, I bought a copy from Bullmoose Music without realizing it was never released in a matrix format (according to the Mark Anderson discography). I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (too many releases!), but I'll double check the liner notes to see what it says. The Rhino reissue is legit, but it just may not be 4-channel.

Hah! It looks like I goofed on that too. Rhino reissued this as a 2-CD set that includes the quadraphonic mixes on disc 2. So, I bought a copy from Bullmoose Music without realizing it was never released in a matrix format (according to the Mark Anderson discography). I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (too many releases!), but I'll double check the liner notes to see what it says. The Rhino reissue is legit, but it just may not be 4-channel.

I've searched now for it and is a stereo downmix of the quad. :(

I stand corrected. I was going from memory. I have little interest in past threads. Most just deteriorate into silly puns, cryptic jargon, and mindless nattering.

I'm going from memory too... and usually are my brain cells that deteriorate...;)

STORMBRINGER was released as a Discrete Quad recording (Q8.Q4, CD-4) only as you have stated. That SQ indicater is most bogus in that it states "Trade Mark of SQ " which is very reminiscent of the prolific "Trade Mark Of Quality " Live Bootlegs from the 70's . Most of those TMQ discs were also indicated as quad, Sansui encoded and consisted of for the most part live Quadcast's (bootlegs) from KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR shows .

That being said it is remotely and I emphasize REMOTE, that an encoded Warner disc could have been made via WB in South America. (Brazil, Argentina, etc.)
But my understanding is they made some quad discs there, however never utilized SQ but QS .

Now given the time frame, the mass of internet quad info, and legimate discoveries that have been "vetted " by Quadraphiles Worldwide, I would conclude this disc did not receive an encode regardless of any possibilities previously mentioned.

I just had to include my 2 cents mainly because I have that dvd/cd edition of Stormbringer and I had memories of South American Quads (encoded QS) from something I read either on QQ or a related site.
And my set (cd/dvd) hails from "Argentina" ???
How on earth my local vendor got that S. American edition, mystifies me. :rolleyes:

When I went back and looked through the liner notes and copyright dates, it does indeed seem that the 4-channel master was just recently mixed down to a new 2-channel version. A real pitty, because while they were there they could have carried over the 4-channel discrete version to a discrete optical disc in one format or another. But, then again they never released a 4-channel discrete version of Machine Head either, only the preserved matrix encoded version.

When I went back and looked through the liner notes and copyright dates, it does indeed seem that the 4-channel master was just recently mixed down to a new 2-channel version. A real pitty, because while they were there they could have carried over the 4-channel discrete version to a discrete optical disc in one format or another. But, then again they never released a 4-channel discrete version of Machine Head either, only the preserved matrix encoded version.

The UK Quad mix of Machine Head has been reissued twice officially in discrete form, first on MultiCh SACD in 2003 and again for the 40th anniversary in 2012 in a boxed set on DVD-Video (DTS 96/24).

Ahh... that albums been released in so many surround formats that I get turned around. But, I thought the SACDs were in 5.1 only (as the Warner Japan version I have is). I forgot/didn't realize the boxed set was the SQ encoded mix and discrete mix. I stand corrected on both then!

I just had to include my 2 cents mainly because I have that dvd/cd edition of Stormbringer and I had memories of South American Quads (encoded QS) from something I read either on QQ or a related site.
And my set (cd/dvd) hails from "Argentina" ???
How on earth my local vendor got that S. American edition, mystifies me. :rolleyes:

Well, AFAIK, my Julieta Venegas "Limón y Sal" MCH DD DVD-V is a legit Argentinian pressing, and it's the only one you'll be able to find , cause I'm guessing they pressed more copies than US/Mexico...

The "Argentinos" are quite enthusiastic about music overall. They have excellent taste in foreign acts (they LOOOVE their KCrimson) and their own Pop/Rock culture has a VERY high standard (Charlie García, Soda Stereo, Andrés Calamaro, etc).

Well, AFAIK, my Julieta Venegas "Limón y Sal" MCH DD DVD-V is a legit Argentinian pressing, and it's the only one you'll be able to find , cause I'm guessing they pressed more copies than US/Mexico...

The "Argentinos" are quite enthusiastic about music overall. They have excellent taste in foreign acts (they LOOOVE their KCrimson) and their own Pop/Rock culture has a VERY high standard (Charlie García, Soda Stereo, Andrés Calamaro, etc).

There was also a DualDisc release (5.1 DVD-V) of Julieta Venegas' "Limón y Sal" in addition to the CD + 5.1 DVD-V set you have kap (so two chances to get it in surround! :D )

Back