Is this legit? 'Monkey Grip' quad on CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I recall, Sequel is a reissue label. So, it's probably not a boot/counterfeit. As to the cover, it is probably all they had to use.

Can you decode it? No, even if you have all the Quad decoders ever made. It was a CD-4 LP, which would require a special phono cartridge (for the LP), low capacitance cables, and a CD-4 demodulator. Compact Disc format is INCAPABLE of storing the high frequencies & carrier of CD-4 (compatible discrete 4 channel LP.)

I have a legitimate RCA Spain CD from the late '90's of Mancini/Severinsen Brass, Ivory & Strings which is marked as "Quadradisc," another name for CD-4 LP's. It is only stereo. This is not to be confused with the Quad reissue on Vocalion/Dutton multichannel SACD of the same title, WHICH IS the Quad mix.

I remember when that came out. It's a CD with the Quadradisc cover art, which they modified to remove the Quadradisc Logo, but the art guy didn't know what the CD-4 QUADRADISC banner at the top meant, so he left it. (S)He probably thought it was part of the original cover art.

monkeygrip.jpg

This album, quad or not, was never a highlight, quad or stereo - to me anyway.

Last edited:
So it's a legitimate release? I was thinking some enterprising individual did a stereo needle-drop of the CD-4 LP and made nice cover art for it.

Some stereo collectors are interested in CD-4 albums for perceived higher fidelity (when played back in stereo) or for mix differences (extra screams in Alice Cooper's "Unfinished Sweet", missing telephone call effect in Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", etc).

So it's a legitimate release? I was thinking some enterprising individual did a stereo needle-drop of the CD-4 LP and made nice cover art for it.

Yes, legit. Castle Communication UK is a reissue label, by its own name brand (early cd era) or also with other acquired labels (Sequel, for example, in this case)

... Played it once, and didn't review it. Guess that says it all.

The original LP immediately went into cutouts, so I got it cheap, much the same experience.
Still on my shelf, a reminder of the weird vain showbiz system that produced such junk.

I remember when that came out. It's a CD with the Quadradisc cover art, which they modified to remove the Quadradisc Logo, but the art guy didn't know what the CD-4 QUADRADISC banner at the top meant, so he left it. (S)He probably thought it was part of the original cover art.

View attachment 42903

The Rolling Stones are living proof that even ugly guys can get chicks. :sick:

Back