Is your local audio / HiFi dealers stuck in 2-channel music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what distortion level they set that SPL max at?
As we know, you can't change the laws of physics, there's only so much you can
do with a tiny speaker like this. Not my cup of tea at all, besides I find them majorly
fugly.

There's a lot of reviews out there, not all positive at all
And the price for what it is! o_O ???
Have you heard this active system? If I wanted to buy two subs that go that low, speakers, amps, media player I sure I can find something cheaper? I think the two subs would be $1,500-$2,000 but two Kef 6" dual active woofers is almost $4k.

Have you heard this active system?
Nope, just questing their spec's.
I poked around on the website and couldn't find anyplace that will even reveal the size of the included drivers? A breakdown picture at StereoNET shows 2 small side mounted woofers and front mounted tweeter. As @gene_stl mentioned earlier, "back in the day we used to say. Big Box= Big Bass and small box = small bass. The laws of physics have not changed."
I'm sure at modest levels they may sound quite nice, but not my cup of tea I'm sure.
YMMV

push_engeneering_2x__large_full.jpg

Specs are one thing, experience is another. These are not for me however these speakers defy what we perceive hence why I shared them. They are revolutionary. They won a lot of design awards.

edited addition:
Laws of physics dont change. They have two sub drivers per speaker and move vast volumes of air and play loud. Makes me wonder what the future hold.

Last edited:
One of the problems I have with today's audio systems is the unreasonable and outrageous prices charged for things. In the end it's just a nice high quality amazing record player.

In 1977 I built my own speakers. I spent about $6,000 actual USA dollars on the speakers , not including four amps to drive them and an electronic crossover.
Everything was bought wholesale and salesman accomodation. But I am still very guilty of spending a foolish amount on it.

But we have entered a new era. If I needed to replace my system I would STILL build it myself. One has to be really careful about what equipment one buys.
jmo ymmv

They have two sub drivers per speaker and move vast volumes of air and play loud.
How do they do that? There are only 2 ways for a speaker to move air.
The size of the driver.
Theirs look to be very small, hence maybe why marketing is hiding the actual size?
The excursion of the driver.
What do you think the excursion is for these drivers, 2" or maybe 3" ?
No matter how much power you have, at some real point you either blow the voicecoil out
of any reasonable linear portion of the magnet structure or blow it out of it's suspension.
I've heard it all before, unreasonable performace claims. Have them send one to Amir at ASR or Gene at Audioholics. Lets put em on the bench and see how much balls they really have.

On closer examination the entire speaker is said to be 160mm tall, thats 6.3 inches.
What can that make the drivers, 4" at best.
18hz, LOL

Last edited:
How do they do that? There are only 2 ways for a speaker to move air.
The size of the driver.
Theirs look to be very small, hence maybe why marketing is hiding the actual size?
The excursion of the driver.
What do you think the excursion is for these drivers, 2" or maybe 3" ?
No matter how much power you have, at some real point you either blow the voicecoil out
of any reasonable linear portion of the magnet structure or blow it out of it's suspension.
I've heard it all before, unreasonable performace claims. Have them send one to Amir at ASR or Gene at Audioholics. Lets put em on the bench and see how much balls they really have. ;)
Knowing and believing are not the same thing.
- Carl Jung

I know what I heard, these 2 speakers move air. How? I dont know. Check out this review:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/devialet-phantom-gold-loudspeaker-review-r654/

I know what I heard, these 2 speakers move air. How? I dont know. Check out this review:
No wonder you thought the bass was hot, my god look at the peak in the in-room response between 20-80hz? The blue and purple traces are Mitch's reference speakers.
That's at a very soft playback level of around 83db average.
You buy em, I'll pass.

17.jpg

@Sal1950. I'm naive about much of the technical data....but the discussion is very interesting. What precisely does the in-room response tell us about those speakers?
I'm neither a speaker designer nor expert on the subject.
Depending on the room and speaker setup that graph pretty much speaks for it's self.
I believe Mitch (who I know pretty well) is attempting in his subjective review, is working
quite hard to not be too negative in his findings.
If you start at the point right next to the big horn speakers "Are they giant killers?" read the next few paragraphs in which I believe he kindly summarizes his thoughts..
He is the expert.

Hey hey everyone. Stark Audio is running a BOGO offer of buy One Get One Free on their 15” subs which are a killiee price already for only $1,000. That’s two 15” woofers for only $1,000
Damn, that's a lot of sub's for the money.
James Larsons review & measurements at Audioholics reveals some very decent performance.
If I was in the market for new subs, a pair of the 15" for $1k would be very tempting.
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/starke-sound-sw15-and-sw12/conclusion

Back