Isn't poll voting odd?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I am one of the biggest offenders....

Isn't it amazing how we (I) might take complete offense to others, who vote low on a title that I just think is amazing? lmao

I mean, who am I to say that someone can't vote a 7 on a title that I vote a 10? I was scouring the Elton John SACD threads...and I'm amazed when someone votes a 7 or an 8. I"m like....huh? How could something so glorious be a 7 or 8???

haha......we all get worked up don't we?
But, it's understandable.....so many just cream their jeans over the XTC stuff....and I've tried...oh how I've tried. If I were to vote......there would be lots of 7's. :)

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
When I was involved in the polls a 7-10 meant I was going to think about buying it...below that I needed some kind of explanation to understand why the score wasn't higher...but votes of 1 on a great historic album was enough to make me abandon the poll system...but I understand what Gos says...people get excited over XTC and some of these bands and I just realize how far apart I am in listening preference to some other people...but hey...one man's yard sale gem is another man's throw away...I'm much happier now not voting...but still talking about the titles...which in the end of the day IMO is more important than the numbers...explanations beat numbers ever time for me.....but the one element of the polls that remains a mystery to me is the group of voters who render these "drive by" votes...most never go on the threads and it seems they just exist to vote on polls and then vanish into cyber space...

Last edited:

MrSmithers

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
It’s a good point GOS old chap, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to see a lower vote if someone can actually justify it... But there are some horrendous miscalculations when you see there is a vote of ‘3’ on the The Beatles (White Album) without an explanation?!?

Personally I’m not the biggest prog fan so I do kinda detour from the heavier stuff. With the XTC titles I have - I have to say the mix and fidelity is so good that it really showcases the music... So I probably voted a lot higher then I would have done if it were just ‘plain vanilla stereo’... However said... The good thing is we live (hopefully) in a democracy and these things usually pan out... There are some lower scored albums on the polls like Nick Drake and Metallica which I actually think should be higher!

At the end of the day it’s just a number which I keep telling myself now I’m getting older!

Last edited:

MCDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
The only problem I have with the polls is that people are too generous with their ratings. There are way too many 10s and 9s, and not enough 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s. If a title is merely "good", it should be no more than a 6 or 7. 5 is average, which most titles are. I've seen countless 7s given, accompanied by numerous complaints about it. A 10 is impossible - it means it cannot possibly be any better. There is not ANY title that we can say that about, but yet people love to give 10s to any title they love.

The same thing is happening in our schools. Unreasonable parents demand blood from the teacher when their average kid gets a C.

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The only problem I have with the polls is that people are too generous with their ratings. There are way too many 10s and 9s, and not enough 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s. If a title is merely "good", it should be no more than a 6 or 7. 5 is average, which most titles are. I've seen countless 7s given, accompanied by numerous complaints about it. A 10 is imipossible - it means it cannot possibly be any better. There is not ANY title that we can say that about, but yet people love to give 10s to any title they love.

The same thing is happening in our schools. Unreasonable parents demand blood from the teacher when their average kid gets a C.

Well, I sort of disagree with that. (which is fine...right??)

A 10 represents a title that someone truly loves. And, the mix is great to their ears. Why not? I mean, it's just a number....
You surely cannot worry about your vote of a 10 last week....versus some other title coming out that you suddenly like better...can you? I don't. We can't predict what may or may not come out later that somehow is better.

I don't think... or do I? lmao....7 or a 9...what's it gonna be?

kvsawilson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I always thought I was odd man out on a lot of discs. I'd be perfectly happy with a disc and figure, while not great, it's pretty good and I'd give it a 7. Others would make it seem like I hated it. But there's probably a lot of discs I rated that same 7 that if something happened to it I would buy again in a heartbeat. For me, 10's were for the ones you use to demo your setup, 9's were just off that, 8's were still very good. Even a 6, if I like the music enough, was something i might still want. I'm more critical of mix than fidelity because some albums just weren't recorded that well and I know I don't have golden ears. My final take would be that if its music i really like, then i'll be easier to please. But I'll wish for it to be redone.
My best example might be the Doors Perception set. One of my all time favorites, but know those early albums didn't have a lot to work with, but I play them a lot. Of course, after hearing what SW did with "This Was", I sure wish he could work his magic on them. And yes, the quad best of sacd is a better listen.
But I definitely won't get myself worked up if someone doesn't rate like me. It's all opinions. I do appreciate when people explain their likes and dislikes, but I know I'm not very good about it.
Happy listening!
K

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well, I sort of disagree with that. (which is fine...right??)

A 10 represents a title that someone truly loves. And, the mix is great to their ears. Why not? I mean, it's just a number....
You surely cannot worry about your vote of a 10 last week....versus some other title coming out that you suddenly like better...can you? I don't. We can't predict what may or may not come out later that somehow is better.

I don't think... or do I? lmao....7 or a 9...what's it gonna be?
Actually somebody was worried about a vote they made...not last week...but a few years ago...that is why the forum time machine was invented ...to go back in time and revise history and change their vote...that's how all this changing voting started...so now it appears that some of us were a lot smarter years ago because they were able to look into the future and vote accordingly....do you know of any "voting system" that can be changed years after you "vote"....I don't...so that's why I call it a "suggestion"...not a vote...but whatever....it's just for entertainment:cool:

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The only problem I have with the polls is that people are too generous with their ratings. There are way too many 10s and 9s, and not enough 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s. If a title is merely "good", it should be no more than a 6 or 7. 5 is average, which most titles are. I've seen countless 7s given, accompanied by numerous complaints about it. A 10 is imipossible - it means it cannot possibly be any better. There is not ANY title that we can say that about, but yet people love to give 10s to any title they love.

Actually 10 doesn't have to mean it's perfect...it can be that it's the best available version of the title that is available...I don't understand your logic when you say there aren't enough 3's...for these titles to even be considered for a poll there has to be some level of interest...and a bunch of people who feel that the title would only merit a 3 wouldn't be supportive of a poll thread for such a title...

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Actually 10 doesn't have to mean it's perfect...it can be that it's the best available version of the title that is available...I don't understand your logic when you say there aren't enough 3's...for these titles to even be considered for a poll there has to be some level of interest...and a bunch of people who feel that the title would only merit a 3 wouldn't be supportive of a poll thread for such a title...
You said it Clint. I've voted 9's and 10's on older cherished titles that fidelity-wise and mix-wise sounded like crap before the latest version came out. It's not practical to think that a 5.1 recording derived from vintage 1970's 8-track tape can compete sonically with a recording done on the latest equipment in 2019...(Although record companies somehow still manage to produce their share of awful sounding stuff year after year)...

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Nowadays, the only polls I really care about are polls for legacy titles that I haven't bought yet, as they can help me steer away from making bad purchases.
When it comes to newer titles, a lot of the time, I'm getting in the newer releases on the same day that I'm creating the poll for it for the forum, so if it's a dud, I'll be finding out as I'm listening to it, and then it can be too late... :oops:

Also, I ALWAYS factor in musical content when I vote. Just like not all mixes are created equal, all music isn't created equal, and even the greatest mix can't save terrible music

Finally, I'm very proud of the polls and the standards that Jon first set. There's no other place in the world that has the kind of information and knowledge we have about these releases, and I'm looking to continue all of this throughout 2019 and beyond.

:)

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
When I was involved in the polls a 7-10 meant I was going to think about buying it...below that I needed some kind of explanation to understand why the score wasn't higher...but votes of 1 on a great historic album was enough to make me abandon the poll system...but I understand what Gos says...people get excited over XTC and some of these bands and I just realize how far apart I am in listening preference to some other people...but hey...one man's yard sale gem is another man's throw away...I'm much happier now not voting...but still talking about the titles...which in the end of the day IMO is more important than the numbers...explanations beat numbers ever time for me.....but the one element of the polls that remains a mystery to me is the group of voters who render these "drive by" votes...most never go on the threads and it seems they just exist to vote on polls and then vanish into cyber space...
The reason I haven't voted much yet is because I feel it is so important to trust my own opinion (now and in the future) to get it right. I just don't see myself voting on music I don't like or just think meh, because I might skew the results unnecessarily negative. It's also important enough that it needs to be analyzed for various characteristics, not just sitting there enjoying it, which means its work! I also believe the votes should be backed up with a fair amount of explanation. And let's face it, music is very personal, so can we truly be objective?