Isn't poll voting odd?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Somehow, whenever I feel down, hate all politicians, my dog pissed on the carpet, or I just wanna smack someone on tv (which is stupid 'cause I'd probably break my old hand,) I come here and get revived.
I've never met a damn one of you, but sometimes I love ya all for the discussions you bring forth.

-Boonie, checking in from the lunatic fringe

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm one of those that have come to revere the Polls, for those like Ed Bishop and Cai Campbell that still enlighten me on old Quad titles.
I'd like to think all of us that make an effort to bring comments into the Polls will help other future members also. It gives me a kind of comfort to know, that what knowledge & opinions we share now will carry on later, and hopefully surround sound in general for many years to come.
The only thing about the Polls I'm unsure about comes from within myself on deciding how well I like something and how best to get my feelings across in the comments.

I had Chinese dinner tonight, and the fortune cookie reminded me a little of this discussion.

FC.jpg

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
You should hear Cornholio sing "Lesbian Seagull"
It's pretty simple for me. I really enjoy reading fellow members reviews. If it's someone I'm not familiar with I will always check it out on YouTube.
I only purchase the type of music I like and I will only review what I buy.
There are some very highly ranked releases that I won't vote on because I don't like the type of music.
No reason for me to lower something in the poll.
When I do vote:
Sevens get 48%
Eights get 48%
Nines get 3%
Tens get 1%
I've only been burned once and it's not even listed on these polls.
(I would have given Living Colour a 3)
It's only a 7 - 10 range for me because I am very careful what I buy.

drphibes

500 Club - QQ All-Star
A 10 point rating system is absurd and pretty much certain to lead to the Lake Woebegon phenomenon: all the recordings are above average (5).
(dredging an old post, but I have a point)

Okay, so, here's the thing.

I agree that picking a scale from X to Y has issues.

What do you recommend? You've called out all the 10+ votes, but have offered nothing constructive as near as I can find. What's your solution?

Circular Vibes

Since 2002/2003
I have to admit that I don't vote very much in polls. That is only because I feel I should play titles more than once or twice before I vote and I have way too much media to play any one thing often. I also have the old analog prejudice with 2000+ LPs. That said, I do read the polls and the opinions. One without the other is like fish without chips. I have limited funds for big purchases I play only occasionally so I read others opinions and decide if I want to splurge. I balance my cash, , their prices, your opinions and how bad I want to hear a title to make a purchase. I only feel I've been kinda burned once and that was because there was no poll and the SACD was long out of print, of foreign issue and pricy/uncommon. The sound was good, but it was far from discrete and stereo sounded just as pleasant to me. That was the Vanessa Mae disc. I forget the price but it was cheaper than most were asking for it, so I only kinda got burnt. The few titles I was so stoked to buy as preorders or as Super Deluxe Editions I have been so very impressed with. I wasn't so impressed with Sgt. Pepper but another listen is needed. The stereo CD from that set was stellar in the car. I am not crazy about changing votes but understand the need and won't complain until it gets significantly abused. I hope all of you will keep voting and commenting. I kinda think the one thing I'd like to see is a mandatory comment if one does choose to vote. Maybe at least if the vote is say under a 5 or 6. Long or short comments are all welcome to me and votes are also welcome regardless of how each of us breaks up the way they score points. Oh, one last thing before tl;dr, kudos to Jon for cleaning up after the rash of one votes fiasco of some time ago.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm one of those that have come to revere the Polls, for those like Ed Bishop and Cai Campbell that still enlighten me on old Quad titles.
I'd like to think all of us that make an effort to bring comments into the Polls will help other future members also. It gives me a kind of comfort to know, that what knowledge & opinions we share now will carry on later, and hopefully surround sound in general for many years to come.
The only thing about the Polls I'm unsure about comes from within myself on deciding how well I like something and how best to get my feelings across in the comments.

I had Chinese dinner tonight, and the fortune cookie reminded me a little of this discussion.

View attachment 43986
fortune cookie say;

MrSmithers

It's funny how high we tend to vote, but that's just because us quadies like what we like and we like what we like. The packaging thing doesn't really matter to me as I play from a HDD. 🤖 But I still think it's important for those titles released before that was possible. Content is king first and foremost for me but it's all subjective. Remember: one man's seven... is another man's four... :)

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
It's funny how high we tend to vote, but that's just because us quadiess like what like and like, and we like what we like. The packaging thing doesn't really matter to me as I play from a HDD. 🤖 But I still think it's important for those titles released before that was possible. Content is king first and foremost for me but it's all subjective. Remember: one man's seven... is another man's four... :)

PACKAGING ISN'T IMPORTANT, MASTER SMITHERS. HUH?

See the source image

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I like to go through the polls to assess what I might need to seek out that I don’t yet own. If it’s very highly rated it gets a higher priority in my buying search. There are tons of things I could not buy at the time of release when they were more commonly found for sale.

But I like to notice the 2 and 3 or 4 ratings and then look at the profile of the person who gave it that low grade, especially when most others have it 8s 9s and 10s.

Often that person who gave the exceptionally low rating has been gone for many years now. Sometimes they are shown to have been a member for a few months only, or less. Rarely are they long term members with listening habits we’ve come to recognize as a contribution here. I’m talking about the otherwise highly rated titles not the ones where most all have given it a thumbs down.

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I like to go through the polls to assess what I might need to seek out that I don’t yet own. If it’s very highly rated it gets a higher priority in my buying search. There are tons of things I could not buy at the time of release when they were more commonly found fir sale.

But I like to notice the 2 and 3 or 4 ratings and then look at the profile of the person who gave it that low grade, especially when most others have it 8s 9s and 10s.

Often that person who gave the exceptionally low rating has been gone for many years now. Sometimes they are shown to have been a member for a few months only, or less. Rarely are they long term members with listening habits we’ve come to recognize as a contribution here. I’m talking about the otherwise highly rated titles not the ones where most all have given it a thumbs down.
I've totally noticed that trend. :(

Sonik Wiz

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The reason I haven't voted much yet is because I feel it is so important to trust my own opinion (now and in the future) to get it right. I just don't see myself voting on music I don't like or just think meh, because I might skew the results unnecessarily negative. It's also important enough that it needs to be analyzed for various characteristics, not just sitting there enjoying it, which means its work! I also believe the votes should be backed up with a fair amount of explanation. And let's face it, music is very personal, so can we truly be objective?
I do think poll vaulting is very odd. What does it it matter how high music jumps if you enjoy it? Wot?

Frogmort

Everyone should vote as they're compelled. I love the haphazard freedom of votes on here. Don't change a thing.

I personally tend to vote based off of fidelity and surround imaging. Some people tend to include more packaging and bonus material. I don't care and welcome influences and preferences opposed to my own.

rikpepe

The polls are BS really. You are voting for the mix and the content. I think these are 2 separate "issues". But it is the only system we have.
Read the poll today - I just shake my head in disbelief. Proof enough of the end of civilization as we know it. I guess there will always be an outlier. But at the top? Really? Just because of the first minute of golly-gee? I'm going back to my rocking chair and cranking King Crimson and something else I can't tell you about - yet.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their “Hit and Runs” I guess one could call them.
On the other hand, I’ve also noticed some of these folks that gave a 4 rating to a real stunner Mix and a great album, have not posted much if anything but their profile says they are still around and lurking currently. Not hit and left the building at all. Still here but are quiet as a mouse. Glad they are still fans of surround anyway.