Issue Playing Back Burned DVD-Audio Disc on Sony UBP-x800m2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstevee00

Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right section. If not, please let me know.

I recently got my hands on some .ISO files with both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video content to burn to DVD-Rs. I am using am app called Burn on a mid-2012 model Macbook Pro with a built in DVD-RW drive to burn the discs. I am using single layer 4.7DB DVD-Rs. I copy the .ISO disc image to burn and the disc burns successfully.

However, when I put the disc into my Sony UBP-x800m2 player, it will not read the disc. However, if I set the player to read the disc as a DVD-Video disc, I am able to play the DVD-Video portion with the lossy tracks without issue. I've tried two separate .ISO disc images for DVD-Audio albums and still have the same issues.

I know it is not the Sony player since I have several commercial DVD-Audio discs that play both as a DVD-Audio or a DVD-Video without any issues. Does anyone who has more experience with burning DVD-Audio discs have an idea of what may be happening here? Could it be an issue with my disc drive, the software I'm using, or both? I can provide any additional information if needed.

Yeah I thuoght I read something about the X800 being adverse to reading burned DVD-Rs :unsure:

You might want to mount the iso to explore it and confirm there is an Audio_TS folder as well as a Video_TS. You need the former - even though it is empty - for a proper DVD-A.

Apologies if you're already aware of this.

Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right section. If not, please let me know.

I recently got my hands on some .ISO files with both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video content to burn to DVD-Rs. I am using am app called Burn on a mid-2012 model Macbook Pro with a built in DVD-RW drive to burn the discs. I am using single layer 4.7DB DVD-Rs. I copy the .ISO disc image to burn and the disc burns successfully.

However, when I put the disc into my Sony UBP-x800m2 player, it will not read the disc. However, if I set the player to read the disc as a DVD-Video disc, I am able to play the DVD-Video portion with the lossy tracks without issue. I've tried two separate .ISO disc images for DVD-Audio albums and still have the same issues.

I know it is not the Sony player since I have several commercial DVD-Audio discs that play both as a DVD-Audio or a DVD-Video without any issues. Does anyone who has more experience with burning DVD-Audio discs have an idea of what may be happening here? Could it be an issue with my disc drive, the software I'm using, or both? I can provide any additional information if needed.
Any reason you're not just using the stock OSX burn to disc?

I'd be suspicious that that app is altering something. If it's really just supposed to be an image burning app... why would someone make something redundant like that, right?

I've got the first version of the Sony UBP-X800 and it's true as well for that unit. Great player overall; ironically it *will* play burned AVCHD (Blu Ray content on DVD media). I smile that a Sony product plays a (commercial) DVD-Audio disc at all.

Whenever you burn media discs of any description, avoid the default Max burn speed. If you have a choice, use the slowest you have patience for. The most robust burns are those that don’t challenge the player to correct high speed errors; potentially reduced laser power (a 16x burn writes with a lot less power than a 4x burn) and less accurate “placement” of those 1s & 0s on the dye layer. It matters.

Good standard advice. I typically burn at half the rated speed of the media. As for this player it recognizes commercial DVD-A discs but no burned DVD-A. AVCHD discs or HDD of surround FLACs works fine.

Could this be an HDMI problem? I remember reading somewhere that HDMI will not output audio that does not have copy protection encoded in it. (HDCP I think it was) If I am conflating different things my apologies.

I have a Sony UBP-X800 as well and can confirm others' feedback regarding issues with non-retail DVD-As/SACDs. For burned DVD-As, I always assumed the issue was a watermark, but if memory serves, not all of the retail DVD-As included a watermark. So, maybe @gene_stl is onto something? :unsure:

Other universal players (like Denon) play burned DVD-As and SACDs perfectly fine.

Could this be an HDMI problem? I remember reading somewhere that HDMI will not output audio that does not have copy protection encoded in it. (HDCP I think it was) If I am conflating different things my apologies.
The behavior of a DVD-A watermark issue is for a player to recognize a copied DVD-A disc and stop it's playback after about 15 seconds; that is not what's happening here. It displays "disc is unrecognized media" or similar from the very start.

I believe that on all recordable discs there is an embedded code to tell the player/recorder what type of disc (DVD-R/+R etc.), capacity, max burn speed etc. So if its not in the Sony's format look-up table the machine has been instructed to reject it - why is another matter!

HDCP was early protocol for HDMI handshake validation to control content shared between devices. The security method for MLP content for DVD-A discs is a wholly separate concept; it also works in vehicles where the player is not connecting to other audio components. I can stick a non-watermarked commercial DVD-A disc (Toy Matinee) into the Sony player and it works fine. It's more as Duncan states - beyond the blank disc attributes - how is the data formatted on the burned disc?

I think the AVCHD (typically Blu Ray DTS-MA audio on DVD media) discs work in the Sony because they are really a subset of the Blu Ray spec and as such are not really a recognized audio format they would refuse to support since the AVCHD format has other uses with 1440 DV camcorder video.

Personally I can't decide if this is a design flaw or a purposeful move on Sony's part. All I know is I laugh every time I play a commercially pressed DVD-A in a Sony product such as this, given their past lack of support for the format.

Tim,
How does this unit work with Multi-channel FLAC using USB?

HDCP was early protocol for HDMI handshake validation to control content shared between devices. The security method for MLP content for DVD-A discs is a wholly separate concept; it also works in vehicles where the player is not connecting to other audio components. I can stick a non-watermarked commercial DVD-A disc (Toy Matinee) into the Sony player and it works fine. It's more as Duncan states - beyond the blank disc attributes - how is the data formatted on the burned disc?

I think the AVCHD (typically Blu Ray DTS-MA audio on DVD media) discs work in the Sony because they are really a subset of the Blu Ray spec and as such are not really a recognized audio format they would refuse to support since the AVCHD format has other uses with 1440 DV camcorder video.

Personally I can't decide if this is a design flaw or a purposeful move on Sony's part. All I know is I laugh every time I play a commercially pressed DVD-A in a Sony product such as this, given their past lack of support for the format.

Back