Italians Do It Better (the Johnny Jewel record label)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I've just recently discovered and become absolutely hooked on Windswept by Johnny Jewel (the title track as well as the full album) as the music and production value are right up there imo (I think Johnny Jewel must have one of the best sounding synthesiser rigs out there!). Technically speaking, I first heard the track Windswept a couple of years ago as it featured in Twin Peaks: The Return, along with a number of other tracks by artists on his label; indeed, his label seems to be one of the go-to labels for modest-top budget independent films (Ryan Gosling's Drive, for example).

Anyway, Wikipedia describes the music associated with the label as contributing to electro/synth pop, post punk and Italo disco. The label offers CDs, LPs and downloads. Sadly, Windswept seems to be OOP on vinyl (or very hard to get here in the UK) and used copies are going for £35 plus so I'll hold out for a reissue. But the good news is that every album on the label is a dollar a whip to buy as a WAV or MP3 download!

Fwiw, a lot of Johnny Jewel's music leans towards synth soundscapes as much as pop, probably a lot more so, and apparently, Johnny is a hands-on producer who definitely influences the end-sound of the artists on his label. Make no mistake, the guy is an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist and I approve of his hands-on approach.

Click here to visit the website and click play below to enjoy Windswept
:)

I've just recently discovered and become absolutely hooked on Windswept by Johnny Jewel (the title track as well as the full album) as the music and production value are right up there imo (I think Johnny Jewel must have one of the best sounding synthesiser rigs out there!). Technically speaking, I first heard the track Windswept a couple of years ago as it featured in Twin Peaks: The Return, along with a number of other tracks by artists on his label; indeed, his label seems to be one of the go-to labels for modest-top budget independent films (Ryan Gosling's Drive, for example).

Anyway, Wikipedia describes the music associated with the label as contributing to electro/synth pop, post punk and Italo disco. The label offers CDs, LPs and downloads. Sadly, Windswept seems to be OOP on vinyl (or very hard to get here in the UK) and used copies are going for £35 plus so I'll hold out for a reissue. But the good news is that every album on the label is a dollar a whip to buy as a WAV or MP3 download!

Fwiw, a lot of Johnny Jewel's music leans towards synth soundscapes as much as pop, probably a lot more so, and apparently, Johnny is a hands-on producer who definitely influences the end-sound of the artists on his label. Make no mistake, the guy is an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist and I approve of his hands-on approach.

Click here to visit the website and click play below to enjoy Windswept

This album is available on Spotify

and Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/album/131333064

I've bought quite a few Johnny Jewel albums now - as WAV downloads and vinyl (the vinyl is first class btw) - and I reckon Windswept and Digital Rain are the best of the bunch so far; fwiw, the artwork for Windswept is cinematically gorgeous!

Anyway, I sent an email to Italians Do It Better earlier asking whether there's any chance of Johnny's music being mixed and released in quad or 5.1 surround sound. I'd be amazed if I get a reply never mind get to own any of his albums in multichannel, but if you don't ask, you definitely don't get!

51boYiHqPsL._AC_.jpg

Back