It's a Sad Situation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably getting close to beating a dead horse (and I'm going OT too...), but I think the audio stores in the 1970s should have promoted DynaQuad more (I never saw a DynaQuad setup in an audio store, it was either stereo only or high dollar MCH receivers [w/SQ,QS,CD-4 decoders] + speakers).

DynaQuad is a "near free lunch" system, at minimum, the audio store could have sold 1 more speaker (maybe higher priced speakers for the front channels and the lowest cost speaker [all from the same manufacturer] for the surround channel).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I'm probably getting close to beating a dead horse (and I'm going OT too...), but I think the audio stores in the 1970s should have promoted DynaQuad more (I never saw a DynaQuad setup in an audio store, it was either stereo only or high dollar MCH receivers [w/SQ,QS,CD-4 decoders] + speakers).

DynaQuad is a "near free lunch" system, at minimum, the audio store could have sold 1 more speaker (maybe higher priced speakers for the front channels and the lowest cost speaker [all from the manufacturer] for the surround channel).

Kirk Bayne
For awhile many receivers were advertised as quad in some way but only featured the Dyna speaker connection. That "fake" quad might of turned some off of real quad but yes I agree that DynaQuad is a "near free lunch" system. As I recall didn't some TV's feature that for Dolby surround as well?

IIRC, in the early 1980s, some manufacturers made line level DynaQuad decoders for the emerging home theater market (so as to avoid paying for the Dolby logo), some of these were in the $100 to $200 range (no logic, just an adjustable surround channel delay).

IMHO, a lost opportunity, DynaQuad will get some sort of surround sound effect from both SQ and QS (and Stereo-4) and could have been a stepping stone to logic matrix decoders and discrete quad systems.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
For awhile many receivers were advertised as quad in some way but only featured the Dyna speaker connection. That "fake" quad might of turned some off of real quad but yes I agree that DynaQuad is a "near free lunch" system. As I recall didn't some TV's feature that for Dolby surround as well?

Yes. The Dynaco SCA-80Q was a 40 wpc integrated amp with additional speaker terminals and a front panel rocker switch for Dynaquad. It was my first true high fidelity component. It allowed me to start out with two front speakers and then add two rear speakers later for Dynaquad. Fake quad or whatever, I was thrilled with the setup. An SQ decoder and additional amp came later.

In the late 70's or early 80's there were also "Ambiophonic" 3 in 1 systems (Thorn) with 4 speakers but I think it was only some sort of delay for the surrounds

Those 'two channel snob' "audiophiles" must absolutely hate live music! All the direct discrete sound sources on a stage firing at them! (Drums, multiple amplifiers, etc) And then reflections in the room itself. Live concerts must be an abomination to them. A Pink Floyd show back in the day with their quad surround system and their joysticks would have been one of the 7 levels of hell to them!

Some folks not knowing things about stuff is all well and good. Especially technical details around audio. It IS kind of weird that it comes out of trade mags in the industry and the mouths of supposed enthusiasts though!

The most triggering to read is the gaslighting with DRM formats though. Mischaracterizing DRM as quality improvement.
And Pink Floyd is just one of many I can't imagine enjoying Roy Orbison's Black and White Nights as much as I do in 2 channel.

I can't tell you how many "audio" magazines exist now, because I don't care. But back when there were several that seemed in ever increasing competition to bring us "the inside story" on a set of speakers that to this day I couldn't afford. Don't get me wrong, if the author of the article made a good story it was cool to read about super expensive equipment and the little company in France or whomever it was that built them!
But after a while the descriptions went off into what seemed some mary jane induced pipe dream. Some reviewers were clearly in the thrall of certain manufacturers and gave what I came to believe as slanted articles favoring them, and this seemed to escalate up into the early eighties when I finally closed the door on all subscriptions. I'm aware we have members in the business of writing articles and this is not a shot at any of those individuals, just my collective experience from those years. A dream job for me would be to get comped with state of the art equipment to review..or would have when my hearing was intact. Although reading articles in the few mags I bought in later years, it almost seemed like the affluent lifestyle of some reviewers made you feel like they were rubbing your nose in something....
There, I said it. C'est La Vie!

When I was in the military, we read all these mags, and all we dumb ass kids wanted was a cogent explanation of any equipment, esp. stereo, or articles on SQ/QS/CD4, is that AR turntable that good for the cheap price, etc. and to read the specs on a piece of equipment. Better still were the articles that concentrated on Quad (for a very, very, small few of us) and gave honest opinions from a reviewer's "test drive" of the actual equipment instead of blindly following strictly the manufacturer's flowery self promoting...I mean this is guys in the military, they ddn't pay much in those days, and we had to scrimp and save even at military discount to afford the gear we sought out. ($177/mo was IIRC E1 pay in 1970, and Audio magazines were passed around and became threadbare in short order.
But by God those times were exciting for this 19 year old dumb ass kid inducted from draft board #33! The people I met that loved music as much as I was a very memorable experience that stays with me to this day.
Damn, wrote yet another memory book no one wants to read. I get carried away.

.I mean this is guys in the military, they ddn't pay much in those days, and we had to scrimp and save even at military discount to afford the gear we sought out. ($177/mo was IIRC E1 pay in 1970, and Audio magazines were passed around and became threadbare in short order.
That sounds about right.
Vietman 1970, not me but a couple of bro's in communications I was pulling security for.

image_19.jpg

Those 'two channel snob' "audiophiles" must absolutely hate live music! All the direct discrete sound sources on a stage firing at them! (Drums, multiple amplifiers, etc) And then reflections in the room itself. Live concerts must be an abomination to them. A Pink Floyd show back in the day with their quad surround system and their joysticks would have been one of the 7 levels of hell to them!

Interesting.

I was at a live event last night, and it sounded more like a matrix recording than a discrete one.

I could hear the general direction the sounds were coming from, but there was no way I could pinpoint the exact locations of the sounds. It's not as though each sound has its own speaker.

I was near the back of the large room, so the room acoustics might have influenced it. The room is rather live.

I COULD hear sounds coming from the sides (audience participation), The only quad and surround systems that let me hear those from the directions they actually come from (without turning my head) are Dolby Surround and Pro Logic I and II.

I later looked at the sound system and noted that many of the sounds were positioned by the panpots on the stereo PA mixer, but some of the ones I heard were made by the actual sound-producing sources. Still, the sound image was diffuse for all of the sounds.

Hearsay for any to dis quad in any manner! They clearly don't know what they are talking about!! All 4 Quad, Quad 4 all l!!!!

Hearsay? That's when a witness is repeating what someone else said (not allowed in court). hear --> say.

Do you mean "heresy"?

Interesting.

I was at a live event last night, and it sounded more like a matrix recording than a discrete one.

I could hear the general direction the sounds were coming from, but there was no way I could pinpoint the exact locations of the sounds. It's not as though each sound has its own speaker.

I was near the back of the large room, so the room acoustics might have influenced it. The room is rather live.

I COULD hear sounds coming from the sides (audience participation), The only quad and surround systems that let me hear those from the directions they actually come from (without turning my head) are Dolby Surround and Pro Logic I and II.

I later looked at the sound system and noted that many of the sounds were positioned by the panpots on the stereo PA mixer, but some of the ones I heard were made by the actual sound-producing sources. Still, the sound image was diffuse for all of the sounds.

I was thinking of more of an optimal listening position within the mix soundstage. Maybe closer to the stage and thus hearing live discrete sound sources from live drums and amplifiers. Of course a live mix is made for a large area vs a studio mix made for a single sweet spot listening position. So you're going to have a lot of mono reinforcement live. I'm very much being a smart ass in the above comment! But it's also really true that part of a live concert experience (again, with reasonable seats within the mix sound stage) is hearing a lot of discrete sound coming from multiple places and including the sound of lighting up the room with reflections. Those wannabe snobs kind of forgot that part in their argument there! (More likely they are inexperienced and maybe have never even been to a live concert.) Got to know a little bit about what you're talking about before you can bs people, right? :D

Yeah that looks typical from the time. Thanks!
My ex got all my pics and I've not seen them since.
That really sucks!! I don't have many, as a 11B10 grunt I spent most of my time in the bush. But I do have a number I'd be glad to share with you it you'd like such as,

One of the first and last things many of us seen during our tour,
image00.jpg

Nice shot of a Cobra gunship.
image_22.jpg

Interesting.

Get a better decoder

That really sucks!! I don't have many, as a 11B10 grunt I spent most of my time in the bush. But I do have a number I'd be glad to share with you it you'd like such as,

One of the first and last things many of us seen during our tour,
View attachment 69073

Nice shot of a Cobra gunship.
View attachment 69074
Sweet. Me and Captain Copter were all over the place...some times at Tan Son Nhut or however it's spelled, and Da Nang depending on mission. We usually had a "Huey" but sometimes borrowed a Marine Corp machine and a few times the OH56 birds.
PM me anything you got you wanna share and we'll get back to music out here.
Thanks.

Back