It's a Sad Situation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are and plenty did . I even had a letter from the lads at Fosgate suggesting I try out some of the soundtrack albums for use with my theatre surround on my Tate 101a .

It was Dolby Stereo, not QS. I have the record.

Most of the soundtrack albums from that era I have are at least in part encoded in Dolby Stereo.

It was Dolby Stereo, not QS. I have the record.

Most of the soundtrack albums from that era I have are at least in part encoded in Dolby Stereo.

Yes but IIRC the Sansui QS matrix was used for a bit by Dolby Labs for their film soundtrack projects, just as that article mentions .

This is interesting - this link between sansui QS, and movie soundtracks, reminds me of something. Some years ago, I found an interesting piece of 80s Sansui equipment on ebay, and bought it at a cheap price. I think this is the same unit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293650735310?hash=item445ef2a0ce:g:mKcAAOSwCP5fEIO1
Sansui AV-C10

An 80s amplifier, with a QS decoder, made by Sansui, certainly left me with the question - is it as good as the other Sansui QS decoders that sell for big money? Perhaps I found some hidden secret - a stealth quality QS decoder that could be had for a fraction of the price?

Well....no. Not at all. It decodes QS, but with mono rears. I didn't keep that box long, sold it off once I figured out it was useless to me.

Basically, it's a video switcher box, with some bells and whistles - lets you easily connect multiple VCRs, and perhaps a laserdisc player, and easily be able to control them and dub between them. It does have an amplifier - but only stereo. To use any of the theater surround modes, you have to use the line level outputs. But I recall all decoding options having a mono rear (same content out both rears)

But - seeing the reference to QS being used in Star Wars, and the mono rears, reminded me of this box. Another connection between the QS format, and use in video/movies.

Yep, those units got me all excited as well.

They even had a QS surround switch. (Sorry hard to see with my pic).
20210728_103850.jpg
20210728_103657.jpg
20210728_103704.jpg
20210728_103704.jpg
20210728_103716.jpg
20210728_103704.jpg

Awesome - looks like there were 3 units, from what I can see from those pictures.

The DS-77, which appears to be a rather simple decoder. 1 AV in, 1 AV out, stereo amp built in and 4 channel line level out. Basically just lets you add some theater surround to your existing audio/video setup.
DS-77 front.jpg
DS-77 back.jpg

Next up is the unit I briefly had, the AV-C10. Connections for 3 VCRs, plus another Video input on the front, and a line in to bring in the line out of another system, built in stereo amp, 4 channel line level out. Adds theater surround options to your existing setup, allows ease of setup for multiple video recorder devices to dub between them.

AV-C10 front.jpg
AV-C10 back.jpg

And then the ultimate one - S-XV1000. It's got it all - inputs for 3 VCRs, 4 channel amplification, inputs for CD, record, tape in/out, radio tuner with pre-sets. It even has a color correction joystick. Looks like quite a home theater system for the 80s. Too bad it probably has mono rears on the decoders.
S-XV1000 front.jpg
S-XV1000 back.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, those units got me all excited as well.

They even had a QS surround switch. (Sorry hard to see with my pic).View attachment 69491View attachment 69492View attachment 69493View attachment 69493View attachment 69494View attachment 69493

There was an interesting thread about the DS-77 about 10 years ago started by Disclord:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sansuis-last-qs-decoder-in-usa.14913/#post-132490
Edit: And as a reminder there's some great info in the Disclord archives:

https://issuu.com/disclord

Back