I've never seen anything like this-a "companion" CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a fun project. Interesting approach, sort of a "Do It Yourself" surround deal.

Similar to the Flaming Lips 4 CD/LP set: Zaireeka - Wikipedia

Cai sent me a conversion many years ago and said it was from mulitple CDs. There are probably threads here in the forum about that.

looks interesting..

some info on Bandcamp;

ACES IS NOT A STAND ALONE RECORD.
IT IS A QUADROPHONIC SURROUND COMPANION FOR “NEGOTATIONS”.

Here are a few guidelines and ideas for setup and use:

ACES is meant to be played simultaneously with the Negotiations album on two different stereo systems to create an enhanced spatial experience. Set up two independent stereo systems with speakers facing towards each other and the listener placed in the middle of the stereo fields as shown in the diagram. The "Original" source of Negotiations should be played through "Speakers A" with the listener facing forward. The "Companion" source should be played through "Speakers B" to the rear of the listener. Start both sources in sync by pressing play at the same time on each independent system to hear a spatially enhanced version of Negotiations. Volume of the "Companion" source can be varied to create subtle to extreme experiences. The material on the "Companion" source can also be delayed (ideally anywhere within ~100ms) to create a bigger and more spacious effect by simply waiting for a very short amount of time after the "Original" is started to press play on the "Companion" system. Delay times of longer than 100ms will create more psychedelic and chaotic effects. For best results it is not recommended to start the "Companion" source before the "Original". It should be noted that every media player and computer sound card has a different internal clock, so the "Original" and "Companion" sources may slowly drift apart over time. In some cases it may be necessary to resync at the beginning of each song. There are no hard rules, so feel free to experiment and get creative with placement and playback variation. Overall, the results aren't meant to be precise, but rather ethereal and spacious. Enjoy!

looks interesting..

some info on Bandcamp;

ACES IS NOT A STAND ALONE RECORD.
IT IS A QUADROPHONIC SURROUND COMPANION FOR “NEGOTATIONS”.

Here are a few guidelines and ideas for setup and use:

ACES is meant to be played simultaneously with the Negotiations album on two different stereo systems to create an enhanced spatial experience. Set up two independent stereo systems with speakers facing towards each other and the listener placed in the middle of the stereo fields as shown in the diagram. The "Original" source of Negotiations should be played through "Speakers A" with the listener facing forward. The "Companion" source should be played through "Speakers B" to the rear of the listener. Start both sources in sync by pressing play at the same time on each independent system to hear a spatially enhanced version of Negotiations. Volume of the "Companion" source can be varied to create subtle to extreme experiences. The material on the "Companion" source can also be delayed (ideally anywhere within ~100ms) to create a bigger and more spacious effect by simply waiting for a very short amount of time after the "Original" is started to press play on the "Companion" system. Delay times of longer than 100ms will create more psychedelic and chaotic effects. For best results it is not recommended to start the "Companion" source before the "Original". It should be noted that every media player and computer sound card has a different internal clock, so the "Original" and "Companion" sources may slowly drift apart over time. In some cases it may be necessary to resync at the beginning of each song. There are no hard rules, so feel free to experiment and get creative with placement and playback variation. Overall, the results aren't meant to be precise, but rather ethereal and spacious. Enjoy!
Sounds like it’s meant to be precisely un-precise! :ROFLMAO:

o_O Sounds, Sounds, like, like, they, they, never, never, came, came, across, across, surround, surround, discs, discs :devilish:

Sort of reminds me of

See the source image

David Arkenstone used the 2-CD technique for his "Myths And Legends" album back in 2007 but he also included a 5.1 DVD with package.

I came across the Helio Sequence Album a while back, but didn't think the companion disc really added much to the music (mostly ambiance), although I would add that it's not really my sort of thing. Nice and easy to combine the two CD's into a Quad Flac though.

The Flaming Lips on the other hand is right up my street... A bit more tricky to create a good multichannel flac to do it justice though. I ripped each disc to a single stereo file (rather than splitting to tracks) and then imported to a multitrack session in Audition. By placing each input at 90° (direct front, left, right and rear) with a 22.5°stereo spread on each one, you get a virtual array of 8 equally spaced speakers. Render that down to a 5.1 output (with the LFE derived from all discs, summed to mono with a 120Hz filter) and you get a very cool, fully immersive listening experience:cool:. There's a lot of very low-frequency stuff going on, so the LFE channel is worth adding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back