HiRez Poll Jackson, Andy - SIGNAL TO NOISE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Andy Jackson - SIGNAL TO NOISE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
In direction more warmly in the timbres, pretty detailed, no agressive soundeffects from behind, but more than a whistle. I like the music (especially Track 6 i think Roger is back to Pink Floyd) and i like the surround mix.

I will give it a 9/10

I am currently listening to this in the car this week. My first listen was not at full attention, but upon further listens, I am warming up to it a lot.

My current fav is Track 7, played at high volume, :), "Brownian Motion". It has a very heavy vibe to it and the 4.0 mix works to really fill it out. It's quite interesting how at times Andy sounds a lot like Roger Waters. Not a mimic, but a similarity. I won't vote until I know the album better, but I am enjoying it more as I hear it more.

I am currently listening to this in the car this week. My first listen was not at full attention, but upon further listens, I am warming up to it a lot.

My current fav is Track 7, played at high volume, :), "Brownian Motion". It has a very heavy vibe to it and the 4.0 mix works to really fill it out. It's quite interesting how at times Andy sounds a lot like Roger Waters. Not a mimic, but a similarity. I won't vote until I know the album better, but I am enjoying it more as I hear it more.

Me too, I need to listen to this a few more times before voting. I've listened 4 times so far and I'm liking it, but I'm not there yet. Yes the music has a laid back Floydness about it. To me the vocals have a Hawkwind feel to them, which is fine by me.

Its great having new music in surround for a change, but it makes voting a bit of a different process, as you have to get to know the songs too. There's nowt wrong with that though :)

It's quite interesting how at times Andy sounds a lot like Roger Waters. Not a mimic, but a similarity.

Funny you'd say that because for some reason he makes me think of Richard Wright!

I enjoy the music and the mix, both of which sucked me right in straight from the beginning. I love that in 2014 it openly says "Quad" on the sticker! I bought a total of three copies so I can seasonally pass two along to friends.

Curiously, AudioMuxer was very, very confused about where the chapter breaks should be when I made files for my server (I promise Mr. Jackson I'm not file sharing, these are for my own use!). MakeMKV didn't have any trouble at all.

Wow, I guess not many have voted on this. I received my disc today. So, I plug it in, and choose (bear with me...I'm a little slow with all the audio codes) Advanced Resolution Surround...assuming this is my best bet.

Sounds awesome....super surround mix...just...no sub. Nothing...nada. Zip. OK, I'm ever so slightly bummed. Again, the mix sounds excellent...just little bass...if any, as my sub is silent...so whatever bass I hear is coming from my fronts and surrounds.

So, I get adventuresome. Go back to menu on my Oppo. Decide to choose the DTS 96/24 Digital Surround....Voila! Mucho bass action from my sub. OK, so probably someone needs to educate me on why my sub wasn't getting any activity on the ARS, but did on the DTS DS.

Regardless. NICE! What an excellent sounding mix. What super music...that I admit has overtones of Pink Floyd (and why not?). I absolutely love this music and very well done. I even hear an occasional Nine Inch Nails moment.... I asked my wife who it reminded her of...and she said...."Pink Floyd"! LOL! So, there you have it. A final comment....I can't wait till the wife is gone, so I can crank this up...I can tell this will have a very different experience at higher volumes...which I intend to do.

Great job Andy, I'm so happy to have this disc...you've done a wonderful job and should be proud.
This is a keeper!

I rated it a 9.

OK, so probably someone needs to educate me on why my sub wasn't getting any activity on the ARS, but did on the DTS DS.

It is a 4.0 disk; so will not send anything to the sub unless you configure your oppo or receiver crossover to do so and is related to whether you have your speakers configured as large or small in the oppo or receiver. I assume the DTS 96/24 has some automatic crossover settings in your setup. The place you set the crossover in some part depends on whether you are using HDMI or RCA cables to connect your oppo.

...no sub. Nothing...nada. Zip. OK, I'm ever so slightly bummed. Again, the mix sounds excellent...just little bass...if any, as my sub is silent...so whatever bass I hear is coming from my fronts and surrounds.

So, I get adventuresome. Go back to menu on my Oppo. Decide to choose the DTS 96/24 Digital Surround....Voila! Mucho bass action from my sub. OK, so probably someone needs to educate me on why my sub wasn't getting any activity on the ARS, but did on the DTS DS.

As Sukothai says. It is a 4.0 disk, so doesn't have a sub channel. If your setup has some sort of bass management, then it will crossover bass from L/R/surr to the subwoofer. It'll be in the menus for something somewhere. Depends if you need it to do the bass management or not, but both streams should be the same.

And.... glad you like it!!

Just listened to this again. It really hit the spot this time, really enjoyed it (together with a whisky and mince pie :cool:). Excellent surround mix. A 9 from me.

As Sukothai says. It is a 4.0 disk, so doesn't have a sub channel. If your setup has some sort of bass management, then it will crossover bass from L/R/surr to the subwoofer. It'll be in the menus for something somewhere. Depends if you need it to do the bass management or not, but both streams should be the same.

And.... glad you like it!!

Just for the record - (he said record....hmmm..hmmm.) I had a setting on the AVR accidently activated and it was bypassing my sub in that particular format. So, all is good now...still sounds wonderful.

I find this smashingly good. it's got great Floyd sounding like songs without ripping them off, with nice glissando guitar and no annoying cow bells or clarinets. I look forward to any future releases.:smokin

Just got this disc in the post today and I am currently on my second listen through right now.
Definitely better than the first time around that's for sure! This one will grow on you!

Others have mentioned it before, but this album is very Pink Floyd like in its nature, which is part of what gives the album it's charm. Then again, some bits also remind me of Porcupine Tree, so essentially it's just a good new sounding Prog record that has somewhat of an homage to the past.
The surround mix is not gimmicky at all, but just very well done and tasteful. Every thing seems to naturally be where it should be.

Don't know if I have any favorite tracks at this point as they are all pretty good, so this one gets a solid '9'. Nice work, Andy! :)

Oh and BTW, there's MLP 4.0 and 2.0 for DVD-A players and DTS 96/24 4.0 and LPCM stereo for DVD-V, so I don't know why on earth DolbyTruHD and DTS-HD MA would be listed on the back as I thought those were just for Blu-Ray…

Oh and BTW, there's MLP 4.0 and 2.0 for DVD-A players and DTS 96/24 4.0 and LPCM stereo for DVD-V,
I have a question about this. Just received the Deluxe set of discs today (Love it! But more about that later) and am playing the DVD in my Panasonic DMP-BD65 which is not DVD-A compatible. I honestly took a chance, not sure if it would play at all or perhaps more correctly, what I would be able to play off it. I am unable to play it in a true surround mode. Is that to be expected on a DVD-V player? When I choose stereo/PCM mode on the menu it plays at 48 kHz 2 channel and when I choose DTS it plays at HiRez 96 kHz but in 2 channel mode also, hence I have been playing it in PLII music mode by default, which I do with most 2 channel sources.

I wasn't sure what to expect prior to listening but instantly took a shine to the music. I'm on my second run through now and all I can say is I really like it. Creative, musical and great sound. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit without hearing it the way Andy intended it with his quad surround mix but nonetheless it sounds wonderful in fake surround.

@Andy Jackson - Kudos!

correction: both lpcm stereo and DTS play at 96 kHz 2 channel. The menu plays at 48 kHz.

Last edited:
I have a question about this. Just received the Deluxe set of discs today (Love it! But more about that later) and am playing the DVD in my Panasonic DMP-BD65 which is not DVD-A compatible. I honestly took a chance, not sure if it would play at all or perhaps more correctly, what I would be able to play off it. I am unable to play it in a true surround mode. Is that to be expected on a DVD-V player? When I choose stereo/PCM mode on the menu it plays at 48 kHz 2 channel and when I choose DTS it plays at HiRez 96 kHz but in 2 channel mode also, hence I have been playing it in PLII music mode by default, which I do with most 2 channel sources.

I wasn't sure what to expect prior to listening but instantly took a shine to the music. I'm on my second run through now and all I can say is I really like it. Creative, musical and great sound. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit without hearing it the way Andy intended it with his quad surround mix but nonetheless it sounds wonderful in fake surround.

@Andy Jackson - Kudos!

correction: both lpcm stereo and DTS play at 96 kHz 2 channel. The menu plays at 48 kHz.

Strange - I'll check the DTS stream on my player(s).. Maybe your player doesn't handle the DTS 4.0 (as opposed to a more common DTS 5.1) stream properly?

Strange - I'll check the DTS streanm on my player(s).. Maybe your player doesn't handle the DTS 4.0 (as opposed to a more common DTS 5.1) stream properly?

That could be. The only other DVD surround music disc I own is Love, which plays as it should in DTS 5.1, though I was led to believe from what I've read that it is some kind of a DVD-A/DVD-V hybrid. Not sure that my understanding of that is correct either.

That could be. The only other DVD surround music disc I own is Love, which plays as it should in DTS 5.1, though I was led to believe from what I've read that it is some kind of a DVD-A/DVD-V hybrid. Not sure that my understanding of that is correct either.

Signal to Noise is a DVD-A/V disc also - most (commercial) DVD-As are hybrids...

Signal to Noise is a DVD-A/V disc also - most (commercial) DVD-As are hybrids...

Thanks for clarifying that. It might be that my player does not recognize DTS 4.0 as you suggested. I went to the manual and there is no mention of DTS 4.0, so I suppose it might just default to 2 channel.

@Andy Jackson - Kudos!

How is your player connected to your amp? HDMI or Optical cable?

I've a 2nd player a Panasonic DMP-BD45EB-K which is used for DVDs, connected to the TV via HDMI, and to the amp optical cable. I'll give the Signal-to-noise DVD a spin on it tomorrow as I'm working from home and see what it does and report back.

I figured out the problem. I have to go into the player's audio menu and manually select "DTS 2/2ch". For some reason selecting either choice on the disc menu defaults to LPCM 2 channel; don't know if that's a disc issue or my player but irrelevant at this point. Very nice in 4.0!

So I should be able to play most DVD-As in my player then as they are mostly hybrids? I've been reluctant to purchase any DVD-As up to this point, thinking Love was some kind of exception. Sorry for the thread drift.

How is your player connected to your amp? HDMI or Optical cable?

I've a 2nd player a Panasonic DMP-BD45EB-K which is used for DVDs, connected to the TV via HDMI, and to the amp optical cable. I'll give the Signal-to-noise DVD a spin on it tomorrow as I'm working from home and see what it does and report back.

HDMI. Thanks for the offer but all is good now as I mentioned above!

Back