Jaco - Brian Bromberg

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This one has not been discussed to my recollection on this forum. I know it is an old one but I am catching up on a few I have had on my list now that nothing has been released lately and after all this one is 96/24 which seems to be something that is disappearing these days. This is a very good disc if you like "funky jazz." Brian brings his own interpretation to the Pastorius numbers but that is not necessarily a bad thing. This disc makes full use generally of all your speakers equally. Percussion and horns in the rears, yes, and even bass back there. It's a good workout for your system and it's just what the doctor ordered for those rear speakers that are constantly complaining about having little to do. Of course the bass is awesome throughout. Tight and deep.

Thanks Guy for mentioning this disc. I just got it, and am very happy with it. I like a little jazz, but am not too familiar with the catagory. The surround was very good, and the music was good as well. I would have missed this if not for this post. THANKS. :)

MIDIQ said:
Thanks Guy for mentioning this disc. I just got it, and am very happy with it. I like a little jazz, but am not too familiar with the catagory. The surround was very good, and the music was good as well. I would have missed this if not for this post. THANKS. :)

No problem. I have quite a bit of hi-rez jazz.

I listened to this for the first time last night and am hugely impressed with the playing and interpretations (synth on Portrait Of Tracy aside).

It sounds really good and is mixed in a variety of different surround styles, some mostly ambient, some with instruments placed all around, some very mobile with instruments flying round the room. Multiple duelling overdubbed basses popping up all over the room - works for me

I'm a bass player and a jaco fan so may have a bias here but if I actually had a list of my top ten surround albums this would certainly be in it.

I'm surprised that it hasnt garnered more attention on the forum - I guess that solo bass albums. have a rather niche audience. Theres a few for sale on discogs for around $10-20. An absolute bargain imo.

I listened to this for the first time last night and am hugely impressed with the playing and interpretations (synth on Portrait Of Tracy aside).

It sounds really good and is mixed in a variety of different surround styles, some mostly ambient, some with instruments placed all around, some very mobile with instruments flying round the room. Multiple duelling overdubbed basses popping up all over the room - works for me

I'm a bass player and a jaco fan so may have a bias here but if I actually had a list of my top ten surround albums this would certainly be in it.

I'm surprised that it hasnt garnered more attention on the forum - I guess that solo bass albums. have a rather niche audience. Theres a few for sale on discogs for around $10-20. An absolute bargain imo.
I also like this one; and these SACDs dedicated to Jaco are very good IMO also

https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Big-Band-The-Word-Is-Out/release/1929257
https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Big-Band-Word-Of-Mouth-Revisited/release/1795899

To my knowledge, I was just tossing out two albums that are a great starting point to check him out.
I only found 1 5.1 version on discogs for $50. All the dvd-a are the high rez stereo option. Can you throw a link so I can see what I did wrong?

To my knowledge, I was just tossing out two albums that are a great starting point to check him out.
I only found 1 5.1 version on discogs for $50. All the dvd-a are the high rez stereo option. Can you throw a link so I can see what I did wrong?

This IS MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24

R-10473276-1498155825-1835.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Bromberg-Jaco/release/10473276

I bought three of these bromberg dvd audio hi res discs sealed in a goodwill about 10 years ago and have never opened any of them. I pm'd Jon about this title years ago and he told me to send a photo and he would get it on the website, but I didn't know how to get him a photo. I have never the disc on this website until this thread.

Back