Jakko Jakszyk Innerviews interview 2019-07-09

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various BSS special/anniversary releases have included 'alternate' stereo mixes of the album , in addition to the two 5.1 mixes we now have.

The 2008 Sanctuary CD/SACD 'Deluxe Edition' includes the original mix, the Klingberg & Kellogg DVDA 5.1 mix from 2000, in SACD format (not Mark Powell, it is not different AFAICT), and all of this additional stuff in stereo:

Bonus Tracks
CD2-1 When The Apple Blossoms Bloom In The Windmills Of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine Time
CD2-2 Brain Salad Surgery
CD2-3 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Original Backing Track)
CD2-4 Jerusalem
CD2-5 Still ... You Turn Me On
CD2-6 Tocatta (First Mix)
CD2-7 Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 1 (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-8 Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2 (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-9 Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-10 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-11 Excerpts From Brain Salad Surgery (From The NME Flexidisc 1973)
CD2-12 Untitled [Excerpts]

The 2014 Box with Jakkos' mix includes this disc of stereo alternates (as well the remastered original mix, a disc of the Jakkos' new two-channel remix, and a DVDA of his, er, *controversial* 5.1 remix)

The Alternate Brain Salad Surgery
2.1 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Original Backing Track)
2.2 Jerusalem (First Mix)
2.3 Still... You Turn Me On (First Mix)
2.4 Toccata (Alternate Version)
2.5 Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 1 (Alternate Version)
2.6 Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 2 (Alternate Version)
2.7 Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression (Alternate Version)
2.8 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Alternate Version)
2.9 Excerpts From Brain Salad Surgery (NME Flexi Disc Version)
2.10 When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine (B-Side Single K13503)
2.11 Brain Salad Surgery (B-Side Single K10946)
2.12 Brain Salad Surgery (Instrumental)
2.13 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Different Version)

There was a Sanctuary (or was it Castle?) CD-only release at one point, circa 2004, featuring a weird mix of BSS that people concluded was a fold-down of K&Ks DVDA 5.1 mix.

Although I possess all of these, I can't say I've ever bothered to compare them carefully to see what's identical to what, except for the 'three' (really two) 5.1 mixes.

Last edited:
Various BSS special/anniversary releases have included 'alternate' stereo mixes of the album , in addition to the two 5.1 mixes we now have.

The 2008 Sanctuary CD/SACD 'Deluxe Edition' includes the original mix, the Klingberg & Kellogg DVDA 5.1 mix from 2000, in SACD format (not Mark Powell, it is not different AFAICT), and all of this additional stuff in stereo:

Bonus Tracks
CD2-1 When The Apple Blossoms Bloom In The Windmills Of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine Time
CD2-2 Brain Salad Surgery
CD2-3 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Original Backing Track)
CD2-4 Jerusalem
CD2-5 Still ... You Turn Me On
CD2-6 Tocatta (First Mix)
CD2-7 Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 1 (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-8 Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2 (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-9 Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-10 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Unreleased Until 35th Anniversary Version)
CD2-11 Excerpts From Brain Salad Surgery (From The NME Flexidisc 1973)
CD2-12 Untitled [Excerpts]

The 2014 Box with Jakkos' mix includes this disc of stereo alternates (as well the remastered original mix, a disc of the Jakkos' new two-channel remix, and a DVDA of his, er, *controversial* 5.1 remix)

The Alternate Brain Salad Surgery
2.1 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Original Backing Track)
2.2 Jerusalem (First Mix)
2.3 Still... You Turn Me On (First Mix)
2.4 Toccata (Alternate Version)
2.5 Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 1 (Alternate Version)
2.6 Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 2 (Alternate Version)
2.7 Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression (Alternate Version)
2.8 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Alternate Version)
2.9 Excerpts From Brain Salad Surgery (NME Flexi Disc Version)
2.10 When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine (B-Side Single K13503)
2.11 Brain Salad Surgery (B-Side Single K10946)
2.12 Brain Salad Surgery (Instrumental)
2.13 Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (Different Version)

There was a Sanctuary (or was it Castle?) CD-only release at one point, circa 2004, featuring a weird mix of BSS that people concluded was a fold-down of K&Ks DVDA 5.1 mix.

Although I possess all of these, I can't say I've ever bothered to compare them carefully to see what's identical to what, except for the 'three' (really two) 5.1 mixes.

Thank you for taking the time, and the wealth of information.

I should mention that these alternate BSS discs in various packages are not the more interesting one that Jakko prepared and mentions in his Innerviews talk ( Jakko Jakszyk - Giving voice), but the cheap label wouldn't add to their penurious box

Somehow the Sanctuary 5.1 from 2008 sounds different to me [ I seem to remember Tocatta in particular causing me to immediately put on the Rhino Tocatta right afterwards]. However, I do not have the advanced forensic equipment/software available to me [and probably not the wherewithal] to determine whether same AFAICT or not

Though an amateur compared to most more technically knowledgeable populating this forum, I am nonetheless a great multichannel enthusiast of STUDIO recordings [non-classical]. At last count, I have 558 legitimate 5.1 album releases. ALSO, another 100 or so privately-ripped [DTS-encoded] albums taken directly from 70's quad media sources [i did not make these transfers, there used to be an enthusiast who would make copies for $10 per album from his files]. The number of these CD-R burns keeps decreasing as I add/substitute recent legit issues of Quad media - most recently acquired a spate of titles in one big batch from Vocalion

fwiw the Rhino DVD Audio and Sanctuary SACD are the same mix.

Jerusalem Rhino DVD Audio:

C26883B6-5389-4039-83FE-559BB1FDE554.jpeg

Jerusalem Sanctuary SACD:

1709EE63-EE31-49B2-B433-2F6871177C41.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time, and the wealth of information.

I should mention that these alternate BSS discs in various packages are not the more interesting one that Jakko prepared and mentions in his Innerviews talk ( Jakko Jakszyk - Giving voice), but the cheap label wouldn't add to their penurious box

While there's no demo featuring band chatter that Jakko talked about, on the 2014 set as released, I'm not sure he knows what was on it -- it sounds like he never heard it. How else to explain the gross imbalance that starts the 3rd Impression? The weird mashup of the organ solo? Is he aware of all the 'alternate albums' stuff?

I already pointed out that the mystery he related about the Olympic Studios take of 'KE9 1st impression Part 2"actually concerns 'known knowledge'. While most of BSS was tracked at Advision, ELP did the first BSS session at Olympic -- recording the KE9 1st Impression with Chris Kimsey at the board. The liner notes to the original LP indicate this, in a way, They credit Kimsey for the engineering of just the 1st Impression, indicating a different session from the rest of the tracks. IIRC ICE magazine told the story of how that tapes for that 'Impression' were found not at Advision, but at Olympic, when the album was being remastered for CD from the original masters for the first time (it was either the Victory or Rhino remaster, I forget which -- this places it in the early 1990s) ). It was also mentioned in CD release liner notes and the 2000 DVD-A liner notes.* Almost certainly recounted in Edward Macan's huge ELP book, and it's even noted on the BSS Wikipedia page! The "guy that ran the archive in England " who told Jakko ELP had never recorded at Olympic, clearly did not know what he was talking about. But it doesn't seem that Jakko did much due diligence.

* It's odd btw that by 2000 when the DVD-A came out, the two track OMTs were claimed to be 'lost', to explain why there was no 2 channel remastering on that set. I'm skeptical. They had already been digitally archived in the 1990s.

Somehow the Sanctuary 5.1 from 2008 sounds different to me [ I seem to remember Tocatta in particular causing me to immediately put on the Rhino Tocatta right afterwards]. However, I do not have the advanced forensic equipment/software available to me [and probably not the wherewithal] to determine whether same AFAICT or not

I did a waveform comparison once of the DVDA vs SACD. IIRC , the EQ is *slightly* different on the SACD, which surprised me. The mixes, in terms of sound placement, are exactly the same, though.

Back