Jakko Jakszyk - "Secrets & Lies" (CD/DVD w/5.1 mix coming 2020.10.23)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The song "The borders we traded" is a treat in surround, with all the layers of voices floating around. And it segues beautifully into "Trading borders", with its wonderful whistles played by Jakko.
Separation is the 2020 Crimson incarnation that never made a record but I wish they would have.

Overall, a much better album than I expected and Jakko's mixing skills are definitely good, what not guided by someone else

Just picked up my copy from Bull Moose. Halfway through and I'm enjoying this quite a bit. The ballads are sort of same-y sounding, but they alternate with more Crim-inspired material, so it all balances out. Mix is very nice - full use of rears and some nice discrete moments. I'll vote in the poll once I get through the whole album, but thumbs up so far!

Fripp's short solo in "Separation" is just nasty!!

Edit: Fripp has several excellent solos in "Separation" - I hope that the current lineup of KC plays this song if and when their rescheduled tour resumes next year.

Three tracks in, stunning use of the center channel, prominent bass & drums, shocking contrast compared to the stereo mix.

:51QQ

"Trust me, Dad, turn up that bass a little."
😇

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 1.37.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Having digested the stereo mix for about a week now (great album!), I'm left kind of frustrated by my first listen to the 5.1 mix. The spread of instruments in surround is great--there's lots of good stuff happening in the rears and even a few panning effects--but something seems off to me tonally with the 5.1 mix. I'm not sure if it's purely levels or EQ-related, but the bass guitar on the 5.1 sounds kind of 'tubby' and out-of-balance with the rest of the instruments. I also thought the overall level between songs didn't seem quite right at times: "The Borders We Traded" is much louder than everything else and "Separation" felt too quiet. Need to evaluate further and play with some settings before I vote...

Back