Dual Disc Jane's Addiction- Strays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Led9

Just picked up a Dual-Disc version of this from a music dealer in the U.K. for $25 with shipping to the U.S. Very happy to confirm that it does have the album in 5.1 on it. In fact, according to my player it is DVD-A and not DTS! So far it plays fine with no bugs in my player. Not a bad mix either. I understand this is pretty rare as only 1000 were pressed for a test market in two US cities. Not sure how this one ended up in the UK. I didn't even know this existed until I saw the DualDisc list on here. A well kept secret as I've been a huge Jane's Addiction and surround fan for ages and still never heard a peep about this mix existing.

Rick

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Got one from a seller on Amazon US.
Nowhere does it say MLP or DVD-A on the cover or booklet. But the menu says advanced resolution 5.1 and the oppo says MLP when I
press the audio button. Also, nowhere on the cover does it say entire album in 5.1, but it is. Also DD 5.1.
A sticker on the case says 'made in Austria'.
Not all songs have an aggressive surround mix, but good disc to have.

vinylguy4

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Got one from a seller on Amazon US.
Nowhere does it say MLP or DVD-A on the cover or booklet. But the menu says advanced resolution 5.1 and the oppo says MLP when I
press the audio button. Also, nowhere on the cover does it say entire album in 5.1, but it is. Also DD 5.1.
A sticker on the case says 'made in Austria'.
Not all songs have an aggressive surround mix, but good disc to have.

vinylguy4

Cool thanks! If you could please post any further details on how to ID this version on Amazon and/or the sellers ID that would be greatly appreciated. I don't see any version of this on Amazon being ID'd as dualdisc etc.

Yeah, after reading this thread I went looking too. There don't seem to be any around for sale. I can't even find a copy of the DD track to download.

I saw some advertised as "Limited Edition CD with bonus DVD", but that's not it?

Not from what I can tell... "includes never before seen live, studio, and interview footage." I suppose that it could also have the disc in 5.1, but I'm not buying until I hear that it does for certain.

The disc was listed under the CD and DVD combo for Strays, I do not know what the DVD on that combo contains.
Seller did say in his used listing that disc was a dualdisc, so that is why I chose that one.
Seller only had one, came from a private collection.
I did a bit more looking around, wikipedia has some info on this disc.
It was a test market dualdisc, but not in the initial batch, and not released after the test
market period in Seattle and Boston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualDisc
Now that I look closely at the logo, I do see the DVD with Audio just under it.

vinylguy4

Attachments

• JA_barcode.jpg
    JA_barcode.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 596
May have gotten lucky on ebay. Found one in very good condition for .99 + 3.00 shipping. No mention of Dualdisc or UPC, but the photo of the cover had the Dualdisc logo on it. It's a gamble, but a cheap one.

Lucky you. I used to get lucky on ebay and amazon with photos of dvd audios described as a dvd but that doesn't happen anymore :(

The 2 disc version definitely does not have the surround mix on it, only the dual disc does. The UPC codes are different for both as well.

Rick

Missed it too while doing new releases I think. Arent's the old DVDA / DullDisc lists pages around somewhere?

DullDisc was such a foggy format to begin with; okay what's *really* on the DVD side?

My gamble didn't pay off. The ebay seller who showed a picture of the Dualdisc in the listing sent me the regular (enhanced) CD. Back to the hunt!

Holy crap, how did I miss this? My fav alternative rock band, produced by Bob Ezrin, in surround? I only heard the single, and saw them on tour, and was really missing Eric Avery. This I've got to hunt for now...

I can't believe a DVD-A snuck by this group! I mean, even if it's a DualDisc, it should have gotten some play here.

Right under our noses!!!!

I could swear I looked at this dualdisc in a Best Buy when it first came out, but didn't see any indication of surroud on it so I passed. If I'd have known it was surround, I would have bought it without hesitation.

Another one slips away along with the Cardigans and Scorpions :( .

there are some things better than quad - and thats live - ive see thes fuckers about 7 times - once with a band - 24/7 spies...i went up on the crowd - to surf - but every time i ended up being moved towards the stage....which is no fault of mine - you just go where the hands push you - well, like i said, every time i got close to the stage - the guitar player - dave - kept kicking me in the head...as if he were keeping me from getting on stage - i didnt want onstage - those guys get beat-up backstage - so here i was riding this wave that kept me headed towards the stage and i kept getting kicked in the head - a brush with greatness that i wished would end - so on the third or fourth time i was headed to the stage - head first and on my back - i looked up - which was at the stage from that perspective and yelled - "quit kicking me fucker!" so he spit on me.

flea from the red hot chili peppers spit on me too - not bragging - just coincidence.

i threw a lemon on stage at a robert plant show - and he threw it right back at me - i caught it and gave it to the girl i was with....AND DID NOT GET LAID.

hello to all - w.a.reid

Reactions: PK
Back