Japan Exclusive Equipment - Very Rare Stuff!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess Panasonic thinks the future for TV is portable devices, so will anyone notice 4K on a portable device? Eventually I guess we're all supposed to live in portable houses too.

Good point. Actually, now that I think of it, I've NEVER seen a piece of electronic equipment with Japanese/Chinese/Korean, etc, lettering. Even the stuff sold overseas.

Has anyone?

I just am amazed they would be at it again. Means they think streaming will kill BR, players are already $40. Can't make $ on those. The link above mentions the plethora of failed sony insanity. The mention failed formats and Sony as a company takes #1. They used to make fabulous TVs, and I use wonderful Sony pre amps to do my quad room. They have been a step behind chasing markets forever now, and it is catching up.. They are not known for anything but a screwy company.

Yes Tad, Nick sent me those pictures a few years ago, so that might in fact be the unit you obtained.

As for Sony, well, I can't say I do not disagree with you, the thing is, Sony has splintered into so many pieces, one piece knows not what the other is doing, which is a shame, but yes, they try every which way they can to corner a market. Remember when they had their own proprietary memory sticks for cameras and such? MiniDiscs? CX Discs? Beta? There are too many to recall.

Wasn't CX a CBS process?

Yes it was, again second in line. They must have made something back, Pioneer licenced it for laserdiscs. I have a few CX decoders with quite a few records. Probably going to Ebay them one of they days. The LPS were few here in USA, maybe 20 or so, but quite a few in Europe. Holland pressings (yea i know it is only an area, but they put Holland on their records) are quite numerous. They just issued them as regular issues LPs for a couple years. And like DBX it made the LP have a extended dynamic range. It can be stunning, analog with that kind of range, and presence. Here is the decoder. Of the 3 this is the highest serial # and it says 430.
100_8396.JPG100_8397.JPG

Those are some amazing pictures! Knowing that all that stuff is out there somewhere encourages me to keep hunting.

TECHNICS SH3400 QUADRAPHONIC CONTROL CENTER

Really Japan only? I found this one here in Germany, an earlier version of this I guess. It is branded as a National Panasonic. And it is for 220V.

-Kristian

Did he send pics of the JVC CD-4 units for all to see? Those are the real deal. Very few made. I would grab the Sansui preamp, Nice piece.
The uds tmx unit in the middle, was one i sold on epay a while back. Got it in a trade with Nick years ago. Looks like it, that may be an old shot. No software that anyone gives a care about- 18 total perhaps..... Basically a boat anchor. WHY? Instead of expanding QS functionality we got Sony. Because the greed marches on.
QS works perfect with good equipment.
Sony wanted in on the action. SO We get SQ. Wasn't that fun. We own content, we can do what we want. Time to divide the pricks up. Can not own the material and the delivery system. LIKE COMCAST and CELL PHONE COMPANIES. And Banks!!! Any of you idiots in the justice department ever heard of anti trust??? NOT SINCE RAYGUN SCREWED THIS COUNTRY.
HOW NOW? Now they are trying another format!!! Yes it is 2012 and we get another format. I just heard that Sony is releasing movies in Ultra HD and they will have 60 to start. FUCK YOU SONY. YOU HAVE SCREWED THE WHOLE ENTERTAINMENT WORLD WITH YOUR FORMAT WARS. FUCK YOU AGAIN. They screwed up quad and dvd audio, now with bluray they have killed hi rez music also. Here we go again. Need a new TV to play the new format. SONY HAS THAT TOO.
MIDDLE FINGER EXTENDED.

Again if someone did not hear it. WE LOVE YOU SONY AND WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO CONTAIN MATERIAL, FORMATS, AND THE WHOLE ENTERTAINMENT WORLD. Check out the wars they lose on a normal basis. http://brainz.org/12-format-war-losers/ These idiots are classless losers.

FUCK YOU SONY. YOU HAVE SCREWED THE WHOLE ENTERTAINMENT WORLD WITH YOUR FORMAT WARS. FUCK YOU AGAIN. They screwed up quad and dvd audio, now with bluray they have killed hi rez music also. Here we go again. Need a new TV to play the new format. SONY HAS THAT TOO.
MIDDLE FINGER EXTENDED.
My thoughts also! frigging company has caused me headaches before with beta then sacd and dvd audio. It's like WTF are you guys doing? Purpose? who knows, just to be neg. or just make shit happen?

wow! he even has the elusive sh-3434- I want one so badly, good to see someone else is a Technics fan

This thread contains pictures sent to me by a quad collector of the highest order. These pictures show some of the rarest quad stuff in the world, from the glorious 1970's era of quadraphonics! Enjoy and speculate!!

:yikes

Be still my beating heart!!! What a collection of awesome gear.

Justin

That Technics 3434 with the toggles just blows my mind...many lesser manufacturers (most from Japan or Taiwan) used the idea to sell the concept of quad to the public worldwide via Sears, Woolworth, other chains, but the overall decks simply sucked (IMO) from what I'd sampled at the time (leading me to buy separate components rather than the 'complete' systems some companies, like Sylvania, were hawking).

The Sansui is pretty solid, too...and if I ever get back Up North I will bring back a few stereo Sansui amps that are currently in storage and make a 'pure' setup out of 'em, which, given their inherent sensetivity to the lower and upper ranges will make them very nifty to hear again, indeed.

ED :)

I've collected a house full of vintage electronics from the 70's that I got dirt cheap from thrift stores in the last 25 years and most of it still works. I have stereo systems set up all over the place. I have found a couple of quad tape decks and a marantz quadapter (pawn shop-wasn't cheap) but I have never seen equipment from the quadraphonic era... eg..quad amps, quad preamps, quad decoders or any such stuff like the pictures in this thread because I believe it wasn't widely available. I'd give my right arm to find a sansui (or whatever) quad preamp!

Back