Japan Sony To Release "Birds Of Fire" from Mahavishnu Orchestra/John Mclaughlin on Multichannel Hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To refresh your memories [and mine as well] here are the 53 votes cast for the Birds of Fire QQ poll:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...orchestra-the-birds-of-fire-sacd.20985/page-9
It seems the main complaint was the existence of drums in the rears, only.

Seems a shame that Audio Fidelity had to pay $30K for the privilege of releasing Birds of Fire on QUAD SACD only to have it re~released a scant few years later by SONY when fan favorites like the Santana QUADS and SO MANY OTHERS, remain UNRELEASED.

Doesn't anyone at SONY Japan peruse QQ Forum?

Would anyone else besides myself have preferred Santana/John McLaughlin's LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER in QUAD, instead?

See the source image

Last edited:
Looking at CDJapan, there are some other releases coming out in October, most notably Let it Be, maybe a good time to bundle and save on shipping?

Look at the Bitches Brew one ....it says quad.
(I'm pretty new to this ...I'm wary because of Amazon !)
Here ya go; I painstakingly translated this for ya ;)

The 4th JAZZ masterpiece SA-CD multi-hybrid edition following Miles Davis's "Bitches Brew", "Live-Evil" and Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters". The legendary masterpiece, whose SQ analog and SA-CD have not been released in Japan since its release, revives vividly from the analog master with the latest mastering in 2021 and hits the five senses of what you hear. John McLaughlin, who also recorded a song with his own name in "Bitches Brew", formed his own band <Mahavishnu Orchestra> in 1971. The second album "Phoenix" released in May 1973 is called the band's biggest hit and masterpiece, which ranked 15th on the US charts. A thrilling incandescent sound of super players such as Jan Hammer, who later participated in Jeff Beck's "Wired", and Billy Cobham, who was playing with Miles. Shocked both jazz and rock fans (* Rick Laird passed away on July 4, 2021, Gassho). Overwhelmed by the overflowing and swirling energy and the play of the McLaughlin soul that runs through the sky! 2021 latest mastering 7-inch paper jacket specification original analog reprint. Originally planned in Japan.

YMMV

Ordered from CDJapan, with the current Discount on offer of 300Yen & the 224 points I had, it was £23.15, went for registered airmail at £9.26 as the better couriers DHL/FedEx) were twice the cost and when you add in the £12 tax gathering fee and the VAT at around £5 which I will end up paying, getting it will still cost more than the disc! (I couldn't find anything else I really wanted to add to it to reduce the overall cost)

While this release is good news I also have the AF quad so ill pass. If reviews show its a major upgrade well maybe I can add it to a shipment of the new Santana quad sacd release...

While this release is good news I also have the AF quad so ill pass. If reviews show its a major upgrade well maybe I can add it to a shipment of the new Santana quad sacd release...
Same thoughts
It does say it's a limited release somewhere IINM, so don't know how long it will last, maybe the market for this old music and format is tiny and we can wait, IDK.

Back