Japan Sony To Release "Birds Of Fire" from Mahavishnu Orchestra/John Mclaughlin on Multichannel Hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a great album, for sure. The AF release "The Collection" in 4.0 also has the one track Birds Of Fire.
This is a tough one, the collector in me of course wants to get the new upcoming release, but not sure what to do.

I guess we are somewhat spoilt when an announcement like this makes me shrug and go «meh»... I adore the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and I have been hoping, praying for a Sony Japan announcement soon. And then this makes me think «missed opportunity», a bit like the Head Hunters release last year. I already have this on the AF SACD.

On a more positive note, this shows that:
- Sony Japan are still releasing Quad SACDs
- maybe, just maybe Between Nothingness and Eternity will be next?

I guess we are somewhat spoilt when an announcement like this makes me shrug and go «meh»... I adore the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and I have been hoping, praying for a Sony Japan announcement soon. And then this makes me think «missed opportunity», a bit like the Head Hunters release last year. I already have this on the AF SACD.

On a more positive note, this shows that:
- Sony Japan are still releasing Quad SACDs
- maybe, just maybe Between Nothingness and Eternity will be next?

it is encouraging for sure and a relief during these bizarre times where most of what we have to get excited about in surround is streaming Atmos rather than new physical releases!

really hope they follow it up with the Live Quad, its a good'un with an arguably better Quad mix than Birds Of Fire (y)

I had to order this one... the Japanese 7" Quad releases are pretty much the only series that are automatic purchases for me anymore, and I really want to help keep them coming (otherwise, my automatic purchases are dependent on the mixer... Scheiner, Wilson, & Reed surround releases are still automatic but all other purchases are now depend on the price and the reviews)

I have this on SQ and there is not one song on the record I like. I can even go so far as to say I dislike the entire album. My question is of all the quads they could release, why pick why this one? C'mon Santana lll

I have this on SQ and there is not one song on the record I like. I can even go so far as to say I dislike the entire album. My question is of all the quads they could release, why pick why this one? C'mon Santana lll
I totally understand your feelings on this one, I bought the 7" Miles' Live Evil, and a little of Mclaughlin's guitar style goes a long waaaaaaaaay with me. Don't even listen to Live Evil unless it comes up on a Random SACD play session.

I'll probably still get this, bound to be a good investment in the future (if you're into that.)

The packaging is usually off the charts gorgeous on all of these also, so there's that (again, if you're into that sort of thing.)

Can you imagine the look of a legit 7" Santana Borboletta or Amigos release? 🤯
ooops- back to Santana ;)

I think I'll succumb it takes me back to the innocent age (well mostly! :devilish::sneaky:) of being 16. Plus I do like the Japanese 7" re-release packaging......not a marble in sight!

I originally bought it back in 1973 on cassette, then later on LP, the SQ LP, CD, Remastered CD, and AF 4.0 SACD

Back