Japanese market Technics CD-4 Console with cool looking receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question if I might. The receiver has a Tape Monitor function with a switch on front that toggles between “Source” and “Tape”. On the back there are in/outs for Aux, Record Out, and Playback. Are the ‘‘Playback’ and “Record” inputs for the tape monitor function? See picture below. There is a DIN connector on front for tape deck so I am assuming what those sets of inputs are for since there is only one AUX input. I am so confused :unsure:

K
41A3D5F1-F743-428B-A5EA-A4C0D600C6CA.jpeg

Are the ‘‘Playback’ and “Record” inputs for the tape monitor function?

Yes.

The Din connector on the front should be a duplication of the RCA in the back, either will work.

Last edited:
Yes.

The Din connector on the front should be a duplication of the RCA in the back, either will work.

OK, so you are saying that I could use the “Playback” input for another source? I currently am running my Q8 deck through the Aux.

OK, so you are saying that I could use the “Playback” input for another source? I currently am running my Q8 deck through the Aux.

Yes, as long is Line level.

Yes, as long is Line level.

Thank you. Will try it out tonight. Am excited to get it set up and hooked up to my other pieces. Right now it is just on the floor looking sad :( I really love the thing so far and I am glad that I ran across that YouTube video that featured it. Haven’t been able to find it since but oh well.....it certainly got me salivating for one myself. :p

Well I got the Technics integrated into my system now and she is off the floor. I am pretty happy with the system now but think I might try to get a better Q8 deck.......maybe one that records. Or I could go for a SACD player but would need one with a very small footprint. Not sure if those are even available? I have changed my mind about the Fosgate processor after not using it for awhile. I was kind of down on it but actually it sounds pretty darn good. Maybe because I was listening to nothing but 8 tracks there for awhile 🤔. I still have the Tate that I wanted to recap but haven’t got around to bring it to the shop. Maybe i’ll just stick it back on EBay if I proscrastinate much longer.

By the way, there is another unit just like mine up on buyee.jp right now if anyone is interested. It would be nice to have someone else own one also. Another club member so to speak.

96F07840-2963-4D75-9699-5E34F83D8E7F.jpeg

Here are a few different variations of the Technics CD-4 package. Apparently these seem to be much more common and were sold outside of Japan but not in the US. The Technics SS-2900D is shown in the first picture. Same general package but the receiver seems to be a bit thriftier with no scope and a different tuning dial. I think that they both look nice but the SS-2900 looks a bit cheaper than the one below. Well at least to me it does.

And here is a great picture of one that seems to be identical to mine but minus the scope with a Technics reel to reel and a pair of mismatched speakers. It is model number SC-2200DX.

0832C58E-ABCE-4904-B7BB-77064C6A4EA7.jpeg

58ADB876-B06D-46B6-BD9A-C7E43BCDE40F.jpeg

And here is a fourth model, the SC-8400dx which seems to be the bottom of the line model. No adjustable AFD but two matrix positions. Confusing yes?

D011BBB0-0906-4D7D-9967-FD81B2EC83E8.jpeg

And even another one. The SS-7700 which looks to be a bit more modern......well at least by a couple of years. Not sure if this was sold in the US or not? I kinda like the looks of it and especially the turntable with the silver and black base. Didn’t seem to come with a cabinet from what I can tell.

909F5B76-0941-4262-83FB-75EDCDECFB5D.jpeg

Last edited:
But wait......there’s more. This is the SC-1250. There was also a SC-1150 that looked similiar. And another one that was a SC-1500 or something. It must had been 250 better than the SC-1250. It is hard to believe that they had so many different variations of something so similiar and that was sold as a whole system. Seems like a lot of $ to go into new designs, advertising, fabrication, etc.

These models seem to not have any CD-4 demodulator and were fairly basic but still nice.

DB46F7F7-8B56-4B67-984C-A206C46F8819.jpeg

Back